117-Unit Value-add in Phoenix Closed Today

104 Replies

Ladies and Gents,

We don't do too many deals, but when @Sam Grooms and I do a deal, it's something special.

Today we closed on 117-unit in Phoenix's South Mountain neighborhood. The complex is named South Mountain Square. 

Some Details:

• Purchase Price:  $10.75M
  • Reno Budget:  $1.5M
  • Per sq.ft. Blended Price:  $140/sq.ft.
  • Financing: 70% LTV on the PP and 100% LTV on the Reno
  • Equity Raise:  $4.5M
  • Unit Mix: Essentially 50/50 of 1x1 and 2x2
  • Value-Add: $300 per door +
  • Going-in Cap Rate on T12: 4.1%
  • Cap Rate projected by end of Y1:  5.2%
  • Cap Rate projected by Y3:  8.25%
  • 5-year target IRR: 17%+
  • 10-year target IRR: 14%+
  • In-place LTL to reno Bump Ratio:  About 65/35

I want to thank our many partners in this deal. I am very bullish on this acquisition. We will do very well at South Mountain Square.

Feel free to reach out if anyone has questions.

To give you an idea of how conservative we underwrite, even with the $300 increase in rents: 

We met with the new manager at the property this morning, and she says our post-renovation rents need to go up another $50 on the 1x1s. We knew that going in, but it provides an additional $700K of upside to help us outperform. 

Don't be too aggressive with your underwriting; give yourself some cushion. 

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :

Hey, @Sam Grooms, I got a Like from @Brian Burke on this post!

God forbid he should say anything nice to me when we saw each other last weekend in CA at @J. Martin   's event. It was like he'd never seen me before... but at least I got a Like. 

Maybe he'll give you his phone number one day. (I'm just kidding, Brian. I don't wish that on you)

@Sam Grooms oh I know better!!!  BTW, congrats on your deal!!  I'm so happy for you! 

Did you do this deal with @Ben Leybovich ?  LOL  

You know all day Saturday I only gave Ben a hard time at half my normal rate...you have no idea how hard that was...

In all seriousness, though, that's a nice looking property, guys!  Congrats!

Ladies and Gents,

We don't do too many deals, but when @Sam Grooms and I do a deal, it's something special.

Today we closed on 117-unit in Phoenix's South Mountain neighborhood. The complex is named South Mountain Square. 

Some Details:

I want to thank our many partners in this deal. I am very bullish on this acquisition. We will do very well at South Mountain Square.

Ben you are 🔥🔥🔥

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :

Isn't South Mountain a pretty rough area?

And this is our competitive advantage in Phoenix. If you go a mile West, yes, it's a rougher area. However, this property is half a mile from brand new class A retail. Surrounded by homes priced well above the metro average. 

In the last two years, this area has been completely transformed. After looking at the property for the first time, Ben and I had lunch one light down. The area felt like we were in Chandler or Gilbert. 

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

Ladies and Gents,

Some Details:

Ben you are 🔥🔥🔥

Thank you, James!

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :

Isn't South Mountain a pretty rough area?

Anthony, all of us need to have an unfair advantage. Yes, 5 years ago this wasn't a great area. Today, the city is deploying major capital behind the Baseline Corridor. Lots of Class A "Starbucks" infrastructure has and continuing to come in. There are two gated communities, one next door and one across the street, with housing starting in the $250,000 and going north of $600,000, which for Phoenix is serious. 

But, if you're not here, you wouldn't know, thusly defining our competitive advantage. We are here and we focus on Phoenix.

Instantly pictured that meme of the Dos Equis guy. We now have our own most interesting man on BP lol Congrats, guys!

How is your other deal coming along, btw?

@Sam Grooms I tried to buy a triplex in that area a few months ago for the same reasons. I'm a new investor and you guys just made me feel really intelligent for attempting that purchase. Haven't seen anything else we liked down there, but will keep looking with increased confidence now. Only a few miles from a crazy tempe market too.

@Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms really nice deal you put together gents!

I'm bullish on South Phoenix as well after I helped a client buy an investment just up the road from you at 24th and Southern. It really has some nice areas that will surprise people that haven't explored down there after writing off "South Phoenix" for so many years. It's a truly massive area that is ripe for new infill and development!

Hey guys,

Congrats! What sort of rehabs are you going to do with that  $1.5M? 

- How many units are you going to be upgrading? 

- What sorts of finishes are you going to be putting into the units? 

-  Do you see an equal amount of upside in increasing income as you do in lowering expenses? 

Thanks! 

Brendan

Originally posted by @Victor S. :
Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

Instantly pictured that meme of the Dos Equis guy. We now have our own most interesting man on BP lol Congrats, guys!

How is your other deal coming along, btw?

Thanks! Canyon 35 is going according to plan. 

Originally posted by @Travis Kemper :

@Sam Grooms I tried to buy a triplex in that area a few months ago for the same reasons. I'm a new investor and you guys just made me feel really intelligent for attempting that purchase. Haven't seen anything else we liked down there, but will keep looking with increased confidence now. Only a few miles from a crazy tempe market too.

Yes, you are very close to Tempe. Keep looking!

Originally posted by @John Casmon :

Congrats on the deal @Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms.

What was the year of construction?

John, this was built in 1986. Mid-80es is our focus in Phoenix for several reasons.

Good question.

Originally posted by @Ryan Swan :

@Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms really nice deal you put together gents!

I'm bullish on South Phoenix as well after I helped a client buy an investment just up the road from you at 24th and Southern. It really has some nice areas that will surprise people that haven't explored down there after writing off "South Phoenix" for so many years. It's a truly massive area that is ripe for new infill and development!

Absolutely, Ryan. And the thing is - this late in the cycle you have to look into the future, specifically growth. 

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Brendan M. :

Hey guys,

Congrats! What sort of rehabs are you going to do with that  $1.5M? 

- How many units are you going to be upgrading? 

- What sorts of finishes are you going to be putting into the units? 

-  Do you see an equal amount of upside in increasing income as you do in lowering expenses? 

Thanks! 

Brendan

Brendan,

Our scope on this is about $7500 per unit on the interior, and the rest on the common areas. On the interior, we do cabinets, quartz/granite tops, underhung sinks, flooring, paint, fixtures.

The business plan calls for remodeling all units.

The last comment is interesting. We are actually underwriting higher expenses by a good clip than the seller. Their expenses are not sustainable. This is why we need that $300 per door bump, some of which is to compensate for higher operating costs.

Does this help?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here