Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 403 posts · 162 votes
3w
Quote from @Roberto Lopez:
I’m looking for advice on the cleanest way out of my house.
VA loan balance: ~$886k
Mortgage payment: $5,944/month
My take-home income: ~$5,400/month
Rental income from people living in the house: ~$3,600/month
Total monthly cash coming in: ~$9,000
If I rented the entire house, I’d still be about $2,000/month negative
If I sell now, I estimate I may be ~$50k short
Wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have a one-year-old
We hit 2 years in the home on May 5, 2027
We can technically survive with the current rental income, but I don’t want to keep carrying this much risk as the sole provider.
I’m considering:
Holding until spring 2027
Normal sale
VA short sale
Loan modification
Deed-in-lieu
Bankruptcy only if things get much worse
I'm calling the VA to ask about loss-mitigation options and how a short sale would affect future VA entitlement.
What would you do in my shoes? Has anyone here gone through a VA short sale or deed-in-lieu?
@Roberto Lopez, from working with property owners in difficult real estate situations, I would not make the decision based only on whether you can keep surviving the payment for a few more months. I would first get the exact numbers for each exit. I would ask the lender what a short sale, deed-in-lieu, and loan modification would actually require, whether any remaining balance would be waived, and what documents they would want from you. I would also get a realistic seller net sheet from an experienced local agent so you know whether the $50k shortage is really $50k after commissions, closing costs, repairs, and other expenses.
I would also be careful about holding just because you reach two years in May. I have seen people stay in a stressful property because they are waiting for one future date or hoping the market will fix the problem, but the monthly risk keeps growing in the meantime. I would want the VA, your lender, a California real estate attorney, and a CPA to explain what each option means for your future VA entitlement, credit, taxes, and any remaining debt before you sign anything. Once you have those answers, you can compare the cost of leaving now against the cost and risk of waiting. You are asking the right questions before things get worse.
Sorry this is happening. Unless you have reason to believe that improving the property or holding briefly because it is increasing in equity will correct the situation I would rip the band aid off and sell. Consider sunk cost fallacy and consult a reputable realtor to assist with the actual timing.
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 403 posts · 162 votes
3w
Quote from @Roberto Lopez:
I’m looking for advice on the cleanest way out of my house.
VA loan balance: ~$886k
Mortgage payment: $5,944/month
My take-home income: ~$5,400/month
Rental income from people living in the house: ~$3,600/month
Total monthly cash coming in: ~$9,000
If I rented the entire house, I’d still be about $2,000/month negative
If I sell now, I estimate I may be ~$50k short
Wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have a one-year-old
We hit 2 years in the home on May 5, 2027
We can technically survive with the current rental income, but I don’t want to keep carrying this much risk as the sole provider.
I’m considering:
Holding until spring 2027
Normal sale
VA short sale
Loan modification
Deed-in-lieu
Bankruptcy only if things get much worse
I'm calling the VA to ask about loss-mitigation options and how a short sale would affect future VA entitlement.
What would you do in my shoes? Has anyone here gone through a VA short sale or deed-in-lieu?
@Roberto Lopez, from working with property owners in difficult real estate situations, I would not make the decision based only on whether you can keep surviving the payment for a few more months. I would first get the exact numbers for each exit. I would ask the lender what a short sale, deed-in-lieu, and loan modification would actually require, whether any remaining balance would be waived, and what documents they would want from you. I would also get a realistic seller net sheet from an experienced local agent so you know whether the $50k shortage is really $50k after commissions, closing costs, repairs, and other expenses.
I would also be careful about holding just because you reach two years in May. I have seen people stay in a stressful property because they are waiting for one future date or hoping the market will fix the problem, but the monthly risk keeps growing in the meantime. I would want the VA, your lender, a California real estate attorney, and a CPA to explain what each option means for your future VA entitlement, credit, taxes, and any remaining debt before you sign anything. Once you have those answers, you can compare the cost of leaving now against the cost and risk of waiting. You are asking the right questions before things get worse.
Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3w
Quote from @Roberto Lopez:
I’m looking for advice on the cleanest way out of my house.
VA loan balance: ~$886k
Mortgage payment: $5,944/month
My take-home income: ~$5,400/month
Rental income from people living in the house: ~$3,600/month
Total monthly cash coming in: ~$9,000
If I rented the entire house, I’d still be about $2,000/month negative
If I sell now, I estimate I may be ~$50k short
Wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have a one-year-old
We hit 2 years in the home on May 5, 2027
We can technically survive with the current rental income, but I don’t want to keep carrying this much risk as the sole provider.
I’m considering:
Holding until spring 2027
Normal sale
VA short sale
Loan modification
Deed-in-lieu
Bankruptcy only if things get much worse
I'm calling the VA to ask about loss-mitigation options and how a short sale would affect future VA entitlement.
