Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
Right now we are paying about $1,000 per month for a garbage dumpster at my 24 unit apartment complex, and it's pretty much always full. We can't shrink the dumpster or decrease the number of pickups unless people throw away less stuff.
24 units for $1000 a month works out to $41.66 per unit, per month. What's crazy is that normal garbage service for a house is only $21 per month. So, technically, I could get 24 garbage cans, and give each tenant their own can and it would cut my costs by $500 per month.
However, 24 cans is just not going to happen. No room, and it would be a logistical nightmare.
Any suggestions? How do I cut my bill down, or encourage tenants to throw away less?
Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
10y
I didn't read the other posts, so I may be redundant. I think the first thing I would do (which you've probably already done) is see if there are less expensive vendors. I know our 4 yd dumpster costs $90 per month (emptied weekly) for our 11 unit. The disparity between the two is such that I can't help wonder if there is a cheaper alternative.
That being said, you COULD communicate to your tenants that garbage cost is out of control, and clarify what is "regular household" garbage, remind them to break down boxes, etc. You could go on to say that you will add a "swallowable" rent increase if you cannot get the garbage cost down within 30 days.
Courtright, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
10y
Hey everyone. I had just completed a course on Environmental Management and planning to start a small business. I am very excited about it because it was that I dreamt. But Still I have some doubts regarding the business. I am not sure how can I collect the wastes? While researching about this I found Gorilla bins, located in Caledon ( http://www.gorillabins.ca/ ). What you guys say about incorporating with them. I have licence to manage hazardous waste and I can drive a forklift. What are the other things I should focus on? Has anybody have experience in this field? Please share some tips and Ideas. Thank you..