How I Found My First 2 Deals as GP and Lessons Learned

How I Found My First 2 Deals as GP and Lessons Learned

Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes

Like many reading on here, I began the 2021 calendar year with great ambition; I wanted to close 2+ Multi-family deals as a GP of 50+ units each. Most importantly, I wanted to establish my brand and reputation in the industry, and moving into a couple of deals I felt would be a huge step in the right direction. Coupled with the launch of my podcast, these deals would give me the credibility boost I'd been dreaming of.

I began the year with a ton of action, including the following highlights:

  • Joining a mastermind group and hired a coach
  • Read nearly every multi-family book I could get my hands on
  • Attended several Multi-family oriented conferences (3 to date, a couple more booked for the year)
  • Networked at every chance including connections on bigger pockets, local meetup groups, mastermind connections, and linked in connections where it seemed mutually beneficial
  • Started a podcast which officially launched in March (now recording our 20th episode this week!)
  • Selected my primary market(s) and made a "field" trip to the Tampa, FL areas to get to know the sub markets and meet with brokers
  • Began underwriting 5+ properties weekly - originally on my own, but now do this with a few partners

With all the force and momentum created with the actions above, it didn't take too long before I made a few connections that "clicked." Through a connection made in a conference in January, I found I was able to add value to a deal in GA (94 unit value add, C Class property) by helping with the due diligence activities and bringing investors to the deal. With my 20+ years in corporate, I was able to bring structure to the offering including building a webinar and helping coordinate lending and closing activities. Helping with the project really helped to launch my identify and brand as an investor.

What were the main lessons learned as part of this 94-unit deal?

Firstly, several of the GPs in the deal were/are highly experienced investors with very busy day to day activities and many deals in parallel to this one. Getting alignment on early decisions and engagement with the lender took quite some time to get established - ultimately this led to some delays in closing. Some of these hang-ups were outside of our control, but If I had to do it over again….I would build a comprehensive plan immediately after we enter the due diligence phase that's visible to all partners (including lender, property manager, and attorneys on both sides) with each key activity with an assigned owner and deadline for each. This structure and visibility would have really helped us push aggressively for decisions and tackling administrative activities swiftly. Not to mention this organization would have drastically reduced stress for all parties! Adding a quick 15 minute weekly touchpoint for the whole team would've been awesome as well and something I will for sure work into each deal moving forward.

Secondly, initially we engaged with one attorney to handle both the securities work and sale agreement and transactional activities. When it came time to start working on revisions for the PPM (private placement memorandum), these changes took much longer than we anticipated (due to availability of the attorney) and we ultimately had to go elsewhere to get this done and start from scratch with a new securities attorney engaged. This late in the project this was not ideal but under the timeline we were operating under this added quite a bit of stress but we did ultimately get it done! Lesson learned here is start working on your investor documents immediately after you've completed the bulk of the due diligence activities including financial reviews and physical inspections.

Finally, if you have investors using Self-directed IRA funds, factor in at least 1-2 weeks (another trust custodian told us to count on 3 weeks!) for processing and cleanup of any documentation needed. Naturally, these transfers can take a bit longer than cash accounts from a typical bank which can be wired in a matter of hours.

All of this considered, the next deal will be smoother, faster, and less stressful for everyone! The really great news is that the visibility of this project help me land a hand in another multi-family project (43 unit in Greenville, SC) which is set to close very soon. Like they say in professional (American) football, MOMENTUM is the key to sustaining a win. You also know what they saw about the "law of the first deal"…..

I hope all of you enjoyed my short story and if this has helped at least one aspiring GP on their journey, I feel like I accomplished my intentions with this article.

With 2 deals now behind me, I suppose it's time to revise my goals for the year. Here's to crushing the remainder of 2021!!

Andrew

20Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
5y

@Andrew Schutsky This is amazing stuff! Congrats on all of the success you are having. 

I am following in your shoes. I have met with brokers in person, joined mastermind groups, and am working on launching my podcast. I also have a few events I will be attending this year. 

Thanks for sharing this. This was really helpful to me and I'm sure many others. 

