Finding Motivated Apartment Sellers

Finding Motivated Apartment Sellers

Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes

I was listening to a real estate podcast the other day, and they mentioned a method of finding potential "motivated" apartment sellers that I hadn't heard of before;

The guy said to buy a list of people that bought their multi-family property 10 years or more ago.

That makes sense, but I have two questions about that approach:

1. How do I figure out how far back to go? 20 years? 30?

2. Is there a way to figure out if the people still own the property or not? I'd hate to spend money on a campaign, only to find out that 80% of the people on the list don't own the property any more.

I guess I could run a check on each property in the list against local tax records, but that would take forever, depending on how big the list is.

Just wanted to get some insight from you guys on this one. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

1Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Alvin Grier

Use listsource

and these filters:

1 - Last sale dale 1/1/1900 to 7/15/2003
2 - Property type use the detailed property types radio button and then pick all that apply for multi family.

The list will be extremely accurate from an ownership standpoint however you may want to run it through the NCOA system for mailing addresses

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Alvin Grier

    Use listsource

    and these filters:

    1 - Last sale dale 1/1/1900 to 7/15/2003
    2 - Property type use the detailed property types radio button and then pick all that apply for multi family.

    The list will be extremely accurate from an ownership standpoint however you may want to run it through the NCOA system for mailing addresses

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 156 votes
    13y

    I've heard the same thing several times. I always wonder if anyone has had success with this on a larger property, say 50+ doors?
    I would assume most owners are fairly sophisticated sellers and would not sell without making their desire to sell public.
    Hope I'm not hijacking your post! Seems like its on topic...

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y

    Thank you Michael!

    My remaining question, is that if I pulled up a record from say, 1943, would I really want to send mail to that one?

    Your search parameters would potentially bring back such a record, wouldn't it?

  • Investor · Stockton, CA · Member since 2013 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    Good morning.
    What is the NCOA system?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tom Lafferty:
    I've heard the same thing several times. I always wonder if anyone has had success with this on a larger property, say 50+ doors?
    I would assume most owners are fairly sophisticated sellers and would not sell without making their desire to sell public.
    Hope I'm not hijacking your post! Seems like its on topic...

    Good point.

    I think the strategy is to get in touch with people who may be frustrated or tired of the property whom haven't previously been motivated enough to go about listing their property with an agent.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
    Alvin Grier

    you may want to run it through the NCOA system for mailing addresses

    I just visited http://www.ncoadirect.com/ and it says that you can validate 10,000 records for free. Is that real, or is there a catch?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    You'll have to use a company registered with the post office who can access the platform.

    Also you may find that the idea is more of one to find owners who have used up the depreciation on the asset.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
    Alvin Grier

    Use listsource

    and these filters:

    1 - Last sale dale 1/1/1900 to 7/15/2003
    2 - Property type use the detailed property types radio button and then pick all that apply for multi family.

    Isn't it possible that a lot of the results in that search might be owners that no longer own the property?

    EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the criteria is "LAST Market Sale Date", so it should only return with the latest owner for that property.

  • Real Estate Investor · Garland, TX · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Alvin Grier:
    Originally posted by Tom Lafferty:
    I've heard the same thing several times. I always wonder if anyone has had success with this on a larger property, say 50+ doors?
    I would assume most owners are fairly sophisticated sellers and would not sell without making their desire to sell public.
    Hope I'm not hijacking your post! Seems like its on topic...

    Good point.

    I think the strategy is to get in touch with people who may be frustrated or tired of the property whom haven't previously been motivated enough to go about listing their property with an agent.

    Through wholesaling a lot of times I find that people who are so frustrated and tired of their run down property may not even have the motivation to find an agent to list it for them. They may think their property is not marketable. Or they may have had an agent tell them "Well you need to paint these walls and put in this or that AND THEN I can list your property at a reasonable price". I've always had the best results finding properties that ARE NOT FOR SALE, are in distress and the owner is so frustrated and tired of this property. All of this leads to a VERY MOTIVATED SELLER which are the only kind of sellers I like doing business with. :)

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
    You'll have to use a company registered with the post office who can access the platform.

