Know Thy Cap Rate: The illusive obvious in apartment investing.

Know Thy Cap Rate: The illusive obvious in apartment investing.

Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 123 votes

Know Thy Cap Rate: The illusive obvious.

For some reason cap rates seem to be the most misunderstood term (ratio actually) in all of real estate. I often get asked by new investors what a cap rate is and what does it mean. I never get asked the same question by commercial and multifamily brokers but often find out (in a roundabout sort of way) that many have no clue either.

So I hope to tackle this issue once and for all and if I am successful, this should be the most read blog post on the internet for new investors (brokers you can read it too; don’t worry we wont tell).

So first of all the definition: Cap rate is short for capitalization rate; which means an indirect measurement on how fast the income produced by the property can repay the amount that was invested (assuming you paid cash for the property).

In other words, if you purchased a $1,000,000 asset with no loans that produced $100,000 in Net Operating Income (All income less all expenses = NOI) then the cap rate would be 10; meaning you would get 10% of your investment back each year. Therefore 10 years is the rate in which the property would "capitalize" itself.

$100,000 / $1,000,000 = 0.10 = 10%

Cap rate would also be your rate of return on investment assuming you had no closing costs and had no debt on the property.

Here are some basic formulas. Memorize them. 

Cap Rate = NOI / Value

NOI = Price x Cap Rate

Value = NOI / Cap Rate

Learn it. Know it. Live it!

So what does this all mean? and a better question might be, how can we as investors (and even wholesalers) use this information to our benefit?

Since most apartment buyers do not buy their properties all cash but rather employ the use of some kind of financing, it is important to realize that the cap rate is commonly used in commercial and multifamily assets in the same way that “comps” (price comparisons) are used in a single family sale.

How do you value a single family house? You find two or three like-and-kind homes with similar square footage with similar condition in a similar location and you make calculated assumption that if they sold for a certain price that your similar property should too. Then you make slight adjustments to your valuation according to any minor differences in your subject property (“well mine has fresh paint and carpet”, or “this one’s lot is slightly bigger”, or in a “better location”, etc, so I’ll add a little value to the price tag).

You will use the cap rate in the same way. You find two or three (or more) like-and-kind apartment buildings with similar square footage or unit count, with similar condition of repair, and in a similar location and you make calculated assumption that if they sold for a certain cap rate that your similar property should too.

Another thing to understand about cap rate is they are also a measure of risk.

Higher risk markets will have higher cap rates: Investors want a better return for a higher risk.

Low risk markets will have lower cap rates: Investors can settle for a lower cap rate if there is little chance they can lose.

So when I hear “guru’s” teach that someone should only look for 10 cap properties that’s like telling a new investor that they should only look for $90,000 houses. A 10 cap is relevant to the market like a $90,000 house is relevant to the market.

A $90,000 house in Beverly Hills would basically be free.

A $90,000 house in Detroit would be foolish.

Imagine calling a broker in Beverly Hills and saying “Hi, I just graduated from a seminar and I want to make offers on all the $90,000 houses in Beverly Hills”. You would not be taken very seriously. In fact, you would be laughed at.

On the other hand, if you went to Detroit and said you were looking for $90,000 homes they would flood you with everything on the market… and call you a sucker.

Beverly Hills has so much demand there is not much risk of houses becoming worth $90k.

Detroit on the other hand has so much risk that investors would not be willing to pay $90k for a house.

This is exactly the same thing for apartments.

By announcing to the world you only want to buy 10 cap properties you are saying “I like high risk markets”.

By going to low risk markets like Los Angeles or San Diego or New York (vacancy is never an issue in these markets as long as you manage the building some-what effectively) and ask a listing broker for a 10 cap you will make yourself look ridiculous.

It’s the same thing.

But let’s not get confused by this. Would I buy a 10 cap property in LA? Absolutely! But that would not be market value. It would be a deep discount. And I specialize in getting deep discounts on real estate.

So how do we use the cap rate in the real world?

The first thing you want to do when you enter a market is find out what the Market Cap is; what are real buyers willing to pay for the amount of risk that exists in this market?

If you are looking for a 20 unit building in a certain area, what are the general cap rates that similar like-and-kind properties have recently sold for? Is it a five cap? Seven cap? Ten cap?

