1ac Neighborhood Services Mixed Use in Garland TX Analysis

1ac Neighborhood Services Mixed Use in Garland TX Analysis

Real Estate Broker · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 10 votes

I have a lead for a property in Garland TX. 

It is a 1 acre property with a 3be-2ba, 1800sf, a shop, and a barn. It is zoned Neighborhood Services (Mixed Use), which means it has other commercial uses. 

As a residential property, it would go for less than $200k, but since it's zoned for commercial uses, the seller is asking $600k.

I'm looking up comparable properties on Loopnet and Craigslist to compare what similar land is going for in Garland. For vacant land, I'm coming up with $220k per acre asking price. Retail use or office buildings are $1M+, but I'm not a developer at all.

In my mind, considering a property is already present (and might involve demo to upgrade the overall property), what's the best way to analyze this property. Any developers (but especially the Dallas, TX or Garland area), what's the best way to analyze this property?

Thanks! I look forward to the discussion

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    You need to look at growth around it.

    600k an acre is high for a developer to pay. There should be a ton of growth around it where you know national tenants will pay a premium per sq ft to make it pencil with development land,construction,legal,labor, and loan costs.

    Sometimes I will look at that range for an acre but it is the (money shot) right in front of a new Costco at the hard pin corner red light with high traffic counts.

  • Real Estate Broker · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Joel Owens thanks for the feedback. It’s surrounded by fully developed residential area (SFH/Condos) and only down the street from main entry/exit to a major freeway. Undeveloped land seems to go for $250k but it goes up in price/acre as it gets closer to the highway. $600k seems high, but I’ll be reaching out to commercial brokers tomorrow.
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Whats the address? Email me if you like, I have some experience there...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.