Franklin Curry Jr
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Can you house hack a duplex?

Franklin Curry Jr
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Nov 3 2018, 19:26

Hello BP Community,

So I'll get straight to the point. My wife and I are planning on selling our current home so we can dramatically lower our mortgage with another house that is half the cost of our current mortgage. We plan on moving in to a single family home and want to bank the difference to invest in to our first property. While living in that house we want to renovate it and apply the BRRR strategy.

We are also considering a plan B where we sell our current home and move in to a duplex. We are looking to fix up the duplex while we live there and rent out the other side. Once we get the whole house renovated we plan on renting out both sides and repeat the process on another property. 

My question is this, can one typically house hack a duplex as you would a single family home? I know it may ultimately depend on the laws in that state and the loan you are approved for but I'm curious and would love to hear from anyone who has or knows somebody who has tried this strategy. What was your or their experience from it?

Thank you,

Loading replies...