Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 807 posts · 475 votes
I purchased a property in Dade County in 2013. The property was on the same parcel as another condominium building.
The purchase contract stated this in the additional terms-
“Seller, as a condition subsequent to closing, shall remove and sever the subject properties from the condominium regime.”
When I recently went to sell the building, the buyers attorney informed me the land was never separated from the condominium with the city. Furthermore the city will not allow the separation as it would not meet their size and setback requirements. The buyer therefor backed out of the sale.
After extensive investigation, it was discovered that the sellers attorney executed the separation of the property with the county but not with the city.
The city will not issue any permits for work on the property unless it rejoins the condominium association.
Rejoining the condominium could trigger them to ask for backpay of 7 years HOA dues. It will also reduce the value of the building as it will be tied to a HOA and have ongoing fees payable.
I am trying to decide the best course of action forward.
1. Make a claim with the title insurance company because I feel they never should have issued title insurance on the property to begin with. I am unsure if I can make a valid claim and would value any feedback here.
2. Request the seller and his attorney hire a zoning attorney to battle with the city and obtain a variance to allow the plot to be legalised.
3. Sue the seller alleging they had an intention of fraud. I would argue they were aware the city would not allow the separation due to the size and setbacks, hence they sold the property and said the severance would be done after the sale. I am not sure how much I would try to claim in damages though?
I purchased the building for 80k. Funds spent over the years adds up to 40k.
The recent contract I had to sell the building was for 150k.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
6y
The first thing you should do is submit a claim to the title insurance underwriter, not the agent that sold you the policy. Assuming its a Florida Modified 2006 form ALTA policy the place to submit a claim should be found under Conditions 18 of the policy. There may also be an online claims submission web site, try searching the underwriter's name and "claims" to see if you can find it. I would also pull out a copy of your title policy and look at the legal description under Schedule A 4 and see how the property is described. If it says a part of the condominium described in the declaration of condominium for XYZ Condominium as recorded in Official Record Book 1234, Page 5678, Public Records of Miami-Dade County I think there's a good chance there will also be an exception for the Dec of Condo on Schedule B and the underwriter will deny coverage because they insured the property as part of the condo. If those two things are not there, it may be covered.
This sounds like it wasn't a run of the mill sale. Were you represented by an attorney at closing? If so I would immediately contact him/her.
If the release of the property was a condition of closing I would expect the settlement agent, who probably issued the policy, would have addressed the requirement so I would also contact them and ask how. Along those lines, look at the title commitment that you should have received in advance of the closing and see if there is a Schedule B-1 requirement for the release from the Dec. If its not there I suspect the policy will describe the property as above.
If it all goes south you're going to need a good real estate attorney to fix this. I don't know what you paid but the repair probably won't be cheap. If you need a referral I've retained an attorney in South Florida to fix many complex title related problems I'd be happy to refer you to. Good luck.
@Natalie Schanne@Alex H. It may not have been clear from her post....this is not a code enforcement officer/issue, it is a building and zoning land use issue. She had a very connected surveyor, surveyors are an integral part of subdividing parcels, sit down with the City to explore variances/solutions. The City said no way no how, and it was the City who contacted the County to rescind any county level subdividing of the lot....the subdivision of the lot, or a variance, appears to be out of the question.
Exactly as Wayne said. Thank you, Wayne, for explaining it so clearly. I am not as articulate as you.
I don't know why people are talking about suing the other guy's lawyer. The lawyer didn't make a representation to you, nor does he have a contract with you. The SELLER has the contract with you. The SELLER made the representation. Maybe the seller has a case against his own lawyer, but that's HIS problem. You don't worry your pretty little head over it. YOU sue the SELLER.
So now look for CONTRACT defenses by the seller. They are -- statute of limitations, -- bankruptcy, -- death, and it's too late to file a claim against his probate estate, -- Seller mental incapacity (and this one is a maybe).
Then there are the business reasons not to sue. The are -- guy has no money, -- hassle, -- cheaper to work with city and get problem straightened out.
In answer to the the original question, though, of who to sue first? There is only ONE person you can sue, the SELLER.
I agree with you about holding the seller solely responsible as my contract is with him AND the seller's attorney has been extremely honorable and absolutely lovely since this issue came to light. I have had weekly phone conversations with him and he has tried to resolve the issue but was unsuccessful. If I had been paying him legal fees, I would probably already be over 10k just for his time.
