Painting question

Painting question

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes

So I am rehabbing some of my units in my apartment building.

I am using 5 gallon off white for cost flat to get them painted using a sprayer.

The painter mentioned that for the bathroom and the kitchen to use a semi-gloss.The reason being in the bathroom the semi-gloss instead of the flat paint won't absorb moisture into the wall.With the kitchen the walls would be easier to clean for grease etc.

I guess it made sense to me since I remember from my cars if the paint was flat anything that stuck was really hard to get off but if you had the gloss coating nothing got in and was easy to get off.

I can still get semi-gloss 5 gallon for cheap.

Just getting input form the paint experts.He is starting tomorrow.I am getting a smoking deal at 70 bucks labor per unit to paint 1,200 sq ft.He doesn't have any work right now and needs the money and is a professional contractor painter.

He says he can clear one a day.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Chuck B.Pro Member
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
14y

I'm not a pro painter by any means, but I use satin or egg shell on all the walls. Flat seems to get dirty too quickly. (Maybe I should move up to semi-gloss, as was mentioned above)

Also, I use Zinser primer on ceilings. It covers better than ceiling paint and covers any problems at the same time, though it does have a bit of a sheen/gloss to it.

Also, I've started painting all of our units a very, very pale yellow/linen color (the wife picked it out and everyone that sees it loves it) and the trim all gets hi-gloss white enamel. I think it makes the rentals look so much better than having a flat/white palette on everything.

Best,
- C

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Let me get this straight... he's only charging $70 per 1,200 sq. ft. unit for labor? And he can do one unit a day? He's basically working for $70/day, i.e., minimum wage. Wow, that is cheap. Unless he's somehow making it up by overcharging you for paint and materials.

    BTW, except for my best units, I use semi-gloss or satin sheen on all the walls.

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    14y

    He's more or less right. Semi gloss is easier to clean provided the paint quality isn't crap to begin with. Until recently, we used to go with gloss (oil base) in the kitchens and baths as that held up better over time and is easiest to clean.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks guys.

    Yes he is painting for 75 a unit.I am buying materials.He is section 8 and just moved from one of my 2 bed 2 bath apartment units to a 3 bed 2 bath home with a yard.

    He wanted a garage to house his tools and do work.So he is motivated to do work and get cash for the new house he is moving into.

    Good tenant just needed more space.Even painted and carpet shampooed his unit and cleaned everything.

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    14y

    I'm not a pro painter by any means, but I use satin or egg shell on all the walls. Flat seems to get dirty too quickly. (Maybe I should move up to semi-gloss, as was mentioned above)

    Also, I use Zinser primer on ceilings. It covers better than ceiling paint and covers any problems at the same time, though it does have a bit of a sheen/gloss to it.

    Also, I've started painting all of our units a very, very pale yellow/linen color (the wife picked it out and everyone that sees it loves it) and the trim all gets hi-gloss white enamel. I think it makes the rentals look so much better than having a flat/white palette on everything.

    Best,
    - C

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    It has been a while since I was a landlord (30years. But, I used semigloss throughout the apartments. Easier to clean cooking grease and la cocarache eggs off of the walls.
    Wow!! I was paying $350 for 650 sqft to 900 ft plus any damage repair.
    Don

  • Professional · Altoona, PA · Member since 2010 · 72 posts · 23 votes
    14y

    I use the same off white satin on all my units. I paint the trim, walls, ceiling all the same. This is much easier and quicker, with no cutting in trim, ceilings, etc., thus it keeps the cost down. I even paint the kitchen and bathrooms using the satin and it seems to hold up well. I like the consistency of using the same paint, makes it easier when I am touching up walls for the next tenant. For accent I may add some colored window blinds.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    14y

    A few years ago I started using "designer" colors (satin). I only use two in each property (The same two always) and I have the code/recipe for touch up. People are wowed and very happy to not have the traditional white. I think it rents the places faster and to better tenants. JMO.

    Anyway, I always go semi-gloss in baths and kitchens. Washing the grease,etc is very easy.

  • Realtor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2008 · 55 posts · 10 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Cheryl C.:
    A few years ago I started using "designer" colors (satin). I only use two in each property (The same two always) and I have the code/recipe for touch up.

    What colors do you use? Pictures?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.