How to Find Out if Home Can Be Converted to Triplex/Quad

How to Find Out if Home Can Be Converted to Triplex/Quad

Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes

Hi all,

My husband and I have a contract on a multi-family home in Baltimore that was advertised as a triplex. When we toured the home, in addition to three apartments, we were happy to find a two-bedroom basement that could be renovated into a fourth apartment. I would like to know:

1) How do we find out if the home is legally-zoned as a triplex

2) How do we go about learning if it can be legally zoned as a Quad? 

Thank you for your advice in advance!

3Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Tim JacobPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
5y

To confirm the # of legal units.  I would call or email the city rental registration department.  They should be able to tell you.  Keep in mind many times they will make you fire sprinkle the unit added and maybe the whole building.  That is an expensive process.  You can probably meet with them to give you an idea prior to starting.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    call the building dept and look it up in the assessors database.. if you cnt get thru to building assessors office can tell you what they pay taxes on..won't be able to tell you if you can go larger

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    5y

    You need to call zoning dept. baltimore city 410 396 4126

    Adding a fourth one will require a lot of work, drawings, application, going to board etc..., they are not going to tell you if you can or not at the first phone call, they might tell you what is the requirement for it, then you need to apply.

    you need to look at your lot, what is required etc... 

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    5y

    To confirm the # of legal units.  I would call or email the city rental registration department.  They should be able to tell you.  Keep in mind many times they will make you fire sprinkle the unit added and maybe the whole building.  That is an expensive process.  You can probably meet with them to give you an idea prior to starting.

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Well, I'm so new to posting in the forum that I can't figure out how to respond to each of you individually :/ Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will definitely contact the Baltimore City Zoning  and City Rental Registration Departments. Thank you, all!

  • Member since 2020 · 121 posts · 135 votes
    5y

    @Kennesha VanBurch In case you still wanted to know: you can either click on people's profile to message them directly, or you can use the "@" symbol to tag someone (like I've done with you). Sometimes you have to wait a few seconds for the suggestions to populate.

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Kennesha VanBurch Did you buy the property on 29th street in Remington? Near papermoon diner? Just curious because I saw it on the market for a while and noticed it just went under contract and it seems to fit the description you're talking about.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Kennesha VanBurch I have found the easiest and quickest is to look on a parcel map and see what the zoning is for that property. Typically it will say how many units per acre.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 253 posts · 178 votes
    5y

    @Kennesha VanBurch Whatever information you find out, ensure that you get it in writing in Baltimore City. Don't take someone's word for it. In Baltimore City, inspectors and people that work at the permit office will tell you one thing, and then it's really another...

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Seth Hochberg thank you! One less thing to learn how to do here :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Ian Checketts thanks so much! Ok,  it definitely looks like the home is zoned for up to three units (7500 square foot lot), which lines up with what the city shares when I called. This is a helpful step to add to the to-do template I’m working on. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil I haven’t gotten anything in writing yet, so I will call back tomorrow. I’ve been told that I need to submit an application because legally the home can’t go up to a quad without permission from the Zoning Board. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Gayle Melnick No, although that address sounds familiar to one I recall On our MLS listing, we definitely didn't see it in person or take it on.

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Tim Jacob @Ozzy Sirimsi Just wanted to say thank you, again, since I know how to tag now. I’ve taken your advice and the others and I definitely need to apply and it definitely sounds like a process, but we’re going to go for it. The numbers are so much better with a fourth unit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.