Stackable washer/dryer vs side by side for new construction

Stackable washer/dryer vs side by side for new construction

Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes

We are getting closer to finalizing floorplans for new construction multi-family.  We will be putting washer/dryers in our two bedroom units.  Our current plan is to use standard side by side washer/dryers based on advice from our appliance vendor.  However, on much of the new construction multifamily in our area I'm seeing stackable washer/dryer units and even some of the combination units, where one unit is both the washer and the dryer.

We are considering the stackable units because space is at a premium and it would allow about 30" wide of storage that tenants could use.  I feel the combination units are too new and expensive for our market.

I would like to hear opinions of other multi-family property owners on which solution is best (stackable vs side-by-side) and the reasons why.

Mike  

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 13 votes
5y

I always try to build side by side if I'm building to rent (and hold long term). Repairs are less expensive, it's also less expensive to replace just the washer or dryer, rather than buy a whole new stackable if just the washer or dryer breaks beyond repair. 

Stackables make the closet area more difficult to access. I've seen people build a panel on the side of a stackable closet just to be able to get in to reattach the dryer vent, or fish out errant clothing, etc. 

The all-in-one combination units I've had success with on 1 bedroom remodels, but they allow a smaller load per cycle, and take a long time to go through a whole wash/dry cycle. I think they would not be appropriate for larger units with more washing/drying done.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    5y

    @Mike Smith  On my new construction duplexes, I prefer side by sides, but due to space constraints, I usually make a small closest for a stackable setup.  Until recently, I would buy separate front loading washer and dryers, and the stacking kit to allow them to stack in the closet.  But on my last build, I purchased the stacked laundry center units as the price for the separate washer and dryers was just too high compared to the stacked laundry center.  

    I will say that I dont by the super cheap washer and dryers, which could save you money.  My budget for washer/dryer is $900-1100 per set/laundry center.

    Personally, if you already have room for the wide closet (side by side) in your floor plans, I would leave them.  I usually dont, and only can fit a laundry closet 33" W x 42" D for stacked units in my floor plans.

    I try to avoid laundry centers, as they are hard to fix and if one section goes, you have to replace the whole thing (say the washer breaks, but the dryer is fine).

  • Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    most of the time I plumb for stackable unless new builds allow me space for side by side ..even then I have high enough ceilings to allow stackable. HOWEVER, even in my $1.3M new build I just did last year I do not buy the units. I find that the buyer has their preferences and they buy their own. 

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    5y

    @Marilyn Savage When you say buyer, are you building the multi-family to sell to individual buyers (condo), or do you mean buyer of an entire building/complex of buildings?

  • Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    I am mostly referring to the individual buyer of my individual houses or my multifamily condos. 

  • Developer · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    I always try to build side by side if I'm building to rent (and hold long term). Repairs are less expensive, it's also less expensive to replace just the washer or dryer, rather than buy a whole new stackable if just the washer or dryer breaks beyond repair. 

    Stackables make the closet area more difficult to access. I've seen people build a panel on the side of a stackable closet just to be able to get in to reattach the dryer vent, or fish out errant clothing, etc. 

    The all-in-one combination units I've had success with on 1 bedroom remodels, but they allow a smaller load per cycle, and take a long time to go through a whole wash/dry cycle. I think they would not be appropriate for larger units with more washing/drying done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.