Buying two Duplexs next door to each other mortgage ?'s

Buying two Duplexs next door to each other mortgage ?'s

Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone,

I currently have 3 units in Philadelphia, a duplex and a SFH. all are rented to students, SFH recently purchased but after rent increase and a few fixes it should be worth closer to 220K with mortgage around 135K the duplex is closer to 70% ltv worth about 450K. I am in the process of selling a lot in philly and my last property in northern delaware.

I am looking at two properties in the area that are owned by the same person. two 5 year old duplexes with gross rents around $4,500/ month each. he doesn't want to deal with them since he has another income stream from his own company. I have used his company and he is swamped. He recently has asked someone I know about property management, had mentioned selling them earlier this year to me. He just doesn't want to deal with them. But he is making money so he's not in a rush to dump them.

I was wondering if anyone had ever had any luck doing a blanket mortgage on two properties next to each other from the same seller, combined would sell for about 680-700K. The reason I was looking into this as he would give me a better price if I buy both of his units at once. I will have enough to do 1 unit and go through all the hoops of a normal financing that I have dealt with. 25% down on multi, 6 month reserves, ect.

I was looking into the option of commercial financing and if that would allow me to have him carry a few % maybe let me do 20% on both or less. I will have enough to do 20% down on both but not much else. I have a partner/friend that I have worked with before that will lend me the 50K more I would need to do the closing costs, reserves, misc fees.

From my short dealings with commercial lenders they are less concerned with how the money makes it to the table, ie the 50K would be less of an issue with commercial loans then conventional. Has anyone recently had any luck with doing some creative financing with commercial and owner held second? I would love to do both. as they are rented and I know the area in depth. I have done very well with the units I have and the area is all college rentals.

There is a few months before I would be needing to move on these. I know I will be contacting tons and tons of mortgage companies, brokers and banks. just wanted to know if this was feasible or this was completely out of possibility.

Thanks for any ideas,

Ben

0Reply
33 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    13y

    Id talk to some smaller local banks. This should be pretty straightforward for a bank that lends for their own portfolio.

    You could also see if the seller will sell them on land contract with a small down payment and then refi with a local bank in 3-5 years after you've seen some equity buildup through amortization. Could be beneficial tax-wise for him as well.

    I currently own 2 sets of duplexes built on adjoining lots and am closing on another set next week. I use the buy on land contract/refi later approach. Im planning on refinancing all 7 of my duplexes and 2 single-family homes I have on contract now into a single commercial loan in the next 18-24 months.

    Small banks can be so much more flexible than the cookie cutter programs.

    Good luck and post some updates as it all unfolds.

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Brandon,

    Thanks for the response. Glad this is not a crazy idea. The deal is actually rather good on price. I bought my first duplex up there from the same builder who did his. The owner of these was my lawyer in the transaction and on all my real estate transactions since.

    I don't know if he will go for the land contract idea but I know he doesn't want to deal with them anymore. I think I could make a play for him holding a bit of the paper on them if it lets him get out of them both. He is extremely busy and successful in his practice so it's not worth the hourly to deal with and there are not too many good property managers up there, actually none that I found unless you have enough properties to hire full time staff yourself.

    once a few more things line up I will broach the subject with him more. I am just waiting to close on my lot I am selling and rehab just finished on another property to sell to free up the capital.

    I am sure if I can make it painless and simple for him that will make it much likely. This is one of those if it's painless it'll play. Even if he could get some more for them if he pushed really hard.

    Would you work by approaching the local bank first, show them my portfolio and history so as to lay the groundwork? or Getting some basic contract set then going ahead and speaking with them?

    My thoughts are start finding banks in Philly that hold their own paper and seeing what they are looking for. Then once I get closer I can hash out specifics and move forward with one bank to contract.

    Sorry if some of this sounds very beginner-ish. I know I will have to do my own research to find the bank and build a relationship just have not gone with commercial funding before. But I guess any bank that hold's it's own paper would be able to give the loan possibly as a blanket or possibly using some pledged second on my other properties.

    Thanks again,

    Ben

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    13y

    What is the current financing on the property, can you do a sub-2, master lease or seller finance?

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    13y

    Don't sell the idea short of him selling on land contract. The fact that he is an attorney and has already worked with you gives you an advantage. I almost bought a duplex from my attorney last year....it turned out I just didn't like the property though. If he is making lots of cash from his practice the tax benefits may help him. Could be a win-win.

    I would try to go that route first. Then start looking for a good local banker. Land contracts can be intimidating for the 1st timer on both sides of the deal. I make my payments directly to the seller's bank account and have my account use the deposit tickets to track the amortization table. I've done a bunch and will probably always pitch that route even when I get to the point where I can do the 20-25% down.

  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    13y

    Ben,

    Just a quick answer, Yes, you can get a blanket mortgage on investment properties. They do not have to be adjacent. As you have identified, a commercial loan will require 20-25% down. Some lenders will allow a seller to carry a second.

    Darrin

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Great thanks guys. I am looking into some smaller lenders now. would rather do a single loan for those but if I need to do a blanket for all my properties that is an option also. Pretty much whatever can get this deal done, with the right terms.

    Brandon,

    I am open to the idea of the land contract and will float that to him. I have been making offers with owner carries on a few lots I am under contract with one right now with owner carrying 65% for 18 months so the buyer can do zoning and build. I have a partner that picks up pretty much anything I can find in temple if the numbers work. Loves when I get him owner carries in there for a year.

    I guess I will have to mention the tax benefits to him. since he will only be paying on the proceeds of the sale as he receives them. I will just have to do a lot more reading on the subject honestly.

    So thanks everyone.

    Ben

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.