Has anyone invested in a Electric charging station?

Has anyone invested in a Electric charging station?

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Seems like a great way to cash flow on commercial land. Would love to connect with anyone that has. 

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Ronald RohdePro Member
Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Eliott Elias:
Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

What type of property are you considering?


 I have Raw land in an area that doesn't have any charging stations in it. No ameneties yet, but considering developing something to keep the customers entertained. 


 I replied to your PM, but didn't see this yet. Raw land with no other attractions doesn't seem worth it IMO. Its an accessory thats barely breakeven...

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

    What type of property are you considering?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

    What type of property are you considering?


     I have Raw land in an area that doesn't have any charging stations in it. No ameneties yet, but considering developing something to keep the customers entertained. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

    What type of property are you considering?


     I have Raw land in an area that doesn't have any charging stations in it. No ameneties yet, but considering developing something to keep the customers entertained. 


     I replied to your PM, but didn't see this yet. Raw land with no other attractions doesn't seem worth it IMO. Its an accessory thats barely breakeven...

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

    What type of property are you considering?


     Ronald,

    I have two restaurants on a hard corner.  I always thought it would be a good idea for people to charge while they are eating.  The wawa across the street has them but there is nothing on our side of the streeet.  What do you think?

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Eliott Elias

    Check zoning as it may not be allowed. We looked to do this and solar panels on a commercial site and they are an allowed accessory use- not a primary use therefore we could not do it without building a building on the land as a primary use.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @John M.:
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    I've done lots of research on these for my properties. There some use cases for retail sites that need tenant amenities. Otherwise, unless you're including it in new construction, its not a good ROI purely on elec fees.

    What type of property are you considering?


     Ronald,

    I have two restaurants on a hard corner.  I always thought it would be a good idea for people to charge while they are eating.  The wawa across the street has them but there is nothing on our side of the streeet.  What do you think?


     What type of charger? Have you observed them being used? Are they ever full? I'd check online the EA or chargepoint websites, what does coverage look like in your town? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    Granted I'm not an expert, I would re-iterate what @Ronald Rohde said.


    We were putting them in as part of new 200-300 unit MF and BTR Town-home developments in the SE, maybe 6-12 stations per development. Based on estimated revenue data from Chargepoint and Envirospark, the fee revenue is unremarkable.

    Case and point: If these companies lease the stations, they keep all the revenue (or at least 90%). They said they don't make the initial installation and station cost back until years 12-15 (which is why they have a long lease period).

  • Chicago (North West Indiana) · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    I agree with @Tyler R. I don't see many property owners trying to install these for a revenue stream. The infrastructure to install is decently expensive. Especially the L3 chargers. If you are trying to add it as an amenity, then there are plenty of companies out there that will work with you to install them on their dime, but it has to make sense with their business model. For example, Volta is an electric charging company that has advertisements on the LED screens on the chargers. They make revenue on the advertisement, so they want these located in highly trafficked areas. You may also approach your local utility that may have some partnerships with EV charging companies.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.