The Three Most Common Mistakes Passive Real Estate Investors Make

The Three Most Common Mistakes Passive Real Estate Investors Make

Multifamily investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 281 posts · 521 votes

Mistake No. 1: Investing Emotionally

Instead of making a multifamily real estate investment based on balance sheets and merit, some investors make what I call an “emotional investment” in a property. Some investors see a property and become emotionally attached to it because it’s a beautiful new building, or because it’s located in a trendy neighborhood and they want to be a part of it.

This is a situation where emotion takes over and common sense goes by the wayside, which is a huge mistake. The problem is that emotion clouds judgment and, often, people ignore the signs that they may be overpaying for the property simply because they like it. Unfortunately, an emotional investment often ends up costing the investor money.

When you buy a property, focus on what the numbers are telling you: how much upside the deal has, how much will it cost to manage it and the rent growth in the submarket. Avoid focusing too much on how pretty the building is or how “trendy” it is to buy in a certain market.

Mistake No. 2: Counting On Appreciation

When investing in a multifamily property, investors earn profits from two main sources. The first is income or cash flow (rents and other income the property generates, such as fees on reserved parking, etc.); the second is appreciation (the profit you make when the property sells). When evaluating a multifamily investment, it’s important to look at the cash flow because that’s where the income will come from prior to selling the property.

Some investments have little cash flow but have the potential for strong appreciation. This is generally in core markets like San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles, where properties have a 1% to 3% capitalization (cap) rate and negative or zero cash flow. On the other side of the equation are properties in the Midwest, where there's high cash flow but minimal property appreciation. (Cap rate is the ratio between the net operating income, or NOI, and the purchase price. The lower the cap rate, the more you'll pay for the property, which is why sellers try to sell their properties at the lowest possible cap rate).

The mistake that some investors make is to count on very high appreciation where they hope to make a “killing” on the property when it sells. However, that’s a risky proposition because you really never know when or if there will be an option for appreciation when it’s time to sell. For example, if there’s a recession, there could be zero appreciation.

There are ways to increase the cash flow from multifamily properties. One way is by upgrading or renovating the property and then increasing rents. Another way to increase cash flow is to reduce operational expenses. Whichever option is used, it’s beneficial to investors to have additional income.

The key for investors is to have a well-balanced market that generates both appreciation and operational income. That way if one of the potential income streams is weak or changes, you can have income from the remaining one. For that reason, I like to buy properties in markets that provide both positive cash flow of at least 7% and appreciation, such as Atlanta; Jacksonville, Florida; and Dallas.

Mistake No. 3: Focusing On The Wrong Market

Many investors choose a market simply because they’re familiar with it. For instance, they buy properties where they live because they know the city and the surrounding area. However, counting on familiarity when it comes to buying properties can cost you money.

There’s another problem if the property is located in a smaller market. Smaller markets may have higher cash flow due to lower purchase prices and higher cap rates, but those properties won’t be able to sustain prices if there’s a recession. Solid markets like Orlando, Florida, or Atlanta would be able to sustain prices. (That’s why I choose to invest there.)

Markets with a CoC of 7% to 8% are preferable to smaller markets that now offer investors 10% CoC. (CoC is the cash-on-cash return used to evaluate the performance of a real estate investment. It takes the property's annual net cash flow and divides it by the investment's down payment.)

While I live in Southern California, I only purchase properties in Texas, Florida and Georgia, and I'm constantly flying out to those areas to find and evaluate deals. That's where I find properties with a CoC of 7% to 8%. Research each market to ensure there are new jobs coming into the market and that vacancy rates are dropping. Those are benchmarks for a good market to invest in. Once you acquire a property, hire a local property manager to manage the asset.

1Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
6y

This was great information. Thanks for sharing.  I can see myself in at least two of those mistakes (buying off of emotion and familiarity with the location).  I have learned to rely on the numbers they don't lie and understand the other factors in the community (jobs, new construction and politics). I'll be sure to reach out if I find any properties in your buying areas to get your advice.  

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    This was great information. Thanks for sharing.  I can see myself in at least two of those mistakes (buying off of emotion and familiarity with the location).  I have learned to rely on the numbers they don't lie and understand the other factors in the community (jobs, new construction and politics). I'll be sure to reach out if I find any properties in your buying areas to get your advice.  

