Victimized by WireFraud on a Real Estate Sale - Need advise

Victimized by WireFraud on a Real Estate Sale - Need advise

Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP Community,

We sold our home and the portion of the funds (~ 400K) that had to be wired to our Mortgage Servicer was sent to a fraudulent account (Wire fraud) by the title company. While Title company is investigating and trying to trace the funds; the mortgage company is following up with us to make the monthly payments. 

If we make the monthly payments until the issue is resolved, is there a way to recoup the payments once the pay off amount is retrieved? 

Alternatively, if we choose not make the monthly payments, how do we proactively ensure our loan is not reported as delinquent since we do not own the home any more?

Any help from the community is appreciated.

Thanks

1Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
4y

Assuming the mortgage servicer eventually gets the misplaced principal payment, you will have overpaid the principal of the mortgage when you make the supplemental monthly payments, and the mortgage servicer should return that extra principal to you, without question, when they ultimately close the books.

The mortgage servicer will not return the interest portion of your payments, and in fact some additional interest may be due when this is settled, despite your ongoing payments, because the interest is collected in arrears.  

You need to make sure the title company and it's errors & omissions policy, covers your ongoing interest expense.  You may also ask for additional compensation, as not clearing the debt from your books as they were hired to do could be costing you income-producing activities.

All of that said, you need legal representation right away.  You have $400K missing due to a vendor's error.  Don't just wait for them to "investigate it," make sure they have a demand letter from your attorney requiring immediate settlement.  

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    4y

    Assuming the mortgage servicer eventually gets the misplaced principal payment, you will have overpaid the principal of the mortgage when you make the supplemental monthly payments, and the mortgage servicer should return that extra principal to you, without question, when they ultimately close the books.

    The mortgage servicer will not return the interest portion of your payments, and in fact some additional interest may be due when this is settled, despite your ongoing payments, because the interest is collected in arrears.  

    You need to make sure the title company and it's errors & omissions policy, covers your ongoing interest expense.  You may also ask for additional compensation, as not clearing the debt from your books as they were hired to do could be costing you income-producing activities.

    All of that said, you need legal representation right away.  You have $400K missing due to a vendor's error.  Don't just wait for them to "investigate it," make sure they have a demand letter from your attorney requiring immediate settlement.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    I would make the payments to make sure your credit does not get dinged  if your credit score is important to you.

    even though your right it would be a nightmare disputing all of that..  And i take it you have transferred title to the new buyer ???

    I know this happens but title companies have gotten a lot better at not doing this.. its normally buyers funds that get stolen on the way TO the title company not money leaving the title company.. big boo boo there
  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thanks Dan and Jay for the prompt feedback. The title had been transferred to the buyer however don’t think it’s clean since the primary lien on the house is still with my mortgage lender. The issue I’m facing now is that Title company is not forthcoming with regards to the status of their investigation. While originally they had stated they would settle it within a week or 10 days now they’ve delegated all their correspondence to an external counsel that they have hired. Instead of providing transparency on the status of the investigation they’re being cagey making me nervous if I should continue paying the mortgage. Alternatively I’m trying to work with the mortgage servicer to provide them with more documentation from my attorney so they can recommend that my account be flagged as a victim of this fraud thereby not ding my credit with the 3 agencies. The problem is if this continues I cannot be making payments with no end in sight. What is the type of lawyer I should be hiring? Thanks 

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    4y

    @Umesh Menon I don't suspect you'll be hearing much more from the title company.  Their investigation is closed and now they have to batten down the hatches.  The person who made the wire is in the process of being terminated.  The company has determined that they will not be able to reverse the wire (which was unlikely in any event, anyway).  They won't take your calls or give you any more information, which is why it's all referred to outside counsel.  They aren't going to touch again this until they are sued, and even then it's not internal people who will handle it.  It will be insurance and outside attorneys.  

