preREO - First Mortgage Secured by Vacant Property

preREO - First Mortgage Secured by Vacant Property

Mark S.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes

As an investor in a couple of Jorge Newberry’s note funds, I came across one of his newer ventures: preREO.

I’ve heard him speak briefly about this on a podcast or two and am signed up to attend a webinar with them later this week.

The gist of it, the way I currently understand it, is they’re “partnering” with local investors who want to buy/partner on the first mortgages, go through the appointment process (through their sister company law firm) to be able to repair and rent out the property as it’s going through the foreclosure process.

The play is that rather than having to wait until the foreclosure process is completed, the investor can rent out the property (and earn a return - after rehabbing it, of course) during the process. Investor pays $2K program fee and 25% of the note acquisition price (they finance the remaining 75% via a participation agreement - at 12%). Supposedly, after signing participation agreement (I haven’t seen the documents yet), you can pay it off next day and essentially just pay 100% of the first mortgage acquisition price.

These are non-performing mortgages and the homes are vacant and in preforeclosure.

This doesn’t fit my typical passive, turnkey investment model, but I am considering taking on a local property as a “fun” project. The problem, other than this going against my philosophy of keeping everything passive, is I don’t think I’ll be able to get into the property to walk the inside prior to purchase and have no clue what I’m getting into. Sounds like a pretty easy way to get in over my head fast, but at the same time, it seems like an opportunity to pick up a property WAY under market value and there theoretically should still be plenty of meat on the bone.

Anyone familiar with this approach? Thoughts?

1Reply
307 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

Sounds crazy to me.....you are rehabbing a property you don’t own, and may never own. 

And.....”preREO”...just another goofy a$$ made up marketing term. 

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Les ArmourPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Has anyone who invested in non performing notes at Prereo actually been paid after selling the property? I sold a property on June 2nd and still have not received any funds. My account manager has basically gone silent. It’s concerning as I have a lot of money tied up in this. @Jorge Newbery

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Les Armour:

    Has anyone who invested in non performing notes at Prereo actually been paid after selling the property? I sold a property on June 2nd and still have not received any funds. My account manager has basically gone silent. It’s concerning as I have a lot of money tied up in this. @Jorge Newbery


     I believe they are having a conference call today about this site. Regarding not being paid, have you contacted them? 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Les ArmourPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Les Armour:

    Has anyone who invested in non performing notes at Prereo actually been paid after selling the property? I sold a property on June 2nd and still have not received any funds. My account manager has basically gone silent. It’s concerning as I have a lot of money tied up in this. @Jorge Newbery


     I believe they are having a conference call today about this site. Regarding not being paid, have you contacted them? 


     No i have not seen this. If you have information please send it over! 

  • Les ArmourPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Les Armour:

    Has anyone who invested in non performing notes at Prereo actually been paid after selling the property? I sold a property on June 2nd and still have not received any funds. My account manager has basically gone silent. It’s concerning as I have a lot of money tied up in this. @Jorge Newbery


     I believe they are having a conference call today about this site. Regarding not being paid, have you contacted them? 


     And yes, I have contacted several people including emailing Jorge and have not heard anything back regarding a date. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Les Armour:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Les Armour:

    Has anyone who invested in non performing notes at Prereo actually been paid after selling the property? I sold a property on June 2nd and still have not received any funds. My account manager has basically gone silent. It’s concerning as I have a lot of money tied up in this. @Jorge Newbery


     I believe they are having a conference call today about this site. Regarding not being paid, have you contacted them? 


     No i have not seen this. If you have information please send it over! 


    https://us06web.zoom.us/meetin...
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Quality Technician in a CNC Machine Shop · Rapid City, MI · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    I have been trying to get a note "deal" on Pre-REO for about a year. Gave up for a couple months as I have been swamped with life. Came back this morning and my log-in no longer works.....hmmmm. Anyone know if they changed the webpage recently?

    Melody

  • Rental Property Investor · Mason, OH · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 136 votes
    4y

    @Melody Everett-Neddo Yes, they changed the website.  This is the current link I log into: https://bidonhomes.com/notes/l... 

  • Quality Technician in a CNC Machine Shop · Rapid City, MI · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 35 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Adam Walter:

    @Melody Everett-Neddo Yes, they changed the website.  This is the current link I log into: https://bidonhomes.com/notes/l... 

    Thanks.  Actually the last time I opened it it automatically forwarded me to the new web page and until that happened I hadn't realized that was what had happened.   I apologize for not coming back here to update my own comment thank you for clarifying this though because someone reading this later might get help from this so thank you again.
  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 203 votes
    3y

    Anybody having luck getting a solid answer about the previous note funds? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mason, OH · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 136 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kevin Coggins:

    Anybody having luck getting a solid answer about the previous note funds? 


     I purchased a PreREO deal from them about 4-5 months ago.  There were a few hiccups which were resolved quickly and communication has been good overall.  My foreclosure sale date is the end of March 2023 and I will not anticipate getting paid from the sale for another 5-6 months.  I am in Ohio and purchase properties at foreclosure sales and am familiar with the process.   Sometimes it can take a while.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    None, nobody answers the phone, returns calls or emails @Jorge Newbery

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    working with PreREO is awful. The process was long and no one got back to you. Now I'm hit with a very expensive legal bill on top of it all. Nothing as it was explained. Avoid using the platform. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mason, OH · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 136 votes
    2y

    @Jorge Newbery Can you comment on this?

    After multiple phone calls and emails, I delivered the following email regarding my PreREO note purchase:  

    Hi Karen,

    Any update on this? I am growing very frustrated. The court received the funds 5 months ago, the sheriff mailed the check to the attorney's office in October 2023. The check has been cashed and it's still not settled with me. I am being charged $225 a month in interest on my loan to AHP. I'm feeling that I am being milked and preparing to get my attorney involved if we don't settle this soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Any update? did you ever receive your funds? I am in a similar situation. I stopped paying the interest on the loan over a year ago. I have written this off as a bad debt, 15K + interest and fees!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mason, OH · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 136 votes
    1y

    @Adriese Williams.  Yes I did receive the funds which surprised me a little.  Afterwards I found out that there is an ongoing lawsuit against PreREO in Washington State.  I know this because they filed an affidavit which clouded the title on a land contract that I purchased from them.   

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Adam Walter:

    @Adriese Williams.  Yes I did receive the funds which surprised me a little.  Afterwards I found out that there is an ongoing lawsuit against PreREO in Washington State.  I know this because they filed an affidavit which clouded the title on a land contract that I purchased from them.   


     PreREO I believe was run by the same person who owns AHP (American Home Preservation) - which has a lot of chatter on BP that you can search. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.