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 90 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Ellie Perlman

    My 2cent on #2 (Appreciation) is only count on it when you are performing value add. The ARV would be the key factor of extracting your CAPEX thru refi to boost your CoC or ROE.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 834 posts · 449 votes
    6y

    I would add "not looking a the Real Rate of Return" on their investments. Normally they look at nominal only.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
    6y

    @Ellie Perlman nice post! #4 :)

    I got to say that the actual property manager/asset manager makes the deal a deal or not. The other things can save you if things don't go well, but a property manager can destroy the investment - especially when it is supposed to be passive...

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    6y

    Great information @Ellie Perlman. Thank you for sharing. I can say that my first investment I invested emotionally (#1). While it was still a good deal, I probably could have made better returns elsewhere. I'm from LA county as well and started looking at other places, specifically Florida. 

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Its better to have a mediocre properly expertly managed than a great properly poorly managed. Be sure to have good termination clauses, lots of disputes now with sellers keeping Earnest Money.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    OK, I'll play devil's advocate:

    Mistake No. 1: Investing Emotionally

    At the end of the day, you can have all the numbers in the world, but you need to decide what's important and that's more a gut thing than a brain thing sometimes.  Your gut is formed by your own experience.  You can't discount emotions, I deal with buyers and sellers all the time, the cold logical ones hate taking a risk. Its real estate and you always take a risk, which is why returns are better than T-bills.  I'd say don't let emotions pre-dominate your decision process.

    Mistake No. 2: Counting On Appreciation

    I understand that appreciation is a forward-looking thing and not certain. However, a lot of the real gain in investment properties is based on appreciation. Again, it's not an either-or thing and definitely NO ONE can guarantee what your property will be worth in 7 years, but CapGains are part of the IRR calculation and you have to make some assumptions.

    Mistake No. 3: Focusing On The Wrong Market

    OK, if someone comes to me and says I'd like to invest in Beaverton since I know it and have made money there, I'm not going to tell them there's this suburb of Las Vegas I heard some other broker talk about you should go to.  Places like PHX and LV have such variation in pricing, it's hard to sort out good from bad.  When you say things like "Many investors choose a market simply because they’re familiar with it." I'd take issue.  Knowledge of a place never hurts.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steve Morris:

    OK, I'll play devil's advocate:

    Mistake No. 1: Investing Emotionally

    At the end of the day, you can have all the numbers in the world, but you need to decide what's important and that's more a gut thing than a brain thing sometimes.  Your gut is formed by your own experience.  You can't discount emotions, I deal with buyers and sellers all the time, the cold logical ones hate taking a risk. Its real estate and you always take a risk, which is why returns are better than T-bills.  I'd say don't let emotions pre-dominate your decision process.

    Mistake No. 2: Counting On Appreciation

    I understand that appreciation is a forward-looking thing and not certain. However, a lot of the real gain in investment properties is based on appreciation. Again, it's not an either-or thing and definitely NO ONE can guarantee what your property will be worth in 7 years, but CapGains are part of the IRR calculation and you have to make some assumptions.

    Mistake No. 3: Focusing On The Wrong Market

    OK, if someone comes to me and says I'd like to invest in Beaverton since I know it and have made money there, I'm not going to tell them there's this suburb of Las Vegas I heard some other broker talk about you should go to.  Places like PHX and LV have such variation in pricing, it's hard to sort out good from bad.  When you say things like "Many investors choose a market simply because they’re familiar with it." I'd take issue.  Knowledge of a place never hurts.

    Agree the real money is made in appreciation ergo the 1031 Exchange.. if nothing appreciated there would be no exchanges.. and who would go in for all the pain with no hope of a very nice rise in values over a 10 year hold.. In my mind to buy a property that has very limited positive cash flow and very little to no hope of going up in value.. is not the best use of your time or resources.. Unless your buying low end deals for cash and have TRUE cash flow with no debt risk.. But folks wont know it till they experience it.. to 'Get IRR thats meaningful its exactly as you state you need both appreciation and cash flow.. But in many markets break even or little negative with great appreciation is still far better than non appreciating markets and small cash flow over time.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Wow, we kinda agree.

    You're in LV, seems like there's neighborhoods that are black holes?  I know nothing of LV, but I'll get guys showing me and I'll tell them to find an apt guy that knows the market.

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Not to beat a dead horse, but if your goal is to make a couple of hundred bucks a month "tax free" buy municipal bonds. No leaky roofs, dead-beat tenants, failing HVAC systems, nasty neighbors, SJW eviction judges, lead paint laws, HOA enforcement busy-bodies . . . . I could go on and on.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.