What would you do in my shoes? Has anyone here gone through a VA short sale or deed-in-lieu?
I used to do foreclosure bailouts. You don't state that the process has begun, but you are on the front end of the type of scenarios I used to work with. There are two kinds of bankruptcy. You don't do a bankruptcy chapt 13 to save a house you don't want. You do a bankruptcy chapt 7 to start over, A loan modification only prolongs the pain.
I didn't see where you stated the most important part, what is the house worth?
VA has a program where you can sell it on assumption. You can also sell without a real estate agent on Subject To or a Wrap.
How much do you still owe (probably all of it if you only had the loan for two years)
What is the house realistically worth?
What are comps selling for?
What interest rate is the loan at?
I would need those to run some numbers to tell you what your realistic options are.
Lender · National Lender · Member since 2026 · 10 posts · 3 votes
3w
Hey Robert – before going down the short sale, deed-in-lieu or bankruptcy route, I'd slow this down and look at the VA/mortgage implications of each option. Those are very different outcomes, especially when it comes to your future VA eligibility and entitlement.
One thing I’d want to know first is how you arrived at the $50k loss estimate. If that’s based on Realtor commissions and normal selling costs rather than actually being $50k underwater, a normal sale may still be worth exploring before considering a short sale.
I’d also get an exact payoff and a realistic net sheet from an agent so you know the true number required to exit the property.
On the VA side, a short sale doesn't necessarily mean you permanently lose the ability to use a VA loan again, but if VA ultimately takes a loss, that can affect how much entitlement is available until the loss is resolved/restored. There can also be seasoning and credit implications depending on what happens and the lender you use later.
Since you’re still making the payment and have roughly $9k/month coming in, I personally wouldn’t intentionally become delinquent just to pursue loss mitigation without first understanding all of the consequences.
I'd probably work the options in this order: get the actual payoff/net-sale numbers → determine whether a normal sale is realistically possible → talk with the servicer/VA about available loss-mitigation options → only then evaluate short sale/deed-in-lieu if the numbers truly don't work.
You're doing the right thing by calling the VA now rather than waiting until you're in trouble.
I’m looking for advice on the cleanest way out of my house.
VA loan balance: ~$886k
Mortgage payment: $5,944/month
My take-home income: ~$5,400/month
Rental income from people living in the house: ~$3,600/month
Total monthly cash coming in: ~$9,000
If I rented the entire house, I’d still be about $2,000/month negative
If I sell now, I estimate I may be ~$50k short
Wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have a one-year-old
We hit 2 years in the home on May 5, 2027
We can technically survive with the current rental income, but I don’t want to keep carrying this much risk as the sole provider.
I’m considering:
Holding until spring 2027
Normal sale
VA short sale
Loan modification
Deed-in-lieu
Bankruptcy only if things get much worse
I'm calling the VA to ask about loss-mitigation options and how a short sale would affect future VA entitlement.
What would you do in my shoes? Has anyone here gone through a VA short sale or deed-in-lieu?
I've been a real estate broker specializing in short sales in CT and FL for almost 20 years, which includes a ton of VA and actually VA short sales are the currently the bulk of my inventory. VA has big issues right now. You actually don't get to pick an option - they like to do it in their order. Ideally they want you to modify the loan or a do a partial claim, but in today's rate environment I highly doubt you would end up in a better position. If you don't want a loan mod or don't qualify for one, they will start moving you through liquidation options - their first choice is a short sale.
In order to qualify for a short sale you need to show a financial hardship, and while VA does not technically require a default to be eligible for a short sale, I see them routinely turn down current borrowers. Nonetheless, they will not even consider you for this until there is a buyer in place. THEN, and ONLY THEN will they review you for a short sale.
Their next option is a deed in lieu, but again they probably wont give you one until you fail to short sell.
After that its foreclosure. Don't know what state you're in but the 2 I cover foreclosure usually takes a year or two maybe more.
No matter what loss mitigation route you pursue, the end recourse is that VA will reduce your future entitlement by the amount of the loss. So if you want to get another VA loan, you will qualify for whatever amount less the amount they lost in your short sale, DIL, foreclosure, whatever, unless you choose to pay it back. Count on not getting another loan for a few years after a short sale, but that's probably the worst of it. Most of my clients recover quickly credit wise.
If you even qualify for a bankruptcy, just keep in mind that while they may discharge the note, you will still own the house and have to short sell, or DIL to avoid foreclosure anyway. BK is generally not a house solution - it is a debt solution.
If you intend to keep the home, you should explore a loan mod with the lender. If you want out, your next step would be to find a local Realtor with experience in short sales to get the home listed and start moving through liquidation options.
Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful. I’m still current on the mortgage and I’m not planning to intentionally miss payments. I’m reaching out to the VA and mortgage servicer to understand the loss-mitigation options, and I’m also getting a realistic market value and seller net sheet so I can see what the actual shortfall would be.
I’m also going to ask about a VA loan assumption since a few people mentioned it. Once I have the exact payoff, realistic home value, and selling costs, I’ll update the post with the numbers.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3w
Roberto, with the numbers you laid out, I’d focus first on reducing the downside rather than trying to force an investment outcome out of the house.
You’re already bringing in about $3,600 from other occupants and that gets the monthly gap much closer, but you’re still carrying a very large loan on one income. If the property needs repairs, someone moves out, or the payment changes, that cushion disappears quickly.
I'd get the VA servicer involved now and ask specifically about every loss-mitigation path available to you: modification, short sale, deed-in-lieu, and what each one would mean for the remaining loan balance and your future VA entitlement. I'd want those answers in writing before choosing a path.
From the tax side, there are a couple things I would not overlook. If this has been your personal residence, a loss on the sale of a personal-use home is generally not deductible. And if a short sale, deed-in-lieu, or modification results in any debt being forgiven, that can create a separate tax-reporting issue depending on how the debt is treated and your facts at the time.
Since you also have people paying to live in the house while you’re still occupying it, I’d keep very clean records of the income and any expenses tied to the rented portions. That mixed-use setup can affect how the property is reported while you own it.
I wouldn’t make this decision based on hoping spring 2027 fixes the value. I’d compare the cost of carrying it until then against the known cost of getting out now.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over a few resources that might help you think through the tax side of the options.
Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 304 votes
3w
I’d separate this into two questions: Can you survive it? and is surviving it the best use of your balance sheet? Those are not the same thing.
Right now the house is not actually consuming $5,944 of your monthly cash. With roughly $3,600 coming in from the people living there, your effective housing carry is closer to $2,344 before repairs/utilities/other ownership costs. That is still heavy, but it changes the picture materially.
What I would not do is jump straight from “this feels risky” to short sale, deed-in-lieu or bankruptcy. Those are exit tools after you’ve mapped the less destructive ones. VA itself treats modification/retention options separately from short sale and deed-in-lieu, and the latter two can affect future VA loan entitlement.
I’d build a simple decision tree around four numbers:
1. True monthly burn today. Not mortgage minus salary. Mortgage minus rental income, plus the actual variable costs of keeping the house.
2. Exact net sale deficit today. Don’t estimate “maybe $50k short.” Get a broker net sheet with likely sale price, commissions/concessions, closing costs and payoff.
3. Expected deficit in spring 2027. Run several sale-price scenarios instead of assuming appreciation saves you.
4. Cost of holding until then. If waiting 8 months costs you $16k–$25k in true incremental burn just to improve a $50k equity hole by $10k, you didn’t improve anything.
Also, I would not let May 5, 2027 drive the decision automatically. The two-year rule generally matters for excluding a gain on a primary residence. If you’re underwater and selling at a loss, there may be no gain to exclude in the first place.
So my sequence would be:
Servicer loss-mitigation review → exact current net sheet → 2027 hold/sell model → normal sale if economically tolerable → only then evaluate short sale/deed-in-lieu.
The house may be stressful, but stress by itself is not the underwriting variable.
The real question is: which exit destroys the least household net worth while preserving the most future optionality?
If you want, send me the property address and I’ll map the decision with the actual market value, likely sale proceeds, hold cost and VA exit paths so you can compare them side by side.
Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2w
If you're truly underwater and want out, the cleanest paths are a short sale or deed-in-lieu, but both carry real consequences for your VA entitlement that most people don't think through before deciding.
Short sale: VA will typically release you from the loan if the servicer approves, but your entitlement may not be restored until the loan is paid in full (even if you're off the hook). That means your next VA purchase could require a larger down payment or you may be limited by the remaining entitlement.
Deed-in-lieu: similar entitlement impact. Sometimes faster, sometimes lenders prefer short sale. You'll want to talk to your servicer directly and ask specifically about entitlement restoration before you agree to anything.
Before either of those, worth a few calls:
1. Talk to VA directly (1-800-827-1000) about your specific entitlement picture. They'll tell you what you actually have remaining and what each exit option does to it.
2. Ask your servicer about a VA compromise sale (their version of a short sale). They have retention incentives to keep loans performing, so sometimes there are options that don't get offered unless you ask.
3. Check whether the property could rent for close to your payment. Even break-even buys you time for appreciation and keeps your entitlement clean.
The underwater piece is painful but temporary in most markets. Burning entitlement is permanent until that loan is retired.
If the numbers truly don't work any other way, short sale with a clear entitlement conversation first. Don't sign anything until you know what it costs you on the VA side.