YOUR BUYING CRITERIA PROTECTS YOU FROM RISK

YOUR BUYING CRITERIA PROTECTS YOU FROM RISK

Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 901 votes

As a refresher from yesterday's blog post, my buying criteria for my first apartment deal are:


1. B or C neighborhood in indianapolis

2. built between 1960-2000

3. 85% occupied (minmum)

4. 8-20 units

5. 50% of units should be at least 2 bedroom units

6. 4-7% cap

7. 12% roi (I'll go to 10%) and 15-20% irr

8. in certain college towns I want no more than 10% student tenants

9. no crime areas

10. pay $30-60k per unit. No big ticket items to be replaced.

These criterias are designed to help the investor mitigate risk. Most beginners already know not to buy in D neighborhoods because the crime, drama, and headaches outweigh the imaginary returns on paper. 

However, there are also other criterias that should not be overlooked.

For example, I am looking for properties that are built between 1960-2000 that do not need any big ticket repairs (furnace, boiler, water heater, HVAC, roof) to be replaced. By doing these items we can hopefully manage rehab cost better.

I want at least 85% occupancy not only for financing purposes, but also the stability of a property limits risk.

If the property is in a college town I want the student tenants to be less than 10% of occupancy. Universities scare me. I am a firm believer that we are moving towards a online class  country in the future. Colleges will be obsolete soon.

Lastly, I learned something new from @Sterling White this week. You want at least 50% of the units in your complex to be 2 bedrooms. 2 bedrooms attract tenants with families. Your renter pool will not be limited. Also, as an entrepreneur you always have to think about the exit strategy. You should avoid buying apartments that are all studios and 1 bedrooms  because you will have a harder time selling it when the time comes!

Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

$30-60K a unit is problematic in this market unless it's a full gut rehab.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    $30-60K a unit is problematic in this market unless it's a full gut rehab.

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    6y

    I think he's laying out for his market. Good criteria for him! :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    OK, that helps, but as a broker, I'm going to be asking you:

    1) How much down do you have?

    2) Have you talked to a bank or mort broker?

    3) What's your price target and is it realistic based on what you can borrow and what the market has?

    See if you can find a comm broker in your area once you get your resume together.  It'd save you a lot of time/effort.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason Malabute, I agree that having a dialed in approach is key to success.  If you chase every deal because it might make sense on paper, you will a) be underwriting a lot more deals than necessary and b) opening up a lot of unnecessary risk for your investors.  

    I do believe it is a fine balance of having your absolute and your negotiable items, i.e. cities, submarkets and size may be set in stone, and the price per unit might vary, with your ideal range being 30-60k, but the 75k units could still be a good deal worth pursuing.  

    I was hearing on an interview it all comes down to creating your road map.  If you don't have a map, you will get lost on your trip, but with your map, even if you take a detour you can find your way back on track.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Malabute:

    As a refresher from yesterday's blog post, my buying criteria for my first apartment deal are:


    Lastly, I learned something new from @Sterling White this week. You want at least 50% of the units in your complex to be 2 bedrooms. 2 bedrooms attract tenants with families. Your renter pool will not be limited. Also, as an entrepreneur you always have to think about the exit strategy. You should avoid buying apartments that are all studios and 1 bedrooms  because you will have a harder time selling it when the time comes!

    Jason, are you talking about SFR or MF? If you're talking about SFR, I would have to disagree. 2 bedrooms do not attract families.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.