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Andrew Schutsky congratulations, what a great story and thanks for sharing with everyone your process, good and bad. Let’s get one in Tampa/St Pete soon. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    This is a wonderful article! Thank you for sharing! I am in a similar spot, working my way up from SF investments to MF. I just joined a mastermind/yearly syndication course and have been networking well and starting to underwrite our first deals of this size now! I am in Indianapolis, I added you on fb, and will pm. Maybe we can help each other!  

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    Love seeing the progress! Keep up the great work and keep inspiring!!

  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    great job! It's difficult but not impossible to be involved into a multifamily syndication!

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Schutsky This is amazing stuff! Congrats on all of the success you are having. 

    I am following in your shoes. I have met with brokers in person, joined mastermind groups, and am working on launching my podcast. I also have a few events I will be attending this year. 

    Thanks for sharing this. This was really helpful to me and I'm sure many others. 

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    @Tim Vitale Takes a lot of time and persistence that's for sure!

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Congrats !!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you doing real estate full time or had a W2 as well? 

    Kamlesh

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kim Meredith Hampton:

    @Andrew Schutsky congratulations, what a great story and thanks for sharing with everyone your process, good and bad. Let’s get one in Tampa/St Pete soon. 

    Thans Kim! And yes, would love to do a deal in FL next! Also, I miss being in Tampa! Hope you're doing great.  

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chase Eckelbarger:

    This is a wonderful article! Thank you for sharing! I am in a similar spot, working my way up from SF investments to MF. I just joined a mastermind/yearly syndication course and have been networking well and starting to underwrite our first deals of this size now! I am in Indianapolis, I added you on fb, and will pm. Maybe we can help each other!  

    Glad you enjoyed! You're on the right journey, happy to help you wherever I can as well.

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Donis:

    Love seeing the progress! Keep up the great work and keep inspiring!!

    Thank you! 

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Goodin:

    @Andrew Schutsky This is amazing stuff! Congrats on all of the success you are having. 

    I am following in your shoes. I have met with brokers in person, joined mastermind groups, and am working on launching my podcast. I also have a few events I will be attending this year. 

    Thanks for sharing this. This was really helpful to me and I'm sure many others. 

    Hi Justin! Glad you're enjoying, like I mentioned above if it's helpful to only a few others it was well worth writing.  Sounds like you're on the right track as well! Keep pushing, you're already crushing social media (you're much better at this than I am) and doing really well at getting your name out there. 

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kamlesh Kukreja:

    Congrats !!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you doing real estate full time or had a W2 as well? 

    Kamlesh

    Thank you and you're very welcome.  Good question - I definitely should have mentioned this in the article....I do work a very demanding W2, actually just got notice that I'm being promoted last week! On top of this I'm a dad to 2 young (great) kids..goes to show hard work does pay off with a lot of persistence.  I'd be lying if I said my stress level was low over the past couple of months, LOL.  

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Amazing!!! Kudos to you for juggling everything. Reward yourself my man 👏🏻👏🏻

  • Rental Property Investor · Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 337 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Schutsky:
    Originally posted by @Kamlesh Kukreja:

    Congrats !!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you doing real estate full time or had a W2 as well? 

    Kamlesh

    Thank you and you're very welcome.  Good question - I definitely should have mentioned this in the article....I do work a very demanding W2, actually just got notice that I'm being promoted last week! On top of this I'm a dad to 2 young (great) kids..goes to show hard work does pay off with a lot of persistence.  I'd be lying if I said my stress level was low over the past couple of months, LOL.  

    First of all, congratulations on your success! Truly inspirational. After reading your story, I feel I'm making more excuses than trying hard enough. It's definitely a reality check for me. Thank you for sharing your story. It inspired me to more, A LOT MORE, than what I'm already doing. If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned a mastermind group, is this the same as a mentorship/coaching program? If so, which program would you recommend? I'm currently in the US Army. There's no predictability with the schedule.

    I'm looking to doing what you're doing. I want to get into Syndication or even to JV to start just to understand how the process. Any advice is appreciated. I honestly need the help. Thank you!