    How would I go about finding such a company? Is it possible to simply pay a NCOA provider to run checks on the addresses I get from Listsource?

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    13y

    Michael, I called your company, but I was told my list was too small for you guys to be able to help me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Its not us its the Post Office. They require a minimum number of records.

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Carbondale, CO · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 7 votes
    12y
    Alvin Grier did you execute this campaign? If so, how were the results?
  • Commercial Landlord · Macon, GA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Another way to get the list is to get the entire property list from the county tax assessors office. Get the entire tax digest on one CD. Don't let them tell you that they cant give it to you because they can and its public record. Being government workers they will likely try to run you off instead of giving you the data but be persistent.

    Get it in Excel format. You can do a field search for purchase dates of whenever you want. You can also do a search for owners in your state. Delete these and all else will be out of town owners.

    Its a bit of work but much cheaper than buying lists.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Thomas Morgan:
    Alvin Grier did you execute this campaign? If so, how were the results?

    Yep. We had some great feedback from potential sellers, and some pretty decent leads. About a 4% response rate.

    We decided to go back and make our residential real estate system a little better before we go back to dealing with the apartments.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Bill Ham:
    Another way to get the list is to get the entire property list from the county tax assessors office. Get the entire tax digest on one CD. Don't let them tell you that they cant give it to you because they can and its public record. Being government workers they will likely try to run you off instead of giving you the data but be persistent.

    Get it in Excel format. You can do a field search for purchase dates of whenever you want. You can also do a search for owners in your state. Delete these and all else will be out of town owners.

    Its a bit of work but much cheaper than buying lists.

    I might try that in the suburbs, but I don't even want to waste my time trying to do that in the City of Detroit.

    Working with them can be so frustrating, that I try to avoid dealing with them unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Tom Lafferty:
    I would assume most owners are fairly sophisticated sellers and would not sell without making their desire to sell public.

    Tom,

    I agree that as the property grows larger, so does the sophistication of the Vendor. However, I disagree that most would not sell without making their desire to sell public. Around here, larger properties are typically sold before the fact they are for sale becomes public.

  • Commercial Landlord · Macon, GA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    I agree with @Roy N.

    You might be surprised how many sellers will sell directly without taking a property to market. The best commercial deals are usually done behind closed doors.

    Even if a property is listed with an agent they will still call their list of buyer before publicly listing it to see if they can get a quick sale. Hot deals don't sit on the market long.

    My friend has closed over 1000 units last year from a single seller in private sales. Its not easy to contact sellers directly and to build a relationship but if you can...it may only take one!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 566 posts · 274 votes
    12y

    I'm currently planning a multi-family campaign for 50 units+ in Cincinnati and ran across this thread. I've done it in the past in a different city with some decent results. The list isn't that large in most cities in the 50+ unit mark but it allows you to spend more money on each mailing to increase your response rate. I used ListSource.com in the past however was thinking of signing up for Loopnet's Platinum service as they now provide unlisted pre-foreclosures and REO's. Has anyone had any experience with this?

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    With access to the MLS is it possible to do the same search as what you suggested on listsource @michael q. ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    We have found that simply hitting the streets and networking has led to purchasing multifamily properties. Many deals are found by simply putting in the hard work of meeting people, networking, and putting on your walking shoes:)

    On another note, anyone here involved in Arizona Multifamily or commercial investing?

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 37 votes
    12y
    Ben For stie Hey Ben, I'm a investor here in Arizona.
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 37 votes
    12y
    Ben Forstie
  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    @Chris Winterhalter How was your experience with Loopnet platinum service for multi-unit pre-foreclosure and REO's? I am trying to figure out what is the best avenue for marketing for Multi-unit complexes. Any feedback and advice is appreciated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.