    The buyer has a claim, which they can send to ALTA (I don't know what happens then), and you have a claim.  Look up real estate attorneys in your area.  Ask them who should be working for you on your behalf.  It could be different in different areas, so you'll need to start making the calls yourself.  So sorry this is happening.  I do feel it will be rectified, but it could take a while.  I'd continue to make the payments if you have the liquidity to do so.  What you pay can be included in the lawsuit, and it may be easier to get that back vs. freezing and rehabilitating your credit and having to try explain that every time you seek credit from now on.  Only you can determine that.  Good luck.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Umesh Menon:

    Thanks Dan and Jay for the prompt feedback. The title had been transferred to the buyer however don’t think it’s clean since the primary lien on the house is still with my mortgage lender. The issue I’m facing now is that Title company is not forthcoming with regards to the status of their investigation. While originally they had stated they would settle it within a week or 10 days now they’ve delegated all their correspondence to an external counsel that they have hired. Instead of providing transparency on the status of the investigation they’re being cagey making me nervous if I should continue paying the mortgage. Alternatively I’m trying to work with the mortgage servicer to provide them with more documentation from my attorney so they can recommend that my account be flagged as a victim of this fraud thereby not ding my credit with the 3 agencies. The problem is if this continues I cannot be making payments with no end in sight. What is the type of lawyer I should be hiring? Thanks 

     @Peter Walther    Peter what say you in this situation..  seems like the buyer of this also got title insurance and is going to get a title policy showing this mortgage that was not released and freak out.  so pressure from the buyer and the seller.

    OP I certainly hope you used a National name brand title insurer and or if you used a smaller closing attorney type shop that they wrote insurance for one of the big companies where this is easily handled monetarily at least.

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Jay,

    My real estate attorney who represented me during the closing is looking into finding out who the title insurer and the underwriter is. We have filed a complaint with the local police and have also filed another one with the Internet Crimes division since Title company has not furnished any evidence of the same ( they claimed they have done these as well). At this point am trying to collect all evidence to be shared with my mortgage servicer so they can make an exception and not mark my loan as delinquent thereby keeping my credit intact. Alternatively, I’m trying to find a litigation attorney who can assist me with next steps in regards to dealing with the title company. Please let me know if there is any other avenues that I should consider in parallel. 

    Thanks 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I would send an email to the state Atty generals consumer affairs office

    stating in the email you are CCing the title company, selling agent, listing agent and your mortgage company 

    I would do the same with every local radio and TV station as well as all of the big networks.  CNN, ABC etc etc
    also CC every local real estate Atty, real estate accountant and real estate companies and agents


    It will take take a couple hours to gather the email addresses but we’ll worth it in my opinion.

    I have done the Atty general alone and got results within days after waiting months 

    Admittedly not when there was $400,000 but it can’t hurt.  

    A local title company can’t afford to have their name out there as not protecting customers wires

    Real estate companies can’t do business with a title company who does something like this either 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    Title company/attorney should have insurance to cover this.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thanks for the tip @Michael Plante.  I had reached out to the FBI field office earlier and they directed me to the Attorney Generals consumer affairs office which I plan to call next week. I was originally thinking of posting it on Social Media however I like your idea better.

    @Russell Brazil, I was hoping the title company’s insurance to cover however the title company is trying to avoid that option, hence looking into alternatives.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Umesh Menon:

    Thanks for the tip @Michael Plante.  I had reached out to the FBI field office earlier and they directed me to the Attorney Generals consumer affairs office which I plan to call next week. I was originally thinking of posting it on Social Media however I like your idea better.

    @Russell Brazil, I was hoping the title company’s insurance to cover however the title company is trying to avoid that option, hence looking into alternatives.

    I know closings happen way different in the east coast areas. . who actually wired the money.. was it the attorney ( which I suspect it was) or did your funds go to the actual title company  ( which Russ can correct me but I don't think they actually handle the funds) and there for and I am just spit ballin but it might just be the closing attorney who actually handles the funds. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Umesh Menon:

    Thanks for the tip @Michael Plante.  I had reached out to the FBI field office earlier and they directed me to the Attorney Generals consumer affairs office which I plan to call next week. I was originally thinking of posting it on Social Media however I like your idea better.

    @Russell Brazil, I was hoping the title company’s insurance to cover however the title company is trying to avoid that option, hence looking into alternatives.

     For me it’s not the idea of getting help it’s the idea that the title comoany may solve the problem if they see you are contacting all of these places 

    My problem was solved within days by the offending company

    It was literally weeks later before the state Atty generals office replied and told me to fill out a form.  By then the problem had been solved for weeks 

    It is the SHOCK factor to the offending company which get the movement 

  • Toms River, NJ · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    More info on *how* the fraud happened would be helpful. If you provided the payoff info to Title - did you provide the incorrect info or were you hacked? Generally, if funds aren’t blocked by recipient bank within 24 hours, fraudster already moved the funds and they are gone.

    You imply the funds went through a Title company, I assume property isn’t in NNJ because that’s attorney land?

