How to find foreclosures and auctions in Houston area

How to find foreclosures and auctions in Houston area

IT Professional · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 47 votes

Hello my fellow investor friends on BP,

I started out my REI journey on BP and it's been great getting all the support I needed as a newbie.

Since last year, my partner and I have completed 1 straight forward rental purchase off HAR (using conventional financing method) and we are in the middle to close our 2nd rental project which we went a more creative route. We got our 2nd deal from a broker and we purchased it using their HML. We have completed the rehab work and we are just waiting for our refi # and finding a tenant. This is our way to use the BRRRR strategy.

So what’s next?

So that brings me to what I want to discuss about what we want to do next. I am thinking of a ‘house hacking’ scenario.

I am in Houston area and my current focus areas are in Eado (east end revitalization is the market area on HAR) and Oak Forest/Spring branch area.a

I want to purchase something that I can create extra value by using creative financing and some sweat equity.

First thing first though…besides finding deals through wholesalers and brokers, does anyone have experiences or recommendations on finding foreclosures in Houston area? What’s the purchase process for foreclosures in Houston?

What about online auction? Has anyone had good experience using a certain tool for Houston area?

I have couple of ideas on creative financing but I will save that for another post.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had experiences in foreclosures and auction houses.

Thanks!

Iman

0Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cedar Creek, TX · Member since 2010 · 161 posts · 63 votes
    10y

    I bought my personal residence in Bastrop through the HUD online auction. Also, I have made bids through Home Search.com. Most true foreclosures get listed on MLS so you can look that way as well, I think zillow may even have a search for that. Don't pay for lists, they are posted for free at the courthouse or you can pay for a copy, many jurisdictions post them online as well. As long as you are firm in your own mind about your maximum offer auctions can work out but you need to be able to meet the closing terms of the auction which often includes all cash. This is an area that is dominated by people who are really good at it so I usually leave it to them, there are wholesalers who specialize in reselling auction properties and they can be a good source.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Iman,

    Did you find where to buy foreclosure or auction houses in Houston? I am trying to learn the process in Houston as I use to do it in Miami but there was a county website. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tamara Elliott-Deering:

    I bought my personal residence in Bastrop through the HUD online auction. Also, I have made bids through Home Search.com. Most true foreclosures get listed on MLS so you can look that way as well, I think zillow may even have a search for that. Don't pay for lists, they are posted for free at the courthouse or you can pay for a copy, many jurisdictions post them online as well. As long as you are firm in your own mind about your maximum offer auctions can work out but you need to be able to meet the closing terms of the auction which often includes all cash. This is an area that is dominated by people who are really good at it so I usually leave it to them, there are wholesalers who specialize in reselling auction properties and they can be a good source.

     Great advice.

  • Contractor · Webster, TX · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 75 votes
    5y

    @Tamara Elliott-Deering. The thing with foreclosures right now is that most loans cannot be foreclosed because there is a federal foreclosure moratorium. Now finding all those people behind in payment but in forebearance until the foreclosures start up again - now that would be an interesting opportunity.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    There are 2 websites that sell lists for Houston area foreclosures.  Lots of steps in here https://store.biggerpockets.co... 

    To find lists and data 2 options are our company Roddy's FLSonline.com or foreclosehouston.com

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.