So now look for CONTRACT defenses by the seller. They are -- statute of limitations, -- bankruptcy, -- death, and it's too late to file a claim against his probate estate, -- Seller mental incapacity (and this one is a maybe).
I forgot to add that I did a background check on the seller and he looks like a very wealthy property developer who owns a lot of large buildings
Also forgot to add the statue of limitations may not have actually expired. If the contract was executed in good faith on your end and you just now discovered the problem the start date would potentially be the date of discovery. Now the problem with this is that the same faith is then given to the other party and you have to prove they knew this would happen. Which basically means you are down to one thing, that is their lawyer or the city records have documentation that the seller or a sellers agent went to the city and was turned down and therefore went to the county. If the seller is a big developer like you say, it is more likely they went stright to the county because they knew from experience that the city would hassle them over it. So they wouldn't really have any exposure at that point. Now since the price of the property is low you could sue the former owner and they would just settle rather than fight to make you whole. I.e. you sell the property for say 100 and they would pay you 50 to get it up to what the market price should have been had the city not meddled in this.
I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice it is just my thoughts on this.
You are smart Jay. @Wayne Brooks offered me the same idea, which I thought was highly creative. There's also some liens on the property now, so Wayne suggested letting it go for unpaid taxes to wipe out the liens. The only risk is if it sells for 10k or something. I also don't want to have a foreclosure on my record.
Also Nat if your looking for new digs in Charleston go check out my new construction at 144 and 146 Bull st.. cool houses be perfect for you :)
Quincy, MA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
6y
I wonder how the city's or the neighboring owners' stance would change if your property became an eye sore? You know - boarded up doors/ windows, graffiti, loads of needles lying on the ground, frequent 911 calls reporting overdose etc..
If those things were to happen, would they be willing to work with you to keep the community safe?
I wonder how the city's or the neighboring owners' stance would change if your property became an eye sore? You know - boarded up doors/ windows, graffiti, loads of needles lying on the ground, frequent 911 calls reporting overdose etc..
If those things were to happen, would they be willing to work with you to keep the community safe?
Alin, your thinking is unique and funny! What you are describing with properties falling into disrepair and blighting the community is not uncommon. What I have seen happen, in this case, is the City will issue violations to the owner until the dollar amount in liens is higher than the property value itself. Then they will foreclose on the property and demolish it.
Peter, if you get time, I think it would be highly valuable for the community if you post details of what you explained to me on the phone. There's now a number of people following this and @Justin Abdilla said he may do a legal studies video on it.
I wonder how the city's or the neighboring owners' stance would change if your property became an eye sore? You know - boarded up doors/ windows, graffiti, loads of needles lying on the ground, frequent 911 calls reporting overdose etc..
If those things were to happen, would they be willing to work with you to keep the community safe?
Alin, your thinking is unique and funny! What you are describing with properties falling into disrepair and blighting the community is not uncommon. What I have seen happen, in this case, is the City will issue violations to the owner until the dollar amount in liens is higher than the property value itself. Then they will foreclose on the property and demolish it.
True, but if your city is not letting you pull permits to do work at your property, how do they expect you to maintain safety of the property?
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
1) The statute of limitations has likely expired
2) It would cost you more to sue than you paid for the property
3) In my state and many others, there is case law that shows that even if the seller outright lies on the disclosures, due diligence is on the buyer and as such, the plaintiffs would have no legal case if they brought one.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
6y
Nat was good enough to provide me with the property address and with that I ran the chain of title.
In 2006 an LLC purchased property legally described as Lots 2 & 3 and the East 75' of 18, Block 40 of a given subdivision. 2 & 3 sit side by side and the part of 18 is adjacent to and South of the other two. Two buildings were on the property, a 32 unit apartment building on 2 & 3 and an out building on the part of 18.
In 2008 the LLC recorded a Prospectus for XYZ, A Condominium which includes a statement "THIS CONDOMINIUM WILL (emphasis added) BE CREATED AND THE UNITS SOLD AS FEE SIMPLE INTERESTS". The Prospectus also includes as Exhibits, a Declaration of Condominium, Purchase and Sale Agreement, Operating Budget, Escrow Agreement, Warranty Deed, Rules and Regulations and Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Sheet.
