Quick Method to dismiss or look into rental property

Quick Method to dismiss or look into rental property

Real Estate Consultant · NH · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes

I am looking for input on methods being used to quickly qualify or disqualify properties. Spending a lot of time running numbers and wanted input from the community on what key metrics are being used to evaluate a property quickly so it either gets a deeper dive or it is scratched from the list.  

3Reply
174 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

Some use the 1% Rule.  Goes like this:

Property must have monthly rent of at least 1% of the "all in" cost (purchase price + closing costs + rehab + holding costs).  Example: If it rents for $500, spend no more than $50,000.

I use the 2% Rule.  $30,000 "all in" rents for $600.

Most houses that do not meet at least the 1% Rule will not cash flow positive unless you pay cash or have a sizable down payment.  It's a quick-n-dirty method, and there are others.

See this reply in the discussion

98 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Santa Ana CA [South Coast Metro] · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 202 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dwayne Phillips:

    Michael can send me the analyzer to my inbox as well...Thanks

    Newbie investor, looking at a townhouse (A rated) for rental in a excellent neighborhood with A-Rated schools...168K, 2BR, 3BA, however don’t think the rents will follow the 1% guideline more like 0.75....So thinking more about appreciation in 7-10 yrs....Thoughts from the BP community?

    You should post this as a separate post

    Look at end of this post for my comments on condos

  • Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I'm a newbie to the site - and only read the last couple of posts on this thread, but i'm looking for help in understanding the numbers! I'm eager to jump into the rental investment arena, but i really want to master how to analyze the big picture. My question is on CAP rate. Based on the example used on the napkin on this blog https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/2013-01-19-real-estate-math - how did they come up with the Annual Net number of $9,168?  I thought annual net is monthly net x 12? The numbers here dont match.  Can someone help explain?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Lisa Maldonado, plenty of holes in that article. The way the author puts debt service in and out of her calculation is confusing (and why the numbers don't match, as you mention). One glaring error is that there is no accounting for Capital Expenditures, which are a very important part of analyzing any property.

  • Sri PopuriPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bethel, CT · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    Hello Jaysen-

    Do you have any investing experience in Fairfield county Danbury/Bethel area !

    I am looking to find buy and hold rentals in this market.

  • Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you @Jaysen Medhurst - i feel better now!  Any blogs on this site that you would recommend for this?  I'm already registered for next Wednesday's webinar! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Next Wednesday's webinar should be all you need to get out of the gate, @Lisa Maldonado. I highly recommend setting up your own analysis spreadsheet from scratch. Then just analyze a few hundred deals!

    Feel free to reach out by PM, if you have any questions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Hi, @Sri Popuri, I keep an eye on the Danbury market, but am no expert. My area of focus is SE CT.

  • Sri PopuriPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bethel, CT · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    Thanks for your response!

    What is the best way to analyze a deal in CT market.

    Is 1% rule good enough to have positive cash flow for rental properties?

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tony Wallis:

    I am looking for input on methods being used to quickly qualify or disqualify properties. Spending a lot of time running numbers and wanted input from the community on what key metrics are being used to evaluate a property quickly so it either gets a deeper dive or it is scratched from the list.  

     What helps me is to know what you are looking for in the first place.  Then you can immediately start ruling things that don't fit out.  Example, if you are looking for apartment buildings 100+ units built after 1970, you can immediately rule out deals that are too small and too old which don't fit your criteria.  

  • PE · Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    Could you send the deal analyzer to my inbox? Thank you

  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Amit Bajpai @Michael Ealy me too please!! Thank you so much

  • Real Estate Agent · Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy Hi Michael. Can you forward me your calculator? Thank you!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    So many people need this and I think you should make a whole post about it!

    I would like to have it as well.

    Much appreciated Michael

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    Hey Michael, I just got to BP and I could really use the tool you use to analyze deals. Let me know if it's possible. Thank you

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    Hey Michael,

    I really like your spreadsheet. Did you develop that?

    Would you be willing to share it?

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    Having an optimized, powerful and easy to use spreadsheet is probably the best tool you can get to quickly analyse rental properties online and offline. I’ve been using mine for years and I’ve reviewed countless deals and made better decisions because of it

    I’m obviously biased but overall spreadsheets still remain the best way to understand in detail if a property can be a home run or is an overpriced asset.

    Let me know if I can help!

  • Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mohammed Alali:

    @Michael Ealy

    So many people need this and I think you should make a whole post about it!

    I would like to have it as well.

    Much appreciated Michael

     OK Mohammed...I just might. I am sending the analyzer to you...

  • Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steven Cobb:

    @Michael Ealy

    Hey Michael,

    I really like your spreadsheet. Did you develop that?

    Would you be willing to share it?

     Steven,

    Yes - with the help of one of staff members who is really good with Excel

    And Yes - I am sending it to you...

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    I also need it. Thanks

  • Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    RIP @Michael Ealy ‘s inbox

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Micheal Ealy

    Can you send me the link also. Thank you!

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    It literally says "get this analyzer for free at (link)" on the screenshot. 

  • Investor · NYC · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    Hi Michael, thank you for sharing and can you please send me the analyzer as well. Thanks in advance.

  • Banker · New Castle, DE · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy

    I would personally appreciate this analyzer myself.

  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ealy please send to my inbox as well. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.