How to Find off-market deals

How to Find off-market deals

Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I’ve listened to bigger pockets for a year now, read much on investing, and finally ready to dive into investing in the north Texas area. I have an agent looking at deals, but how can I find multi-family properties or self-storage properties not on the market? 

1Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan SajderaBusiness Member
Realtor · Manhattan, KS · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 89 votes
4y

Hey Ty, the best way to get into deals off-market is to network. Are there any investor groups you can join? Everyone knows someone looking to sell something. You don't know someone, so you just need to talk to everyone and everyone will eventually introduce you to someone!  Mailers to out of state owners is another way to find deals too. Sometimes you catch people that are just fed up and ready to be done so they'll entertain an offer!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan SajderaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Manhattan, KS · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 89 votes
    4y

    Hey Ty, the best way to get into deals off-market is to network. Are there any investor groups you can join? Everyone knows someone looking to sell something. You don't know someone, so you just need to talk to everyone and everyone will eventually introduce you to someone!  Mailers to out of state owners is another way to find deals too. Sometimes you catch people that are just fed up and ready to be done so they'll entertain an offer!

  • Upstate New York · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Ryan said some great points… the market are  other  investors doing the same your doing.. meet up groups and investor friendly agent who also invests in to real estate.. And there the classic way which is driving for dollars and creating a mailing/contact list . On my way home from work I will use apps like deal machine and prop stream to mark down houses I think may be a motivated seller.. analyze the home when get home, because every house has their public records available and see if the seller of free and clear or may be motivated .. that’s when you become creative … I know the inventory is low and am looking this route to  acquire my first as well…it exciting for me 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I suggest you look for networks! Build more connections to gain trust. 

    Goodluck!

  • Lender · CO CA TX WA ID OR · Member since 2020 · 419 posts · 542 votes
    4y

    @Ty Spinks It's great you want to move forward into RE Investing, but sometimes folks need to come back to Earth. What I mean by that is - do you have cash? 

    Cash for both sustaining your bills (if you want to go full time) and cash for a deal. You can find OPM, however the majority of us starting out do not have access OPM. I recommend you have about 35% of the purchase price in cash to account for the initial purchase, holding costs, and loan costs. Or leverage other products that are geared toward primary residence purchases. Buy a home using a 0% down USDA or VA loan. If you don't qualify for either, consider a 3% down conventional on a property you can renovate yourself to get the experience as well as the best financing terms available.

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    You're fishing in the wrong lake if you have an agent trying to find deals on the retail market. Solid investments are most easily found through marketing and relationships. You won't find wholesale deals via the MLS.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Erik Browning:

    @Ty Spinks It's great you want to move forward into RE Investing, but sometimes folks need to come back to Earth. What I mean by that is - do you have cash? 

    Cash for both sustaining your bills (if you want to go full time) and cash for a deal. You can find OPM, however the majority of us starting out do not have access OPM. I recommend you have about 35% of the purchase price in cash to account for the initial purchase, holding costs, and loan costs. Or leverage other products that are geared toward primary residence purchases. Buy a home using a 0% down USDA or VA loan. If you don't qualify for either, consider a 3% down conventional on a property you can renovate yourself to get the experience as well as the best financing terms available.

    Hey Erik, thank you sir. And to answer your question, yes, I do have about 30% I can easily put down towards a multi family home in my market. I’ve spent the last year preparing myself financially so I’ve already already paid off bad debt, have no auto loans, great credit, emergency savings, stock investments, and now I have money set aside for real estate and looking to do my first deal. I’ve been contacting different folks in DFW along with lenders to wrap my head around what I need to do once I find the property. I am hoping I can keep growing my network with folks and start this journey. 
  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Ty Spinks 
    The best way to find off-market deals is to pick up the phone and start cold calling. 

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Ty Spinks. There are a variety of ways to do this. One way is to just drive around, especially in smaller towns and areas that are not as heavily populated in general.

    Another way is to build a database and systematically call, text, email, and even handwrite letters to these owners. You can also hand deliver letters if it’s in your area.

    Our company invests “passively” with some of the top self-storage and mobile home park operators. One of them has a team of 8 people, full time, working the phones to find the very best off-market deals. They come up with many deals per week that would be good, and this gives them the opportunity to select only the fantastic ones. They close on a few deals per month and their returns for us and our investors are off the charts. If you are really want to get serious, I would suggest you develop a systematic strategy like that to contact and re-contact mom-and-pop owners off market. Good luck!

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @Paul Moore Hey, Paul. WhY is price per unit, this said investor is buying?

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ty Spinks:

    I’ve listened to bigger pockets for a year now, read much on investing, and finally ready to dive into investing in the north Texas area. I have an agent looking at deals, but how can I find multi-family properties or self-storage properties not on the market? 


     Cold call! Cold call! Cold call! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 67 votes
    4y

    Hey Ty!

    Have you looked into Oklahoma? Our numbers are staying strong, cost of living is low and the state is very landlord friendly. We're also growing like crazy, so tons of cashflow opportunity.

    I'm a real estate investment specialist in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa markets and I work with a lot of investors like yourself to help connect them to investment properties. My team is moving 35 properties/month across Oklahoma. I'd love to connect and share some info on the market. Feel free to reach out if you're interested in a phone call at some point!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    You can go on facebook and search dfw investments in the DFW area and there will be many groups to choose from. A lot of people post off market properties in those groups. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.