Florida Statute 718.104 governs the creation of condos and F.S 718.616 has additional requirements for the conversion of existing occupied improvements to a condominium. F.S 718.104(2) provides that a condominium is created by recording a declaration in the public records. I believe that a declaration has not been recorded, a Prospectus with Exhibits has.
In addition, F.S. 718.104(4)(e) provides that the Dec must contain a survey of the land and a graphic description of the improvements. If the construction is not substantially completed there shall be a statement to that effect, and, upon substantial completion of construction, the developer or association shall amend the dec to include the certification. The statute also provides "Completed units (emphasis added) within each substantially completed building in a condominium development may be conveyed to purchasers . . ."
The dec attached to the Prospectus includes a survey and a graphic depiction of improvements to be completed. I don't find an amendment recorded that includes a certification of completion and Nat told me there were no interior improvement in the building she purchased. As a side note, in my experience, one of the things a title examiner is supposed to look for when insuring title in a new condo is an as built survey that shows the improvements were completed without which title should not be insured unless with an exception.
Moving on, in 2010 the developer entered into an loan agreement with the City where the City would lend money to the developer in return for completion of the improvements and ten of the units being sold to low and very low first time homebuyers.
In 2012 the developer sold multiple units in the first building and the three units in the back building to XYZ Liquidation, LLC. In 2013 XYZ conveyed the three reputed units in the back building to Nat and simultaneously the XYZ Condo Association recorded an easement to Nat for ingress and egress over the Association roads. The deed and easement are signed by the same person and prepared by the same attorney.
In 2015 a Plan of Partial Termination for the three units in the back building was recorded. There's no sign the Plan was submitted to either the County or the City for comment or approval. Interestingly the Partial Termination is for the units, not the East 75' of Lot 18 where the building sits. Even if the Plan was effective, which I personally doubt, only the units were addressed, not the limited common elements, not the common elements and certainly not the dirt on which it all sits.
I believe there is a claim to be made to the title insurance underwriter because the title to the units appear to have been unmarketable at the time the deed was given to Nat for failure to comply with Florida Statutes for the creation of condo units. I would also suggest asking investors who own units in the main building if they are interested in buying the units since they already have an interest in the project. Based on the location and configuration of the Lots and surrounding properties I think its unlikely property could be acquired to address the County and City's concerns for the creation of a new tax parcel.
@Peter Walther How do these exclusions factor into the claim analysis:
Defects, liens, encumbrances, adverse claims, or other matters (a) created, suffered, assumed, or agreed to by the Insured Claimant; (b) not Known to the Company, not recorded in the Public Records at Date of Policy, but Known to the Insured Claimant and not disclosed in writing to the Company by the Insured Claimant prior to the date the Insured Claimant became an Insured under this policy;
Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 807 posts · 475 votes
6y
Now that this whole situation has been fleshed out by the amazing members on BiggerPockets, it's time to move forward with a plan of action.
It has been ascertained that the building cannot exist on its own legal parcel and obtaining a variance from the City will be a futile exercise. The City currently considers the building part of the Condominium. The County attorney informed me that they have not officially recorded the separation and he spent an hour on the phone trying to convince me the only sensible solution was for the building to remain part of the condominium.
The original purchase contract stated-
"Buyer shall have no obligation for Association fees, from and after closing"
So I would like to think I won't be levied with any fees or dues but I am not so confident about this because I am sure they will try to find a way to make me pay something.
If rejoining the condominium is to occur, I would like to either find a partner to take 50% equity in exchange for completing the remodel or I can sell it.
Any thoughts or advice on the above would be appreciated.
@Peter Walther How do these exclusions factor into the claim analysis:
Defects, liens, encumbrances, adverse claims, or other matters (a) created, suffered, assumed, or agreed to by the Insured Claimant; (b) not Known to the Company, not recorded in the Public Records at Date of Policy, but Known to the Insured Claimant and not disclosed in writing to the Company by the Insured Claimant prior to the date the Insured Claimant became an Insured under this policy;
I don't think either of the exclusions support a denial of liability Tom, but if a claim with theses facts had been submitted on an owner's policy your office had issued how do you think a denial would have been framed?
