Expensive house that I can’t afford to get into

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

@Kevin Marcucio pass and find a cheaper investment is the best option

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 147 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Marcucio if this is owner occupied you can do a DPA (downpayment assistance program) 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Marcucio  So it's expensive and you will be able to afford the payments, insurance, maintenance of the house but can't afford the downpayment?  Maybe pass on this one until you can save up for at least a 3% downpayment?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin Marcucio pass and find a cheaper investment is the best option

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    there really isnt' enough information here 

    What are you intentions of it? Does it make money? What are the numbers? How far away from the deal are you? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Teaneck, NJ · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 291 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Marcucio ask if seller will do seller finance. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery county, NY · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    there really isnt' enough information here 

    What are you intentions of it? Does it make money? What are the numbers? How far away from the deal are you? 

    It’s a really nice two family house in a great area.  It would make a good cash flow or it could be my new house hack.  But I would kinda be going into this on a shoe string. But everything is in turnkey higher end condition  and was built in 2015  so I would just have to worry about getting it rented which it is a very desirable area so I could house hack or use for monthly cash flow.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery county, NY · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    there really isnt' enough information here 

    What are you intentions of it? Does it make money? What are the numbers? How far away from the deal are you? 

     It’s listed at 415000 but the zestimate says 430000.  I could come up with about 4000 cash.   I’m pretty far away from the deal.   I bought a house in 2006 right  before the market crashed.   I paid 90000 and owe  about 71000 but now the house is only worth about 75000  ever since been to scared to follow my dreams of becoming an investor out of fear of making The same mistake  the home loan insurance and taxes should be about 2,600ish. the bigger apartment should rent between 1800-2300 and the smaller apartment should rent for about 1100-1700.  I’m probably crazy for even thinking about it

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Marcucio:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    there really isnt' enough information here 

    What are you intentions of it? Does it make money? What are the numbers? How far away from the deal are you? 

     It’s listed at 415000 but the zestimate says 430000.  I could come up with about 4000 cash.   I’m pretty far away from the deal.   I bought a house in 2006 right  before the market crashed.   I paid 90000 and owe  about 71000 but now the house is only worth about 75000  ever since been to scared to follow my dreams of becoming an investor out of fear of making The same mistake  the home loan insurance and taxes should be about 2,600ish. the bigger apartment should rent between 1800-2300 and the smaller apartment should rent for about 1100-1700.  I’m probably crazy for even thinking about it

    Yeah I say run as fast as you possibly can from this deal.

    you want to pay 415,000 for a house at the top of the market (just like you did in 2006) 

    You aren't confident in the income (1800-2300 is a ~20% swing, 1700-1100 is a 35% swing!)

    it will negative cash flow

    you'll have no equity (negative equity after transnational costs considered) 

    and you'll have no cash for risk mitigation

    you are correct, it's crazy to even consider this deal

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Save up for a down payment and additional reserve. You dont want to be one eviction or capital expense away from bankruptcy

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery county, NY · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    thanks for all the feed back.  i will be focusing for smaller and better deals moving forward.  

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 909 posts · 297 votes
    7y

    dont make this complicated.. if you ran all your numbers and you cant afford it even with OPM then work harder and find a deal that needs no money out of pocket or find money partners

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Marcucio:

    Found a house but it’s expensive and I have no down payment.   What options do I have 

     Stack cash man. You've got to be patient in this game. Stack cash unit you are ready to invest, trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat is a waste of your time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.