Converting Single Family Residence Basement to Separate Unit in Indianapolis

Converting Single Family Residence Basement to Separate Unit in Indianapolis

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hi I Currently have an opportunity to purchase a single-family residence that has a detached ADU (1B/1B). The basement has full kitchen, 2b/2b and already has a dedicated exterior entrance. If I purchase the home my plan would be to convert the basement to it's own dedicated unit by installing a interior wall which would separate the main floor from the basement so the exterior entrance would be the only way to access the basement with it's own dedicated path on the outside of the property. Does anyone have any experience within Indianapolis in terms of what the overall process would look like to do this and is it even worth legitimizing the basement as a separate unit?

The benefits I see is the home would go from a single-family to a multi-unit property increasing the value with a re-appraisal.

1Reply
52 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeremy TallmanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 75 votes
    10mo

    I think basements as additional living space - assuming the basement is finished nicely, has egress, is free of radon, and is professionally waterproofed - are great ideas.

    However, we've had low success rates leasing even semi-below-grade apartments. Unless you have a GREAT area with super-strong demand, I would avoid it.  

    T&H Realty Services, Inc.4.41266 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.