Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
I have a 5-plex that has been for sale since late May and I've gotten very little interest in it. Am I being too optimistic that it would sell in a couple of months or is there something I'm not seeing? The cap rate is average for the area (5.5%). Any and all points of view would be appreciated.
Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
7y
I have also never understood why brokers put below market rents like it is a positive. If the rents could be easily raised with no improvements why haven't they?
Rental Property Investor · Denver · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 121 votes
7y
Hi Brad,
Is 5.5 the cap rate for properties that small?
5 units is basically the worst possible number for an investment property. It doesn't qualify for conventional financing, it's too small for Freddie Mac's small balance program ($1MM+), and it's fairly low yield for a cash investor as well. A typical buyer will have to go to a bank and at least in my markets the rate on a 5 yr balloon note is ~5.25% which a 5.5 cap would be too low of debt service coverage for a bank to lend on.
Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
7y
I have also never understood why brokers put below market rents like it is a positive. If the rents could be easily raised with no improvements why haven't they?
Flipper/Rehabber · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 43 votes
7y
Brad, there are tons of 5-8 unit properties that I would love to buy, but I am forced to ignore them. Like Jim said, this is because 1) I cannot get conventional financing for them, 2) they are too small to get a commercial loan, and 3) I can't afford and wouldn't want to buy them with cash. I agree with Russell. If you could make it technically a 4-unit, you would have a better chance of selling.
Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Price. It's a 5 unit, not a 100 unit. It is not sold on the cap cap rate. Your building and every other building will sell based on price. Also, what is the average days on market for 5-10 unit properties?
Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
7y
Thanks @Todd Dexheimer. When I search the MLS for sold 5-plexes the cap rates are anywhere from 3%-6% and it takes anywhere from a month to a year to be sold.
Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
7y
I just look at 5-25 unit buildings and this one doesn’t pencil out as a investment. Too expensive for the price, cap rates mean nothing when it comes to getting a loan. The DCSR would be way too low.
So your buyer pool is a cash buyer. That’s it. So when someone stumbles upon your property and wants to make a 5% rent on their money they will call you. You need to market to overseas investors.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
7y
@Brad Hammond a couple things jumped out at me looking at the photos. The bright blue doors are ugly in my opinion. A darker grey would be more tasteful.
It looks like the units have had some updates in floors, paint, counter tops and bathrooms which is all good. What stuck out to me was the low grade appliances. White stoves with no window are the cheapest possible stove you can buy. It just comes off bad, given the 55% premium over two years ago. You could buy black appliances or even stainless and it would cost you under $5K to update the other four units.
I am not saying people buy only on appearance, but it does create an impression of the property and how it has been updated/cared for.
Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
7y
@Brad Hammond
If your intent was to sell you may have worked against yourself by adding the 5th unit. The Buyer pool for fourplex would stand to be much bigger as it can be financed with conventional. Commercial financing would require low LTV on that cap rate as the dscr is low.
Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
7y
@Russell Brazil I second this. If he converts one of the units into a ADU, then it would leave the option to market this as an owner-occupied building with a "landlord's unit," with a linked ADU perfect for STRs such as AIRBNB.
Like everyone else had mentioned, it's definitely your price. Doesn't help that there are not really any comps for the past year around that particular area. Some triplexes sold to the West, but not sure how comparable that area is.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y
Stop talking about cap rates and justifying value with it . Look Your marketing to investors bro ...and we are all investors on here ... and we all agree your price is just too high so what are you going to do about it and what will you do in two months when your still sitting on it ?
@Brad Hammond a couple things jumped out at me looking at the photos. The bright blue doors are ugly in my opinion. A darker grey would be more tasteful.
It looks like the units have had some updates in floors, paint, counter tops and bathrooms which is all good. What stuck out to me was the low grade appliances. White stoves with no window are the cheapest possible stove you can buy. It just comes off bad, given the 55% premium over two years ago. You could buy black appliances or even stainless and it would cost you under $5K to update the other four units.
I am not saying people buy only on appearance, but it does create an impression of the property and how it has been updated/cared for.
I personally like the blue doors. I just think the price is completely nuts.