Now that this whole situation has been fleshed out by the amazing members on BiggerPockets, it's time to move forward with a plan of action.
It has been ascertained that the building cannot exist on its own legal parcel and obtaining a variance from the City will be a futile exercise. The City currently considers the building part of the Condominium. The County attorney informed me that they have not officially recorded the separation and he spent an hour on the phone trying to convince me the only sensible solution was for the building to remain part of the condominium.
The original purchase contract stated-
"Buyer shall have no obligation for Association fees, from and after closing"
So I would like to think I won't be levied with any fees or dues but I am not so confident about this because I am sure they will try to find a way to make me pay something.
If rejoining the condominium is to occur, I would like to either find a partner to take 50% equity in exchange for completing the remodel or I can sell it.
Any thoughts or advice on the above would be appreciated.
Of the two I would look for a buyer to take this off my hands.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
6y
If it were sold to one of the current investors they might purchase whatever title you have. As I pointed out in my analysis, I believe there may be a problem with the initial attempt to create the condo so finding a purchaser unrelated to the current investors would probably be difficult. That's also why I suggested submitting a claim to the title insurer.
If it were sold to one of the current investors they might purchase whatever title you have. As I pointed out in my analysis, I believe there may be a problem with the initial attempt to create the condo so finding a purchaser unrelated to the current investors would probably be difficult. That's also why I suggested submitting a claim to the title insurer.
Firstly, Peter, so many people dream of having your level of expertise and knowledge of title issues.
I contacted both the attorney's regarding the title issues you found, with a paragraph about the Declaration of Condominium matter. Firstly, I scolded my buyer's attorney, starting with- "The errors you made were an actionable level of negligence and you breached your legal duty of care as I will outline below. I have incurred great financial loss as a result of your errors; mistakes that no reasonably prudent attorney would make."
The Declaration of Condominium, as you know, was written and filed by KS. He has obviously been with this building for a long time, basically since the beginning. I wonder if he gets an attachment to buildings like I do. Probably not.
I already know what KS will say about this. He is going to brush it off and say the Dec was filed within the Prospectus documents, which is a legitimate method. I can't find any text in the Statute that says the Dec has to be a standalone document. And that is what this whole argument about trying to claim a title issue hinges on, right?
I believe that I have a stronger argument in claiming a defect in my title policy because of the fact the units conveyed to me were completely and utterly not completed units as outlined in the statute and of course, no written exception was ever provided in the title policy or purchase agreement.
However, as far as the whole building, including front and back having a title defect because the Dec was filed with the official records as part of the Prospectus and not as a singular document.... well, I don't know how far that argument will go, unless you can point me towards a SS that says otherwise.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
6y
Nat, I don't know of a statute or case that supports or refutes the position. I agree the Seller will probably claim that the recording of the Dec as an exhibit meets the technical requirement of the statute. He might be right or he may be wrong, but I've always believed it's better to raise a possible argument and let the adverse party refute it, unless of course I'm aware of a defense or if the argument is so specious as to be actionable. I also brought it to your attention more for a claim under the title policy then an action against the Seller.
@Peter Walther How do these exclusions factor into the claim analysis:
Defects, liens, encumbrances, adverse claims, or other matters (a) created, suffered, assumed, or agreed to by the Insured Claimant; (b) not Known to the Company, not recorded in the Public Records at Date of Policy, but Known to the Insured Claimant and not disclosed in writing to the Company by the Insured Claimant prior to the date the Insured Claimant became an Insured under this policy;
Tom, I believe on the date she took title Nat intended to obtain marketable title to three units in a condo and based on my research I believe she didn't receive that. I think her future plans for the property don't affect the coverage analysis for her loss under the policy so Exclusion 3(a) would not apply.
Everything I looked at to form my opinion came from public records so 3(b) wouldn't apply either. I'd be interested to hear if you have a different take on it.
@Peter Walther I think the loss was assumed by the buyer by including as a post-closing obligation what actually should have been a condition precedent. However if a title claim is filed, she may find the insurer defends this and covers legal expenses.
@Peter Walther I think the loss was assumed by the buyer by including as a post-closing obligation what actually should have been a condition precedent. However if a title claim is filed, she may find the insurer defends this and covers legal expenses.
If I'm correct, title was defective on the date she took title which has nothing to do with the Seller's post closing obligation.