Active investment vs. Passive Investment: Side by Side Comparison

Active investment vs. Passive Investment: Side by Side Comparison

Rick MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes

I, like many, started out in single-family and small multifamily rentals. I enjoyed it, put a lot of sweat equity into it, and did pretty well over the years. I got wind of larger multifamily and thought it seemed more scalable, so I looked into buying smaller apartments and then got involved in syndication. It took a while to break into syndication, and as I grew impatient, I decided why not invest passively into syndications and earn while I learn. The projected return looked good for it being a passive investment and compared favorably when I considered that I didn’t have to do anything. The loss of control was strange, I will admit. When you look at the final numbers side by side, you can see they are very similar. What the numbers don’t tell you is, in our rentals, we had our a/c units stolen twice, and a tenant whom we had to evict threatened my partner’s life. I partnered on these two rentals in Palm Desert, California, so cash flow was okay, but appreciation was good.

All deals are different. Of course, you can do better or worse than the deals below, but I thought it was a fair comparison. They were all-cash deals. Next, I would like to take a 4 unit that I BRRR'd and compare it to an apartment syndication, where there is a return of capital in year three. Both scenarios return your capital, so you have much less money in the deal.

---

Palm Desert Rentals 4-yr hold

Total Proceeds (cash flow and sales proceeds): $166,804 

Total Costs: $88,725

Profit $78,079

• 88% total return

    • 1.88 Equity multiple

    • 22% Average Annual Return

    ---

    DFW Syndication 5-yr hold

    Total Proceeds (profit plus return of equity): $209,560

    Total Costs (minimum investment) $100,000

    Profit $109,560

    • 110% Total Return

      • 2.1% Equity Multiple

      • 21.9% Average Annual Return

      18Reply
      195 views

      Most Popular Reply

      Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      5y

      @Rick Martin Very interesting post. Like you, I also started with rentals and then gravitated towards more passive investing (private lending). I still have my rentals though and foresee doing both (at least for a while) because they each have their pros and cons. 

      The rentals are definitely more active and honestly can sometimes be a headache, but I get so many benefits (e.g. cash flow, appreciation, tax benefits, etc). 

      With the private lending, you basically just have the monthly cash flow (interest payments) for a benefit, but I like how extremely passive it is. 

      I’m curious...your average annual returns are nearly identical between the two different scenarios, but the rental scenario obviously requires much more work/time/headache to obtain those returns. So do you see yourself possibly gravitating more towards passive investing (like syndication) in the future? Or continuing to do a mix of both?

      See this reply in the discussion

      36 Replies

      Jump to latestLatest
      • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
        Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        5y
        Originally posted by @Jay Sheth:

        @Ian Ippolito which crowdfunding and syndication do you use and recommend

        I'm a very picky investor. I look at over 100 offerings a month but at the end of the year I will only pull the trigger on four or five in total. And, I'm also a conservative investor. So for example, I want my real estate sponsors to have full estate cycle experience with little to no money lost (and sponsors without that are a dealbreaker for me).

        So, while I look at all of the crowdfunding offerings (CrowdStreet, ArborCrowd etc have the most listings and to me are the most productive to look at) 95%+ of these don't pass even my basic criteria. I'm not saying that this means they are bad investments. Something that's not a fit for me may be perfect for someone was is more aggressive, has a different risk tolerance, is coming from a different financial situation, and/or has different financial goals etc. But, almost always these aren't a fit for me.

        The most experienced sponsors with great track records have typically developed a strong, in-house investor following over the years. So they generally aren't on a crowdfunding site. Many of these are also setup as old-school 506B offerings, so they are not allowed to publicly solicit. That means you have to find out about them through a referral which means talking to other investors, being a member of an investment club, networking, etc.. If you want more details on the ones I like myself, private message me, and I'll send you more info.

        The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
        View Page
      • Rick MartinPro Member
        OP
        Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
        5y

        @Tony Kim the numbers I posted compare an actual active rental scenario to an actual passive investment as a limited partner. It shows that the returns can be similar. Being an actual syndicator or co-sponsor - that is another career in it of itself for sure.

      • Rick MartinPro Member
        OP
        Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
        5y

        @Jay Sheth. I don't do much crowdfunding. I invested in both "peerstreet" and "Groundfloor," which are not syndication based. I earned 7.6% and 8.1% respectively. How I choose which syndications to invest in an open ended question with a massive answer. If you want to chat about it, reach out via direct message and I can try to make as simple as possible. You always want to take a deep look at the team, the market, and then the deal itself, but like I say, drop me a message and I can give you some ideas.

