My 22 unit went live!

My 22 unit went live!

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes

I thought some of the Multifamily Investors would be interested in the last deal I finished on.

Purchase price: $190,000

Cash invested: $625,000

The 22 unit that took me for a interesting ride! The moral of the story is BUY IT RIGHT! When I took this down I thought I would be some were around a 20% cap rate...it ended up being a 15% cap rate which is an estimate based off estimated expenses since we just started housing people in Dec. 2018. At the end of the day if you buy the property with wiggle room you can walk away with a great property, and a great return.

The cool part is this started as my five year old daughter drew a very interesting blue print of the house she wanted to build for the homeless...That started our interest, and we closed on this building March 16th, 2018 which just happens to be her B-Day!

This is a great project we are helping with transitional housing for the homeless. We master leased the building to a NFP who will lease the entire building back from us and house their clients as they prepare them to re-enter the work force and normal housing.

I was able to use private money to finance the deal. I paid a flat 10% for all the money invested, and I rolled the interest payments into the loan so that there was $0 out of pocket. Since it was private money I didn't have to pay any points which made the financing much more manageable.

We did a total renovation - New TPO roof, New Windows, New Plumbing, New Electrical, New Base Board Heat, New Window Units, LVP flooring in the common area, Sanded and Painted Hardwood floors in the units, New Kitchens and bath for each unit.

The Deal by the Numbers -

Purchased for $190k
Spent $435k on renovation costs
All in at $625k which included paying the investors 10% on their money during the renovation period! (No money out of pocket)
$14,256/month gross rent (master lease so 1 rent check a month)
Estimated Monthly Net $7840/month
Estimated NOI $94,089
Cap Rate of 15% give or take a little
Initial Cap Rate prior to the plumbing issues would have been 17% Cap Rate - Did I say But It Right?

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Make sure your GC is getting valid bids from valid subs! I took his bid as reality when in actuality it was way off. I needed to validate he got bids from licensed electricians, and plumbers prior to closing on this deal. I would still have taken it down, but I would have had better expectations with the final result had I been closer to the final budget. Our plumbing budget of $10k ended up being $81k once the licensed plumber fixed everything!

15Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 83 votes
7y
@Matt Popilek Congrats on your success!! You're 100% correct, double check your bids. Always add a 20% buffer when it comes to construction. My husband is a GC. I worked with him for years. A lot of gc rely on estimates as real numbers. Good ones know to add the buffer. Where did you buy this property? And how long was the project? Maybe I missed that sorry.
See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 83 votes
    7y
    @Matt Popilek Congrats on your success!! You're 100% correct, double check your bids. Always add a 20% buffer when it comes to construction. My husband is a GC. I worked with him for years. A lot of gc rely on estimates as real numbers. Good ones know to add the buffer. Where did you buy this property? And how long was the project? Maybe I missed that sorry.
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Marjeanne Fields Good Questions, and Solid points. I bought this in Kansas City, MO. The project took 8 months to complete, but should have been done in 6 had I not had to fire the original GC and hire a new one.

  • Investor · SF Bay Area , CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Matt my congratulations. You've initiated a dream come true for me - affordable housing and I'd never heard of a master lease to a non-profit. Amazing return at 15%. And welcome to rehab - it always costs more and takes longer. But FUN! I just emailed you from LoopNet. 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek

    Awesome Matt! Really great work! 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek that's a crazy good deal! Good for you!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    Thanks all!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Congratulations Matt!   Great example.   

  • Gorham, ME · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 186 votes
    7y

    Congrats!  Such a great deal!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    Thanks All!

  • Specialist · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2009 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek Great to hear about your experience - and thanks for sharing specific numbers. How long did it take you to find the property? Was this your first MF project? 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I actually got called from the Seller so this one in particular didn't take anytime to find, unless you count the years of networking that resulted in the call :). This actually is my 2nd multifamily purchase, but my first multifamily project that has went live. My first project is still under construction and expected to start renting this month...so I should have a second story to follow this one up, and many more as the deals continue. 

  • Specialist · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2009 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek That's great. I'm sure it took a lot of time over the years, but nice to have someone approach you! 

    I'll look for details on your other project soon. Is that in KC as well? 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Yes I currently only own property in KCMO. I am looking to extend my reach into Galveston, TX later this year as I will be buying a couple beach properties for STR. My wife and I really enjoy the AirBnB platform, and want to extend that a little further into a warmer climate that we can enjoy in the winter!

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek

    Congratulations. I wish I was young again and had your energy!

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    Good cap rate.  How is property value increase rate in the area?  I may invest there. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Don Konipol - I have a few guys like you that just fund the deal and get a percentage of the deal. If you ever want to walk down that path let me know. 

    @David Smith - This section of town has historically been a depressed part of town a typical D to C- market. Fortunately I lived in KC long enough to see Midtown get turned around, and I am seeing the same thing happen in the North East section of town where my properties are.  I don't expect this section of town to increase in value the next couple of years, but I would expect a positive outlook over the next 5-10 years as long as our economy continues to be strong. Regardless of the future value if you buy at high cap rates and you plan to hold the property for the long hall you really can't go wrong. Where you get into a bind is if you are trying to liquidate quickly you could run into a struggle in this part of town. I would be buying elsewhere if I was looking to flip the building. I bought this one particularly because of the master lease, and a college has a contract to bring their AG school into the industrial park across the road so I am expecting my property to eventually convert to student housing as long as the college does move in.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Hawthorne, NJ · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Congrats Matt! This is awesome

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    That's quite the reposition you got there Matt! I hope the deal continues to work well for you, congrats!

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    Thanks All!

  • Ellis HammondPro Member
    Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    $10k vs $81k! Woah! That would have sunk most ships. Great job @Matt Popilek

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Ellis Hammond - that was a tough pill to swallow, but we pushed through. The deal ended up good, but it would have been better with out the screw up! Had we done it right we probably just saved 10k so actually the end results are close regardless.

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 173 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek Thanks for sharing your story!  Congrats on the deal Matt.  It definitely changed my mind when I heard that each property is a deal at the right price.  In saying that, it is still vitally important to make good and educated decisions of investments, but as you said, if you "Buy it right," that is how deals are founded.  Looking forward to seeing more success from you!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    @Matt Popilek Awesome homework, execution path and strategy! Congratulations Matt.
  • Rental Property Investor · Northville, MI · Member since 2015 · 179 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Matt Popilek . 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    I appreciate all the kind remarks...I hope this story helps someone reduce the limiting beliefs, and get out there and find a deal! Feel free to reach out if you need any guidance in Kansas City area. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.