Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 583 posts · 919 votes
7y
To give you an idea of how conservative we underwrite, even with the $300 increase in rents:
We met with the new manager at the property this morning, and she says our post-renovation rents need to go up another $50 on the 1x1s. We knew that going in, but it provides an additional $700K of upside to help us outperform.
Don't be too aggressive with your underwriting; give yourself some cushion.
Flew out to Phoenix twice at the beginning of the month and drove the neighborhood in the am and pm and it's a really nice area. Not even an up-and-coming street but an already there street.
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 354 posts · 98 votes
7y
Congratulations @Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms for putting together another amazing deal and closing it! It is exciting to see. Thank you for all the education and tips you have given the group. Looking forward to seeing how this value-add plays out.
I had the chance to tour this property. Ben is not exaggerating in the slightest when he talks about neighboring communities and retail presence. This property is directly in the path of progress and Ben and Sam have positioned themselves well to capitalize on these market dynamics.
I've worked with Ben and Sam closely, and can say that it really helps to have the localized knowledge that these two bring. Coupled with their really strong property management team, these guys will be doing great things for their investors for years to come!
Congrats! What sort of rehabs are you going to do with that $1.5M?
- How many units are you going to be upgrading?
- What sorts of finishes are you going to be putting into the units?
- Do you see an equal amount of upside in increasing income as you do in lowering expenses?
Thanks!
Brendan
Brendan,
Our scope on this is about $7500 per unit on the interior, and the rest on the common areas. On the interior, we do cabinets, quartz/granite tops, underhung sinks, flooring, paint, fixtures.
The business plan calls for remodeling all units.
The last comment is interesting. We are actually underwriting higher expenses by a good clip than the seller. Their expenses are not sustainable. This is why we need that $300 per door bump, some of which is to compensate for higher operating costs.
Does this help?
Very helpful, thanks! That picture you posted above - is that what the units are going to look like after rehab?
Super exciting project! It's a impressive opportunity, and I think @Sam Grooms and @Ben Leybovich have done a KILLER job, very specifically with their underwriting process on this. I was hesitant to jump in the previous AZ deal, because I personally wasn't ready, but I couldn't pass on this one. Glad that I've been able to be a part of this one! It will be fun to watch it play out!
Let's get moving on the next one!
Glad to have you in this acquisition, Drew. Here's to many more!
Congrats! What sort of rehabs are you going to do with that $1.5M?
- How many units are you going to be upgrading?
- What sorts of finishes are you going to be putting into the units?
- Do you see an equal amount of upside in increasing income as you do in lowering expenses?
Thanks!
Brendan
Brendan,
Our scope on this is about $7500 per unit on the interior, and the rest on the common areas. On the interior, we do cabinets, quartz/granite tops, underhung sinks, flooring, paint, fixtures.
The business plan calls for remodeling all units.
The last comment is interesting. We are actually underwriting higher expenses by a good clip than the seller. Their expenses are not sustainable. This is why we need that $300 per door bump, some of which is to compensate for higher operating costs.
Does this help?
Very helpful, thanks! That picture you posted above - is that what the units are going to look like after rehab?
No, those pictures are as-is. This is what our scope looks like:
How aggressive are you on the remodel of the Unit turns? I didn't see what the current occupancy rate is, Will you get to do any substantial turns early on due to any vacancy? I see you get a 1.1% cap change by end of year 1, then it's more than doubled by end of year 3 at 8.25%, Am I correct to assume not many vacancies to turn in year 1?
I see your 10-year IRR target is 14%+, What did you underwrite as the holding period on this deal for exit?
How aggressive are you on the remodel of the Unit turns? I didn't see what the current occupancy rate is, Will you get to do any substantial turns early on due to any vacancy? I see you get a 1.1% cap change by end of year 1, then it's more than doubled by end of year 3 at 8.25%, Am I correct to assume not many vacancies to turn in year 1?
I see your 10-year IRR target is 14%+, What did you underwrite as the holding period on this deal for exit?
The building is 100% occupied, with the exception of 1 unit which is down and the 1st on the reno list. This is what you get in a very strong market like Phoenix - even the most poorly managed and run-down buildings are basically at full occupancy due to very strong market fundamentals. This is why we need such extraordinary value-add otherwise the deal doesn't work.
Having said this, this submarket is running about 2.5% vacancy. We underwrote 6% stabilized physical vacancy. The fact that the building is operating 0% vacancy tells you that the rents are too low even in as-is condition. We will immediately establish a "classic" rent that is much higher than the existing blended rate, thusly creating enough vacancy to gain possession of units to remodel.
The holding period is a moving target and depends on market conditions. Preferred is 3-5 years. Although, we may test the market sooner, or stay in the deal longer depending on the market. The reason we underwrite 10 years is not that we want to be there for that long, but because we are operating in a seasoned cycle and we think it's important for investors to understand what things may look like if we do end up needing to stay in for longer than 5 years.
South Mountain is a really great area with a bright future ahead. Before our deal i was looking for some SF or small MF in this area as i work in Tempe and this area looks promosing with all the new A class development going on and when Ben and Sam mentioned about this deal i was very positive as i already knew this area. Overall Phoenix is very bullish, that what made me move here last year and already being partner on your two deals, future looks bright.
Thanks again for putting this deal together and all the stress Ben went thru and Sam laughed thru :P.
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
Just received this message (edited but you get the point):
"Hi Ben,
Just saw your post on the new complex you guys just got. That’s amazing! I live in Glendale. I know a new Chick-fil-A just opened in the South Mountain area and they wouldn’t do that if Chick-fil-A didn’t know that it was a good area..."
There's that, an LA Fitness, Target, Walmart, and all kinds of Class A infrastructure. This, ladies and gents, is what the path of progress looks like :)
I thought you only purchased $30,000 properties!?!?
Congratulations! And, great to finally meet you last week!
HAHA I tried to give this more than one up-vote, but it didn't work.
Yes, $30,000 pigs are my forte, but once in a while venture out :)
I enjoyed meeting you as well, Scott. Quite enjoyed the conversation. Agree and support your ideas for BP, and admire the direction you're taking this company. Love the fact that you are a fellow viola player - it explains so much, dude!
Question: I heard it snowed in Phoenix, AZ. Does your underwriting account for such adverse weather conditions?
Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.
Question: I heard it snowed in Phoenix, AZ. Does your underwriting account for such adverse weather conditions?
Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.
This is a very interesting comment. Let us explore:
First, don't believe everything you hear. There hasn't been any snow in Phoenix. And secondly, yes, we brought in some capital to ensure that we are equipped to handle such an event...:)