The answer to this question will also be a tell on what kind of market you are dealing in; Higher cap rates mean your purchase price is cheaper; Sellers are willing to sell their properties cheaper when they know there is a higher risk to accommodate for.

So let’s say you go into a market and find that five buildings with unit counts between 18 and 30 have recently sold (within the last year) for 7.8; 7.9; 8; 8.1; and 8.2 cap rates.

You could conclude that this would be about an eight cap market.

Let's say you find a building for sale and it produces a $70,000 in NOI (Net Operating Income).

Is $1,000,000 a good price? That would be a 7 cap.

Is $875,000 a good price? (8 cap).

What if you were able to negotiate an $823,000 price? That would be an 8.5 cap. Do you think someone in the market would buy that asset from you on assignment at an 8 cap? The market says that somebody would.

Do you suddenly see how cap rates are relative?

Can you now understand how you can do very well by simply playing the margins on cap rates?

Know your Market Cap.

22Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
11y

Great write-up!  

Now if we could only get a good picture of what a cap rate really is.  Those that posted rates are notoriously skewed.  Who decides what the actual numbers are?  The selling agent?  Of course they want their sale to look good....

I find that it is very difficult to accurately utilize cap rates in buying and selling. They are a tool but I like to use cost per unit. Of course the cap rate and cash-on-cash are important numbers. But small changes in the NOI make for big changes in the valuations thus leading to easy manipulation. Using the cost per unit makes it much easier for me to filter through the jungle.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Dang!! You mean there's no houses for $90,000 at Beverly Hills? There goes my plan!!! 

    Great info. Thanks

  • Professional · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2014 · 186 posts · 81 votes
    11y

    Great post @Matt Skinner 

    I'm looking into multi-family instead of SFH so this definitely helps.

    I  think it would fit better as a blog posting though.

    What do you think @Brandon Turner ?

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Very good explanation @Matt Skinner ! 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I'm currently reading What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures and while it obviously covers cap rates quite thoroughly, you've added additional, very valuable details. Thanks!

  • Lender · Hot Springs Village, AR · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    Is there a difference between cap rate and return on investment?

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 123 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Shane W. 

    My friend @willbernard just introduced me to BP.  I'm still new to the scene here so that is probably good advice to post this as a blog.  Didn't know I could. 

  • Professional · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2014 · 186 posts · 81 votes
    11y

    No worries @Matt Skinner yeah I noticed you had just joined. Welcome!

    Luckily for a new investor like myself I do have this right off the bat, so I'm very grateful to have found it.

    Also the blogs sometimes are featured on the newsletter or Facebook page.

    Hopefully we can do some deals down the road!

    Here's the blog link:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 123 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed has a bunch of deals like this (with ocean views) in Houston!  

  • Involved In Real Estate · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    @Matt Skinner 

     Great post! I always find it odd when people in real estate don't understand this very basic/important term. You give some great examples with simple breakdowns. I will definitely be sending people to read this when they need an education (re-education) on the cap rate concept.

  • Eric TaitPro Member
    Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 314 posts · 146 votes
    11y

    Quick question, wouldn't you consider the principle pay down portion of you payment as part of your ROI calculation as well?

  • Robert ChuangPro Member
    Realtor · Arcadia, CA · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    @Matt Skinner 

    Great Post Matt!

    I will see you the next CIA meeting!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    11y
    Awesome post! Thanks for the great info.
  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 123 votes
    11y

    @Eric Tait great question. 

    We would calculate Principle reduction, Tax benefits, Cash distributions and 

    Appreciation combined as IRR - internal rate of return.

    I'm no accountant though. 

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    11y
    Be careful with principle pay down as you get into property value at that point. If you pay down $2,000 of principle but the value of the home as dropped $5,000 your numbers will look awful... Can't really count one without keeping an eye on the other one too.
  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    11y

    @Matt Skinner 

    Excellent explanation of CAP rate! Thank you for the info and welcome to BP!

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    Great write-up!  

    Now if we could only get a good picture of what a cap rate really is.  Those that posted rates are notoriously skewed.  Who decides what the actual numbers are?  The selling agent?  Of course they want their sale to look good....

