As a new entrepreneur how do I get started in this businesse

As a new entrepreneur how do I get started in this businesse

Longview, WA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hi I’m Ayden 19 and am interested in the multi-family based rental businesses however im in schooling so i have little to no income how do i start off and if i start smaller what do you suggest I start with like a smaller buisness or a smaller rental size although I noticed the sites with more units are the only ones worth it

1Reply
227 views

Most Popular Reply

Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5d

Ayden, at 19, I’d actually take advantage of the fact that you have time to learn before taking on a large multifamily deal. I wouldn’t worry about buying a property with a lot of units just because the bigger properties look more profitable. A smaller rental or house hack can teach you the same fundamentals, financing, tenant management, repairs, underwriting, and cash flow with much less capital and risk.

Since you’re in school and don’t have much income yet, I’d focus on learning how to analyze deals, understanding different financing options, building your credit and savings, and getting connected with local investors and lenders. You can also learn a lot by helping other investors with things like deal research, property analysis, or finding off-market opportunities.

Once you have income and capital, you’ll be in a much better position to decide whether your first property should be a house hack, small multifamily, or something larger.

Happy to connect!

INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5d

    Ayden, at 19, I’d actually take advantage of the fact that you have time to learn before taking on a large multifamily deal. I wouldn’t worry about buying a property with a lot of units just because the bigger properties look more profitable. A smaller rental or house hack can teach you the same fundamentals, financing, tenant management, repairs, underwriting, and cash flow with much less capital and risk.

    Since you’re in school and don’t have much income yet, I’d focus on learning how to analyze deals, understanding different financing options, building your credit and savings, and getting connected with local investors and lenders. You can also learn a lot by helping other investors with things like deal research, property analysis, or finding off-market opportunities.

    Once you have income and capital, you’ll be in a much better position to decide whether your first property should be a house hack, small multifamily, or something larger.

    Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4d

    @Ayden Geer

    Instead of worrying about acquiring the largest possible investment property at 19 years old, you should think about generating income and establishing your credit, savings, and deal analysis abilities so that you are prepared for when the perfect deal presents itself. Investing in a small multifamily or house hacking can make an excellent first step, but until you are in a position to finance the deal, learn through deal analysis and earning within the industry.


    Good luck!

    • Longview, WA · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 2 votes
      4d

      Thx for the advice I have been looking for good options for things like that and am going to try to start somewhere simple just wanted a perspective from a professional

    • Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 7 votes
      3d

      Wale, you're here too? It's good to see you. I wanted to add that let him figure it out. There are kids younger than him making millions right now. Lil man, don't focus on the bigger units yet. Focus on anything above 5-units then learn about wholesaling, if your parents are involved in business have them show you how to get into the business space with your own LLC or Corporation. Then you can work with that as you level up over time. School is alright and all, however you won't learn anything unless you take action. While everyone else is wasting time memorizing theory, you can be out there putting action into practice then watch how you have surpassed everyone in your classes from experience.

  • Ismael ReyesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Port St. Lucie · Member since 2013 · 140 posts · 97 votes
    2d

    Hi @Ayden Geer , at 19, you’re actually in a great position because you have time on your side.

    If you have little to no income right now, I wouldn’t focus first on buying a property. I’d focus on building your knowledge, your network, and your ability to bring value to a deal.

    Multifamily can be a great business, but you don’t necessarily have to start by owning a large apartment complex. You can start smaller by learning how to analyze deals, understanding the numbers, and connecting with owners, brokers, lenders, and experienced operators. You can also look for ways to partner with someone who has the capital but needs someone who can help find or operate deals.

    And you’re right that larger properties can have better economies of scale, but “more units = better deal” isn’t always true. The numbers, location, financing, management, and the business plan matter much more than the unit count.

    While you’re in school, I’d use this time to get really good at analyzing multifamily deals and building relationships. When you eventually have income or access to capital, you’ll be much better prepared to recognize a good opportunity.

    Start with becoming valuable before worrying about becoming an owner. That can be your first investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.