My 22 unit went live!

My 22 unit went live!

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes

I thought some of the Multifamily Investors would be interested in the last deal I finished on.

Purchase price: $190,000

Cash invested: $625,000

The 22 unit that took me for a interesting ride! The moral of the story is BUY IT RIGHT! When I took this down I thought I would be some were around a 20% cap rate...it ended up being a 15% cap rate which is an estimate based off estimated expenses since we just started housing people in Dec. 2018. At the end of the day if you buy the property with wiggle room you can walk away with a great property, and a great return.

The cool part is this started as my five year old daughter drew a very interesting blue print of the house she wanted to build for the homeless...That started our interest, and we closed on this building March 16th, 2018 which just happens to be her B-Day!

This is a great project we are helping with transitional housing for the homeless. We master leased the building to a NFP who will lease the entire building back from us and house their clients as they prepare them to re-enter the work force and normal housing.

I was able to use private money to finance the deal. I paid a flat 10% for all the money invested, and I rolled the interest payments into the loan so that there was $0 out of pocket. Since it was private money I didn't have to pay any points which made the financing much more manageable.

We did a total renovation - New TPO roof, New Windows, New Plumbing, New Electrical, New Base Board Heat, New Window Units, LVP flooring in the common area, Sanded and Painted Hardwood floors in the units, New Kitchens and bath for each unit.

The Deal by the Numbers -

Purchased for $190k
Spent $435k on renovation costs
All in at $625k which included paying the investors 10% on their money during the renovation period! (No money out of pocket)
$14,256/month gross rent (master lease so 1 rent check a month)
Estimated Monthly Net $7840/month
Estimated NOI $94,089
Cap Rate of 15% give or take a little
Initial Cap Rate prior to the plumbing issues would have been 17% Cap Rate - Did I say But It Right?

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Make sure your GC is getting valid bids from valid subs! I took his bid as reality when in actuality it was way off. I needed to validate he got bids from licensed electricians, and plumbers prior to closing on this deal. I would still have taken it down, but I would have had better expectations with the final result had I been closer to the final budget. Our plumbing budget of $10k ended up being $81k once the licensed plumber fixed everything!

15Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 83 votes
7y
@Matt Popilek Congrats on your success!! You're 100% correct, double check your bids. Always add a 20% buffer when it comes to construction. My husband is a GC. I worked with him for years. A lot of gc rely on estimates as real numbers. Good ones know to add the buffer. Where did you buy this property? And how long was the project? Maybe I missed that sorry.
See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek great job brother. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Dan Krupa...see you on the 15th?

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek going to try for it! Might have another meeting that night. Love what you and Nathan are doing. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Dan Krupa Thanks! See you soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Galveston, TX · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek As a very new entrant into the real estate arena, and as a current Galvestonian, I’m wondering why you’ve chosen Galveston as the place to invest for your next properties

    Chad

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @J Chad Davis - My dream has been to live on the beach for as long as I can remember. The 14 plex I am renovating I am planning to sell, and reinvest the proceeds into a beach front property that I can Short Term Rent, and live in as well.  I really hate cold weather so I plan to move the family down to Texas, and open another company in Houston area...So I will be running an investment company in KC and Houston once I make the move...Hopefully this summer as long as everything goes as planned.

  • Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Matt Popilek great project and love the social benefit twist. How nice to just get one check from the NFP each month. I’m in Dallas, so once you start getting situated in Texas, let me know if you’re up this way and want to grab a beer.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed - Thanks for connecting! Let's communicate through email so we can schedule a meet up once I move to TX! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Galveston, TX · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    Living on Galveston island is great and I love my view of the water.  I'm just intrigued by someone moving across the country to live and invest here.  It's so interesting how varied things are from one place to another, not just from a market perspective, but in many different aspects.  Do you plan to find a beachfront multiplex here?

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @j chad davis I will be looking for a MF for my first purchase and will get to know the local market before I get the next one.

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 579 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    Congrats on the 22 unit!  Galveston is great place to live. Lots to do but do your due diligence on schools and neighborhoods.  Windstorm, flood insurance and property taxes can take a huge bite out of your cashflow but overall prices will be better here than any other coastal area.

    AirBNB/Short-term rentals do well here all year round.  Lots of opportunities and friendly folks to help you.  

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Belinda Lopez Thanks for the insight. Public Schools are for sure a concern! I will make sure to do the due diligence!

  • David AcostaPro Member
    Wilmington, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 144 votes
    7y

    Congrats on the success, @Matt Popilek !  Looking forward to following along!

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Popilek:

    @Account Closed Yes I currently only own property in KCMO. I am looking to extend my reach into Galveston, TX later this year as I will be buying a couple beach properties for STR. My wife and I really enjoy the AirBnB platform, and want to extend that a little further into a warmer climate that we can enjoy in the winter!

    Careful there Matt, it does snow on occasion in Galveston lol. It is a nice climate though and lots to do all year around. When you get down that way give me a pm. You might find something that interests me when you get there.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Mike Reynolds Don't be messing with my dream ;) I can handle a flurry or two and long as the temp averages 60+ which it seems like that is the case from everything I have seen...I will put up with 60 :)  Connect with me on FB and what not so we can stay in touch. I will be building my second business down there and keeping KC moving as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.