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing the story. Congratulations. As I was reading, I definitely chuckled a bit as we had similar "learning" experiences getting started. From the team communication, attorney delays to the SDIRA discussions :) 

    100% agree with the checkpoints or weekly calls with the team. These are crucial. I think you've touched on an important point here. Running a syndication is a business and you have the responsibility to deliver a good product to limited partners. It's important to take that very seriously. Build the systems to run the business and run it like a business. 

    Personally, I highly recommend the EOS methodology from the book Traction if you are looking to build some structure on the idea. Weekly Meeting Pulses are one of the driving points of success from that book. 

    Congrats again!

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Fajardo:
    Originally posted by @Andrew Schutsky:
    Originally posted by @Kamlesh Kukreja:

    Congrats !!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you doing real estate full time or had a W2 as well? 

    Kamlesh

    Thank you and you're very welcome.  Good question - I definitely should have mentioned this in the article....I do work a very demanding W2, actually just got notice that I'm being promoted last week! On top of this I'm a dad to 2 young (great) kids..goes to show hard work does pay off with a lot of persistence.  I'd be lying if I said my stress level was low over the past couple of months, LOL.  

    First of all, congratulations on your success! Truly inspirational. After reading your story, I feel I'm making more excuses than trying hard enough. It's definitely a reality check for me. Thank you for sharing your story. It inspired me to more, A LOT MORE, than what I'm already doing. If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned a mastermind group, is this the same as a mentorship/coaching program? If so, which program would you recommend? I'm currently in the US Army. There's no predictability with the schedule.

    I'm looking to doing what you're doing. I want to get into Syndication or even to JV to start just to understand how the process. Any advice is appreciated. I honestly need the help. Thank you!

    Thank you! Very glad you've found it helpful. Happy to discuss coaching mentoring, I'm currently working with @Todd Dexheimer and would certainly recommend.  

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris Levarek:

    Thanks for sharing the story. Congratulations. As I was reading, I definitely chuckled a bit as we had similar "learning" experiences getting started. From the team communication, attorney delays to the SDIRA discussions :) 

    100% agree with the checkpoints or weekly calls with the team. These are crucial. I think you've touched on an important point here. Running a syndication is a business and you have the responsibility to deliver a good product to limited partners. It's important to take that very seriously. Build the systems to run the business and run it like a business. 

    Personally, I highly recommend the EOS methodology from the book Traction if you are looking to build some structure on the idea. Weekly Meeting Pulses are one of the driving points of success from that book. 

    Congrats again!

    Thanks for your input and especially the recommendation - will have to check that out as I haven't come across that one yet.  I'm always up for book suggestions as well :) 

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    4y

    7 months later adding to the pile of lessons learned - hope some can find some additional value here!

    -If you want to get started quickly, focus on doing ONE thing well and go hard in that direction.  This is especially true if you're in a situation like mine where you're balancing a W2, perhaps a family life, and perhaps some hobbies as well.  :) This could be finding deals through brokers / off market, raising money, asset management, etc.  Don't try to do it all - this will only delay your progress.

    -Time spent networking with other investors is time WELL invested.  I've managed to partner up with 2 other investors where we're dividing and conquering and have broken into a new market, establishing rapport with brokers and PMs very quickly.  This wouldn't have been possible alone! 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 97 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    Congrats @Andrew Schutsky on a successful 2021! It's very inspiring to hear your story and the challenges that you've faced. How has joining a mastermind group, networking at local events, and conferences contributed to your massive success this year in real estate? Also, what are some of the live in person conferences that you have attended this year that has helped you on your journey?

    Nathan 

  • Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Nathan McIntire:

    Congrats @Andrew Schutsky on a successful 2021! It's very inspiring to hear your story and the challenges that you've faced. How has joining a mastermind group, networking at local events, and conferences contributed to your massive success this year in real estate? Also, what are some of the live in person conferences that you have attended this year that has helped you on your journey?

    Nathan 

    Thanks Nathan! By far the two biggest contributors to launching my RE business have been through non-stop education and networking.  Both the mastermind groups and meet up events (both in person and virtual) were absolutely critical.  I attended the MFIN and Rod Khleif conferences this year as well as some local Philadelphia meet up events.  I look forward to continuing and actually accelerating in these areas again in 2022.  Happy New Year! 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 97 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Andrew Schutsky those are both great conferences to attend! Happy New Years 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.