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    The payoff details with wiring instructions was provided to our attorney ( Sellers) who immediately flagged it as a possible fraud and alerted the title company of the same. Title company was asked to validate the wiring instructions prior to sending it to the mortgage lender which they acknowledged and accepted. However, we found out there was some disconnect between their closing department and accounting department whereby they never were able to confirm the details and ended up wiring the funds without getting proper validation.

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    The property is in NJ and the wiring instructions were manipulated through an email hack. Not sure if it was the attorneys account or our email account. Since attorney had flagged this as a potential fraud, it made us super nervous about getting our portion of the money through wire transfer. We ended up physically visiting the title company office to collect our portion of the certified check the same day. At that point, we reiterated that they validate the details with the mortgage company prior to transferring the remaining portion of the funds.however, we found out later on that there was disconnect between title company’s  closing Dept vs accounts Dept whereby they never validated the wiring details prior to transferring the funds.

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    4y

    Sorry it took me so long to weigh in.

    Once again I need to properly identify the title players in a closing.  You have the settlement agent who closes the transaction, the escrow agent who collects and disburses the funds and documents, the title agent who issues the title policy and the title insurer whose policy is issued.

    This sounds like an escrow problem not a title problem so if the settlement/escrow/title agent is not owned by the insurer the insurer will probably deny liability to the Seller for the misplaced funds.  The insurer will probably have liability to the Buyer and the Buyer's lender if there is one so the Seller needs to understand where the insurer's responsibility lies.

    I've seen many E&O insurers deny liability to it's insured (the settlement/escrow/title agent) unless the agent has purchased a separate rider to the E&O policy. The E&O carriers have suffered significate losses as a result of theses Business Email Compromise frauds (BEC) as the FBI calls them and so have changed the language of the policies to exclude the loss except for the rider. Keep in mind the E&O carrier is not going to just role over and pay the loss, they're going to do an extensive investigation and do everything in the power to assign the loss responsibility to anyone other than it's insured. I've seen it go on for longer than you might imagine.

    Identifying responsibility isn't easy. While the source of the fraudulent email may be relatively easy to identify, in this case if I understand the facts correctly it sounds like the Seller's attorney sent it to the settlement company, identifying the computer that was compromised (hacked) is difficult. I've seen E&O carriers spend more money on forensic examinations of computers then the loss so as not to assume liability and frequently the forensic report is vague as to what the examination found. Frequently the report will advise the exam found indicia of a compromise on one computer or another allowing the insurer to claim in a suit that their insured is not responsible.

    There is an attorney NJ I retained to assist in one claim I had there so he has experience in these types of frauds.  I'll be happy to make an introduction if needed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thanks for the detailed explanation @Peter Walther I suspect it’s going to go the route you have indicted. Can you please share the details of the NJ attorney who has experience dealing with such cases?

    thanks again for weighing in

    Umesh 

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    The seller (through its agent/attorney) provided a written payoff statement to the title company that they already suspected was fraudulent? That doesn’t make any sense. 

    Sounds like it could take a while to figure out who was truly at fault in this scenario.

    Title agents can (and should) purchase additional coverage for these types of losses but the liability for wiring the payoff to the wrong account may eventually fall on a different insurer or party here.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Umesh Menon:

    The payoff details with wiring instructions was provided to our attorney ( Sellers) who immediately flagged it as a possible fraud and alerted the title company of the same. Title company was asked to validate the wiring instructions prior to sending it to the mortgage lender which they acknowledged and accepted. However, we found out there was some disconnect between their closing department and accounting department whereby they never were able to confirm the details and ended up wiring the funds without getting proper validation.

    Based on what you wrote, if I was involved on behalf of the insurer, I'd probably be looking at your attorney for possible responsibility since it appears he, and by extension you, had reason to believe the wiring instructions you were providing were possibly fraudulent.  I'd be asking why your attorney and you didn't confirm the instructions with your lender before forwarding them to the escrow agent.  I'd probably be wondering if you were involved with the fraud.  I'm of course not speculating you were or suggesting you were, I'm just advising you of the type of thought processes that goes into analyzing loss responsibility when lots of money is missing. 

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Umesh Menon:

    Thanks for the detailed explanation @Peter Walther I suspect it’s going to go the route you have indicted. Can you please share the details of the NJ attorney who has experience dealing with such cases?

    thanks again for weighing in

    Umesh 
    Send me an IM and I'll provide it

  • Real Estate Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I see your point, can you pm me the contact for your attorney if possible 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.