Looking to connect with other active retail center investors!

Looking to connect with other active retail center investors!

Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes

Hello, I am retail center investor based out of South Carolina, looking to connect with more individuals who have a deep affinity for the asset class. Please let me know what areas you like to invest and your ideal requirements. There could be some mutual synergies! 

5Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
2y

I'm a retail investor that has an addiction problem to the asset class.  However I eventually pivoted to offer some diversification to my portfolio which now includes flex space and mortgage notes.  Flex space operates similar to a retail strip, but has a lot more tenant types to choose from.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Jace, glad to see you on here from SARE.

    There are a few retail people here, but not many.

    What are you goals for your portfolio in 2024?

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Jace Perry welcome!  I am not necessarily a retail investor, but I work heavily in the retail category.  We mostly do tenant rep, and focus our searches around grocery anchored centered with market demographics that meet out requirements. 

    We actually have a couple projects we are working on in SC right now for some retail medical operators.   

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y

    Awesome! Let me know if you ever have tenants looking to enter the Greenville SC market. I know it well. 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    Hey Jace, glad to see you on here from SARE.

    There are a few retail people here, but not many.

    What are you goals for your portfolio in 2024?


    Purchase existing cashflow retail centers that need light cap ex and rental increases. Secondly, purchase RV parks and convert them to mid and longterm renters while drastically trimming any resort type op ex costs. Lastly, launching a CRE brokerage type platform that charges no fees to sell a property.

    You?

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jace Perry:
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

    Hey Jace, glad to see you on here from SARE.

    There are a few retail people here, but not many.

    What are you goals for your portfolio in 2024?


    Purchase existing cashflow retail centers that need light cap ex and rental increases. Secondly, purchase RV parks and convert them to mid and longterm renters while drastically trimming any resort type op ex costs. Lastly, launching a CRE brokerage type platform that charges no fees to sell a property.

    You?


     Thats a good plan, retail vacancy is super low!

    Just growing the law firm, adding some more attorneys. Buying more industrial NNN and growing my YouTube on CRE

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y

    Right on brother. What type of law do you specialize in?

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jace Perry:

    Right on brother. What type of law do you specialize in?


    Commercial real estate transactions and NNN leasing. I buy and sell for my clients and then buy and sell my own industrial NNN deals...

  • Rental Property Investor · Oak Creek, WI · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    I am a retail guy. Located in Wisconsin so midwest markets preferred.

    Syndication, Value add, sub $10M. 

    Currently have 4 properties in deep underwriting with a couple LOI's out.

    Looking for capital partners!

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dustin Young:

    I am a retail guy. Located in Wisconsin so midwest markets preferred.

    Syndication, Value add, sub $10M. 

    Currently have 4 properties in deep underwriting with a couple LOI's out.

    Looking for capital partners!


     What vacancy are you buying at? If high, what are lease turns looking like? I don't like to buy more than a year left on below market rents...

  • Rental Property Investor · Oak Creek, WI · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    I thought it would depend on bank appetite but I've heard back that vacancy isn't an issue so long as the property is self sustaining as is.

    I think there's a fine line between filling an open spot and resurrecting a dying center though. Somewhere around 70% occupancy is the number in my head. I have no data to support that officially. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Dustin Young, it has been a while since I worked actively in retail, but still have many connections in the space.  When I was working in the space, the company I worked for acquired value-add grocery anchor shopping centers.  They considered anything about 85% and up to be value-add and anything below that to be more "redevelopment" since it often involved dark or vacant tenants, and re-leasing a center with no anchor can be very challenging.

    Of course, I am talking grocery anchored product, so of the 100k+ GLA, 50+ would be anchor.  So sitting 85% occupied could really mean about 1/3 of your small shop space is empty.

    @Jace Perry, while I would not say I have a deep affinity for the space, I have some passive investments as an LP in unanchored strip fund and have just started clicking around on listings for smaller neighborhood centers 20-30k sq ft in tertiary markets along the main retail corridor for those markets.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    I am a residential agent however, my daughter is the RE Dev Mgr for a large C-store company here. She looks at a lot of properties and many of them don't work for her employer. Also we both just 'bump into' things while searching.

    Also, she is in the Masters of RE DEV program at Clemson. So that's a lot of exposure as well. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mona Lisa Harrison:

    I am a residential agent however, my daughter is the RE Dev Mgr for a large C-store company here. She looks at a lot of properties and many of them don't work for her employer. Also we both just 'bump into' things while searching.

    Also, she is in the Masters of RE DEV program at Clemson. So that's a lot of exposure as well. 


     Do you push that deal flow out to investors? What are they buying? (or not buying)

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    2y

    I'm a retail investor that has an addiction problem to the asset class.  However I eventually pivoted to offer some diversification to my portfolio which now includes flex space and mortgage notes.  Flex space operates similar to a retail strip, but has a lot more tenant types to choose from.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y

    Nice to meet you John. My goal this year is to diversify into affordable housing by purchasing RV parks that support mid to long-term tenants. The older I get, the more I only want to own and rent out dirt. Retail centers will always be my priority. 

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi @Jace Perry

    We are a retail investment company. The value we add are the tenants we put in place. 

    We do business throughout NY / NJ / CT. 

    Would love connecting. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oak Creek, WI · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    @Matthew Carlson Amy interest in branching out to the Midwest?

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Dustin Young 

    Most likely not but I wouldn't say a hard no. 

    Depending on returns, we might have interest. 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John M.:

    I'm a retail investor that has an addiction problem to the asset class.  However I eventually pivoted to offer some diversification to my portfolio which now includes flex space and mortgage notes.  Flex space operates similar to a retail strip, but has a lot more tenant types to choose from.


    I am working on an off-market retail center in VA right now that is over 100,000sf with over 300% return on cash return potential. What is your appetite at the moment for investing?

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    We are expanding aggressively but do have capital constraints on the amount of projects we have going on. We are picky with the retail locations we want. Feel free to dm me the address so I can take a look. Thanks! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.