    I find that it is very difficult to accurately utilize cap rates in buying and selling. They are a tool but I like to use cost per unit. Of course the cap rate and cash-on-cash are important numbers. But small changes in the NOI make for big changes in the valuations thus leading to easy manipulation. Using the cost per unit makes it much easier for me to filter through the jungle.

  • Contractor · Land O' lakes, FL · Member since 2014 · 129 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Great job explaining cap rate @Matt Skinner.  For investors this explanation provides a good starting place for determining for what the cap rate is and its approximate value in a market.

    To determine if something is good for a particular investor though I'd suggest folks use the Band of Equity Investment Method. This uses personal information about your mortgage to determine if a deal is good specifically for you with your given mortgage terms.

    Here's a fast breakdown: (LTV X Interest rate on mortgage) + (Down payment X Fair market return)

    So if your LTV is 75%, mortgage constant is 7.875%, down payment is 25% and a fair market return is 9% then your equation would look like this:

    (.75 X .07875) + (.25 X .09) => (.0590) + (.0225) = .0815 => .0815 X 100% = 8.2% cap rate

    So if everything in the market is trading at a 6-8 cap this might be a great deal for others but not you since you mortgage terms put you above the range. Finding other deals or reworking one of your factors is needed to be competitive in that market.

  • Contractor · Land O' lakes, FL · Member since 2014 · 129 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    You got in there before I could finish @Steve Olafson 

    See above post for how they are determined.

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    I believe a $90k house in Beverly Hills is called a pool house.

  • USA · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 13 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Olafson:

    I find that it is very difficult to accurately utilize cap rates in buying and selling. They are a tool but I like to use cost per unit. Of course the cap rate and cash-on-cash are important numbers. But small changes in the NOI make for big changes in the valuations thus leading to easy manipulation. Using the cost per unit makes it much easier for me to filter through the jungle.

    I agree that cap rate is easily skewed one way or another when you want to quickly determine if a deal is worth pursuing.  For properties in the same area, I usually use Gross Yield (Gross Rent/Purchase Price) to see if I like it.  Initially I assume that the expenses should be the same for similar properties (age, size, etc) in the same area.

    If you don't mind could you elaborate on how you use cost per unit?  Maybe with an example?  How do you account for different apartment sizes?  I assume a 1BR can't be expected to carry the same costs as a 3BR...

    Thanks,

    John

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John O.:

    Agreed!!!!

    If you don't mind could you elaborate on how you use cost per unit?  Maybe with an example?  How do you account for different apartment sizes?  I assume a 1BR can't be expected to carry the same costs as a 3BR...

     That is right.  I look at the property and the statistics before coming up with a cost per unit.  The area, unit mix, financials, configuration, etc....  I can tell what is rentable and what is not.  I can usually tell what rents will be from a glance.

    I used cap rate when I first started investing.  When the realization came that cap rates were so bendable and easily manipulated, I began using cost per unit.  It is how I am calibrated and it works for me.

  • USA · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Thanks Steve!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Steve Olafson 

    I'm curious to know how you have approached valuation on a per unit basis.  

    We've also migrated to a value-per-unit approach when analysing apartment buildings, but we weight units based on what their type (bachelor/studio, 1, 2, 3-bdrm).  Furthermore, our weightings are not globally fixed, but will vary depending upon the area:  viz. a 3, or 4-bdrm flat gets a higher weighting in universityville, than it would in the areas where young professionals are the target clientele.   2-bdrms in most of our areas are the baseline (weight 1) and the others are deviations from that point.  

    While an analysis of mean and average market rent by unit type is a component of our weighting, our overall determination is not entirely scientific and relies on local knowledge and experience.  As a consequence, it's not general enough to be easily portable to new markets ... we need to learn the market before we can take the noise out of our analysis.

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 123 votes
    11y

    While price per unit should be a part of any valuation analysis, banks won't use it for appraisal/financing and if you are in repositions or development it's a difficult factor to use to project SMV (stabilized market value) (similar to ARV in single family rehabs).

    In our office we have a saying that if you can't prove a number three ways in due diligence it's probably not a number you can count on. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Matt Skinner 

    I agree on proving numbers three (or more) ways.

    Our value-per-unit approach has been an attempt at creating tool to be used for first swat at a property - something simply to use as GRM, CAP, etc., but which gives us a better picture - before we have all the data from the vendor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.