What is your guys biggest real estate mistakes

What is your guys biggest real estate mistakes

Rental Property Investor · London, England · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 7 votes

I'm curious as to what your biggest mistakes and or real estate horror stories are.

We all know of the positive power of real estate and its potential to build real wealth but here I want to know of the worst experiences/mistakes you guys have made. So as people can learn.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

Spending way too long listening to limiting beliefs

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Spending way too long listening to limiting beliefs

  • Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
    4y

    Mine is a little surprising. Working with contractors, realtors, etc that were recommended to me by other investors/professionals. Or I should say, putting too much trust in their recommendations. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Not getting started several years ago. Did well with my primary purchase (late 2013), so I guess that makes up for it!

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Paying a contractor ahead of the advance schedule

    Not buying larger properties sooner

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    In general, 

    - Waiting too long to get started

    - Buying a primary home before investment homes

    - Not understanding the power of compounding young enough

    In specifics, you can listen to my podcast episode where I talk about losing a bundle of money (in my signature). 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Ben Jennings not buying more sooner. I passed on a lot of deals early on that I thought at the time were just okay but in retrospect would have turned out excellent. This is also the biggest mistake I see others make all the time: focusing too much on trying to time the market or getting distracted by analysis paralysis (which town, which property type, which strategy, etc.) rather than focusing on individual deals and actively taking them down. The people I see who are the most successful do a lot of transactions. If they end up with a stinker, they sell that one quickly but they’re still making a lot of money on other deals (definitely more than those who try to wait for the perfect deal to fall in their lap, and usually end up not buying anything at all or do one deal that isn’t perfect anyway and then quit). You’ve got to make deals happen. This means learning an area house by house, farming it, being active as an investor in that community so that deals come to you.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Paying contractors before they finish work 

  • Rental Property Investor · London, England · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Steve K.

    Thank you for your response.

    It seems the general consensus is that fear and analysis paralysis are the greatest barriers to success in real estate.

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 457 votes
    4y

    Nice to hear similar stories.  Not ashamed of any of my personal losses or incorrect investment decisions.  I received massive education from taking action.  I'd add or reconfirm same comments...

    1. Working with an agent that doesn't invest themselves.  Advised me to get into new construction speculation in Las Vegas right before the recession.

    2. Selling too soon due to being undercapitalized to stabilize a 6-unit property in Seattle (around 2012), panic caused me to lose out on $1M+ in equity growth.

    3. Getting greedy, wanting to scale too quickly and not sticking to fundamentals.

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Selling to cheaply… 

    Not keeping more rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    #1 would be selling. Sold my first house that had been rented out, stable, and in a high appreciation area. Probably missed out on a couple hundred thousand in equity and another 65k in cashflow (as of two years). Those numbers will only grow over time.

    #2 using an agent to find a tenant. Turned out to be a disaster. They care about the commission, not the property. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Altoona, PA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 63 votes
    4y

    @Ben Jennings

    Not buying enough ReAl estate 🤙🏻🥇

  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 64 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ben Jennings:

    I'm curious as to what your biggest mistakes and or real estate horror stories are.

    We all know of the positive power of real estate and its potential to build real wealth but here I want to know of the worst experiences/mistakes you guys have made. So as people can learn.

    having limiting beliefs  and having shiny object syndrome. 

    I believe focusing on a niche is important. Everything can be a deal, but you can be 100% at everything :)
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    Biggest mistake is not buying enough real estate or at least partnering to make that happen.  I make this mistake everyday that I don't buy something.  

    2nd Biggest mistake was buying a really old building (1910).  I underestimated the amount of repairs it needs.

    3rd Biggest mistake is to solely rely on ONE agent for leasing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ben Jennings:

    I'm curious as to what your biggest mistakes and or real estate horror stories are.

    We all know of the positive power of real estate and its potential to build real wealth but here I want to know of the worst experiences/mistakes you guys have made. So as people can learn.

    1) Not writing out a contract for our contractors but just going off of a their word. 

     2) I cold called on a few deals and they said to give them some time to think about it so I waited a week. They said they went into contract with someone else who called them everyday. Ever since then I have been very persistent. 

    3) Not creating my team faster but rather trying to do things on my own. Now that I have more systems in place and a team, I cannot believe I did not do this sooner. 

  • Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 250 posts · 133 votes
    4y

    Not buying more CRE

  • Niyi AdewoleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Atlanta GA & Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 101 votes
    4y

    Not thoroughly vetting my first property management company. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Robbinsville, NJ · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 99 votes
    4y

    Everyone has more or less echoed each others comments. The biggest mistake for me is being too selective and not buying more. You can easily get inside your own head and second guess yourself. The other mistake is not having the energy or willingness to deal with the problems. I got burnt out. I should have got a property manager to offset the work so I could scale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.