Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
Reached a major milestone after nearly a year and a half....converted my construction loan to permanent financing!!! On 5/31/18 we closed on a 20 unit property that was 100% vacant and in need of lots of love! We added washer/dryer connections to all units and ductless min split heat pumps. Full stainless kitchen appliances including above range microwave. Textured all walls, painted all brown woodwork, new flooring, all new plumbing fixtures and toilets, bathtubs as needed, water heaters as needed....we did a lot!!! For a first time project i'd say we learned a lot and although the project took twice as long to complete as we planned, it's still a huge success! We are currently 85% occupied and 95% leased and expect to be 100% before end of year! This form definitely helped me get through some rough patches either by reading through others posts or posting my own questions. Now I'm asking myself what's next, lol! I'm hooked
Rental Property Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 17 posts 路 10 votes
6y
@Tab Teehee congratulations on Knocking out your 1st mutifamily! I'm looking to get into small mutifamily myself. What would you say was the top lessons learned in the process? How did you structure the deal?
Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
6y
@Byron Wilson
I wish I had some creative top secret financing scheme to share but it wasn't anything to complex....I approached a local bank that was familiar with the property about my interest in purchasing it, rehabbing it and professionally managing it.
I found a professional management company that helped me prepare a pro-forma for the bank, next was to determine what repairs and improvements were needed to bring the property to a condition to command max rents. Then I put together estimates for materials and labor to make it happen. All this information was provided to the bank and the appraiser, which was how we arrived at the ARV. The bank took my purchase price plus proposed improvements and offered me a 12 month interest only construction/purchase loan. I had to put about 100k into the deal. Now we have long term financing in place and some good cash flow!
Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
6y
@Byron Wilson
Lessons learned...
Focus on getting individual units complete and rented asap instead of working on multiple units at a time.
When contractors aren't performing up to task or dragging their feet, stop the bleeding right away and get them out of there!
The cheapest bids can end up costing you in the long run...hiring a professional GC would have cost me more up front, but I could having stated renting units months sooner.
Focus on getting individual units complete and rented asap instead of working on multiple units at a time.
When contractors aren't performing up to task or dragging their feet, stop the bleeding right away and get them out of there!
The cheapest bids can end up costing you in the long run...hiring a professional GC would have cost me more up front, but I could having stated renting units months sooner.
Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
6y
another lesson learned...be sure you understand the permits that your municipality will require and budget accordingly....in my case I needed a permit for electrical, mechanical (hvac), and plumbing at $75 each times 20, or $4,500, and that didn't include final inspection fees!
Investor 路 Boise, ID 路 Member since 2016 路 42 posts 路 19 votes
6y
@Tab Teehee -- WOW!! Great job on such a big project / milestone. Any chance you could share some numbers with your BP tribe? Was it a syndication? Did you put sweat equity into it? What kind of team did you have? Thanks in advance and again, congratulations 馃榿
another lesson learned...be sure you understand the permits that your municipality will require and budget accordingly....in my case I needed a permit for electrical, mechanical (hvac), and plumbing at $75 each times 20, or $4,500, and that didn't include final inspection fees!
Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
6y
@John Culotta
This deal wasn't too difficult to put together....purchase price $375,000...rehab budget $425,000...$100,000 down payment, $700,000 loan, first a construction loan at 6% interest only, and now a P&I 20 year am 10 year term at 4.25%. No syndication, just my own cash from the sale of some single family rentals and a butt load of sweat equity!!!! I actually fired all the guys that were working out there, back in march, and finished the last building with just my wife and I and a local hourly handyman.
Rental Property Investor 路 Lake Suzy, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 216 votes
6y
@Shane Dempsey
Thanks! Yes....the next deal....there's about 30 acres that surround this property that I'd like to develop into condos and senior living....no clue where to start and pockets not deep enough, lol!!!!
Rental Property Investor 路 Cambridge, MA 路 Member since 2016 路 634 posts 路 415 votes
6y
@Tab Teehee Great job and thanks for sharing the pictures. Nice looking units post rehab, and love properties that have the old school appliances and that nasty old school carpet. Scares most people off, and can really transform the properties with a little bit of work.
Rental Property Investor 路 Medford, NJ 路 Member since 2015 路 8 posts 路 8 votes
6y
@Tab Teehee Thanks for sharing your experiences, the good and the bad. My wife and I are turning around a 21 unit MHP and it can be very frustrating. Your stories definitely help me keep my sanity as I fly to Indiana to keep on top of things. Super happy for you and your wife. Congrats! Thanks again for sharing.