California Rent Control

California Rent Control

Real Estate Agent · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 518 posts · 283 votes

Does anyone know if I have to pay the relocation costs (1 months rent) if I issue 60 day notices after the end of this month or do I just need to issue the 60 day notices before the end of the year? I am working on a value add apartment deal and need to give notices to all the tenants to renovate and it won’t close until December. If it’s after October I’ll have to go back and negotiate 300,000 off of the price.

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Storm S. It is my understanding that the eviction rules change on Jan 1 2020 so right now you have until the end of the this month to give 60 day notices that will expire prior to Jan 1 2020. You would not need to pay relocation assistance and would not need a just cause to evict tenants. After this month, since 60 day notices would expire after Jan 1 2020, the new rules kick in and you will need a just cause to evict, or qualify for one of the no fault just cause evictions stated in the rent control bill. It sounds like the one you may be looking at is the "substantial renovation" clause. First you'd want to determine if the substantial renovation you plan to do qualifies as a substantial renovation under AB 1482 and if so yes you would have to pay those tenants you evict relocation assistance. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.