What areas are best to invest

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Luray, VA · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 293 votes
7y

Hi @Stuart Allen

If you are curious about best areas to invest across the country then I would refer you to Todd Dexheimer's posts:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/68178-to...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/66160-ho...

The second link to his emerging market post will help you determine if Killeen, TX is showing signs as a good area to invest in. 

Best!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    I am moving to Killeen soon, I'm interested in the responses as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Stuart Allen I live in NYC and found it to be too expensive for long term rental investment properties. I looked in Texas and started with Austin which is now also overly priced. I then discovered Killeen almost a month ago. I am a new investor and listened to @Brandon Turner@David Greene,Rich Dad Poor Dad and Crushing It in Apartments audible books and the Biggerpockets podcasts. Used the rental calculator which I learned from @Brandon Turner webinar to evaluate several properties and became a Pro Member. I've noticed that property values in Killeen have started to go up in the last several years. I am look specifically at mulit-family and was led by Idan Zur a realtor and investor towards investing in fourplexes. He also linked me with lenders. I feel strongly now to go ahead and invest in the very near future. There is positive cash flow and a mentor in Idan. Keeping my fingers crossed and taking the leap, enough analysis!

  • Real Estate Agent · Luray, VA · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 293 votes
    7y

    Hi @Stuart Allen

    If you are curious about best areas to invest across the country then I would refer you to Todd Dexheimer's posts:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/68178-to...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/66160-ho...

    The second link to his emerging market post will help you determine if Killeen, TX is showing signs as a good area to invest in. 

    Best!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Does Idan have a BP account? Where did you meet him? Also, did he connect you with local portfolio lenders?

  • Specialist · Washington, DC · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    Message me your criteria and I will see what I can find.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 479 votes
    7y

    @Stuart Allen I have multifamily in San Antonio and Austin. I do not have anything in Killeen. If you know Killeen like the back of your hand, maybe it is a great spot for you to invest. If you know a market very well, and it checks all the boxes from a high level, you will be able to make a wise investment.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 636 posts · 486 votes
    7y

    I would be careful. I know way too many investors who have a "it's so cheap I can't afford not to invest there" mentality. In my experience cheap properties require a lot of hand-holding and extra maintenance. If you have reliable workers out there or are local willing to do a lot of your own work, it might make sense, but there's a reason why remote investors stick to higher-end markets

  • Rental Property Investor · OR · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Gaurav Bhasin:

    @Stuart Allen I live in NYC and found it to be too expensive for long term rental investment properties. I looked in Texas and started with Austin which is now also overly priced. I then discovered Killeen almost a month ago. I am a new investor and listened to @Brandon Turner@David Greene,Rich Dad Poor Dad and Crushing It in Apartments audible books and the Biggerpockets podcasts. Used the rental calculator which I learned from @Brandon Turner webinar to evaluate several properties and became a Pro Member. I've noticed that property values in Killeen have started to go up in the last several years. I am look specifically at mulit-family and was led by Idan Zur a realtor and investor towards investing in fourplexes. He also linked me with lenders. I feel strongly now to go ahead and invest in the very near future. There is positive cash flow and a mentor in Idan. Keeping my fingers crossed and taking the leap, enough analysis!


     did you end up investing in Killeen? how is it going? thinking on Killeen, but haven't decided if Temple could be better for rentals

  • Investor · Temple, TX · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 83 votes
    4y

    Killeen is a different animal. There is lots of turnover and lots of inventory (relatively speaking). I personally do not invest in any holds in Killeen, so I have a bit of a skewed opinion. That being said, I think we are starting to see that historic perception turn around as people can't afford to live in Austin and Killeen is in striking distance to commute. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I know of a few folks that work in north Austin and commute to Killeen every day. One can buy a nice house in Killeen for a fraction of the prices in the Austin metro. I just closed a deal for a lady who bought a duplex fha in Killeen owner occupy who will be working from home 3 days a week but has to go into the office a couple of days a week. Her cost of living from went well over $1800 a month to hardly anything. The biggest expense will be car expenses such as gas and maintenance which could add up but its unlikely to be even close to $1800 a month. The space  in between is shrinking

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.