      • Wale LawalBusiness Member
        Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
        5y

        It all depends on individual goals. Also there a lot of benefits for those that owns Real Estate.

      • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
        5y

        @Rick Martin, this is a great comparison.  Thank you for sharing.  It is also an exercise I went through about a year ago, when I decided it was time to sell off the single family rentals and move passive.  

        As you mentioned, you had 2 A/Cs stolen.  While that is hopefully a rare occurrence that most will never see, it is something you need to have reserves for.  So when I see deal analysis posts of budgeting 5% repairs and maintenance reserves, it makes me squirm.  

        The lack of control is an adjustment, but the lack of constant worry is NICE.  

        Lastly, on these forums, there is a lot of enthusiasm to get into real estate, which is great.  But what I failed to grasp, and many others seem to miss too, is: Real estate, either passive or active, is only an investment if you work at it.  What you are really investing in is building your own company.  It is an investment company, but you still need to be actively involved, or you will be squandering your capital.

        A friend of mine, who has seen great financial success in his career, put it to me once: "It is amazing how passive investments still require a lot of work."  If you are not ACTIVELY in control of your financial house, you will not have much success, regardless of the path you choose to grow your finances.

      • Rick MartinPro Member
        OP
        Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
        5y

        That is a great point @Evan Polaski. It never hurts to have a spreadsheet to track your investments, and just like with any investment, one should always perform their own due diligence.

      • Rick MartinPro Member
        OP
        Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
        5y

        @Wale Lawal very true. If people own enough real estate, they may be able to log enough hours to qualify as a real estate professional.

      • Paul MoorePro Member
        Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        5y

        @Rick Martin. I am so grateful to you for posting this. As someone who has done both, I heartily agree with your conclusions. I only invest passively now, and I never plan to actively manage real estate again (even though I know how).  

        To all who asked about finding the right syndicator, I recommend you read on evaluating syndicators. Very helpful. And @Ian Ippolito, who responded above, has a great forum for accredited investors called .  

      • Rick MartinPro Member
        OP
        Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
        5y

        Glad you can relate @Paul Moore!

      • Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 17 votes
        5y

        Thank you @Rick Martin for the unbiased and helpful breakdown.  As an accredited investor who has looked hard at a number of syndications, sponsors, and attended several events in the space I would like to briefly argue the counterpoint which represents my investment strategy.   I think there is a some considerable blue ocean in the 15-80 unit space for investors who function as operators and are willing to embrace the pain of being quite active.  

        The difficulty, for me, in the comparison is that both investments were sold.  I understand that there are exceptions to the rule, but syndications have an exit.  The vast majority of these exits are sales.  You do not get to impact the time or details of the exit.  The laments of the $200/month cashflow are short sighted in that the cashflow is compressed by your debt service which will, with the aide of your residents, expire.  Then cashflow is to the moon, but your return on equity has to be examined.  Harvest the equity and compress the cashflow according to your desire at the time, but wherever you decide to move that slider the considerable difference is that you maintain the asset.

         If you can function in that 15-80 unit niche, can successfully reposition yourself, refinance into agency debt, and then hold... In my humble opinion, that is the promised land.  As @Steve Rozenberg wisely pointed out, there are many roads to Rome, but if there’s anyone else out there discouraged while negotiating truck pricing on your flooring for your 20 unit, take heart in the fact that you are not alone!

      • Steve RozenbergPro Member
        Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        5y

        Not sure how I got brought into this one :-) but thanks @Steve Shaffer. I agree that everyone is right and wrong at the same time. The only way that works is your way. Mine is correct for me but quite possibly wrong for you. Depending on our different goals and different strategies to reach those goal. That goal is broken down into time frames, cycles, frequencies, volume of revenue, return expected, exit strategy etc... There are so many different variables there is no way it is possible to say one works and one does not. I know very experienced sophisticated investor friends that own over 500 properties. I can assure you they are passive in their role.

        Coming from owning a Prop Mgt company that managed over 1,000 properties I can tell you first hand EVERYONE has a different way of looking at their investments. Some I have learned what do to do and other the exact opposite.

        Figure out your own end goal and work towards that by defining what strategy works for you, your timeline, your exit, your family is my advice.. Not that anyone was asking :-) 

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.