My New Construction Journal From Start To Finish

My New Construction Journal From Start To Finish

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes

Hello fellow investors!  I began a post a few months ago in regards to a new construction project I will be starting soon and after all the great input I thought it would be nice to start a journal in order to help new investors who plan to start new construction projects for their first time.  Here's the down low in a nut shell.

I am building two SFH in Northern Liberties, this is a very sought out neighborhood in the city of Philadelphia. Minutes away from downtown and all major highways. Each home will be as follows: I bought the lots for 720k in total

1. On 2400sqft lots

2. 5800 sqft houses

3, 4 stories , garage parking, roof deck, elevator, and skyline views

Attached are the 3d Renderings of what I plan to build

Last week a home 4500 sqft just sold for 2.1 million dollars in one day. So thats the market as of now and I am told that pre-selling these within a month of breaking ground is very realistic and that I could get as much as 2.3 million per house. We shall see!

Here's how I started. As I am new to the new construction game I hired a consultant to guide me on my journey .  I interviewed 3 builders and 5 luxury real estate agents and their team.  I was told to not use my usually agent as when doing luxury at this level, you want someone who specialized in selling high priced homes.  Someone who has the clientele , know how, and team to get it done.

So I interviewed builders and got budgets from all three. One builder said he could do it for 180 sqft another quoted me at 225 a sqft.  When I compared their budgets I began to feel a bit worried since thats a large discrepancy between the two.  During my interviewing process, I visited projects these builders have done and are doing to get a feel and look at the quality of work they produce.  Both builders have experience in luxury home and the one I am going with just finished a 16 unit project in the heart of covid, which is one of the main reasons I chose him. He will know supply issues and how to circumvent them (ordering wolf appliances the day I break ground because he knows they are a year out, Anderson windows, same deal, etc etc). But back to the budget discrepancy .  The builder I chose has it at 1 million per house and the other is closer to 1.2....That said I am going to build in a contingency and put money aside just incase.

I am using hard money which makes this very risky, but I sold 3 of my 9 duplex's so that I could have a cash reserve of 400k to make sure I do not run into money issues.  I also have a buyer lines up, who is willing to buy the land with permitted plans for 1.2 million which would give me a profit of 500k without doing anything. I lined up buyers as another contingency/ exit plan, incase the lending doesn't work out, or some unforeseen issue , where I need to unload the lots.  So as backup I have some built in exit strategies.

Onto the steps I have had to take :

1. I had to first subdivide the lot from 4 1200 sqft lots into 2 2400 sqft lots

2. I hired an architect to build out the plans, submit zoning permits, do a structural survey of the land, and ultimate after getting zoning approved we just submitted the building plans.  This is a process in itself.  You want to make sure your architect knows the zoning laws in the area you are building, this is very important because, if my architects did not have the knowledge, I could have run into problems where zoning would not approve and I would need to wait months just to get variances IF I could even get them. So make sure your architect knows their zoning!  As a matter of fact, my guys knew their zoning but they assumed I knew it too...The original plan was to build 4 homes on 4 1200 sqft lots, and the architect went along with this (assuming I knew I would need a variance since it did not meet the 1400sqft per lot requirement) BUT I DID NOT KNOW....this set me back another month because I had to pivot.  It turns out it worked out for the better because with my original plan, I would not be able to get garages (which is a huge selling point in the city) After finding all this out, I had it subdivided for a second time into two 2400 sqft lots and looked up zoning laws where I saw that if I put a 5ft side yard on each side, it will be considered a detached home and not a row, which would allow for built in garage by right.  This pivot ended up working out because instead of having to wait another 6-8 months for a variance to sell 4 homes at 800k each, I am now able to build two larger homes for just about the same price but am able to sell each for 2.2 to 2.5 million , so I went from a gross profit of 3.2 million to a gross profit of around 4.4 million with a lower building cost. 4 homes would have been approx 650k each to build for a total of 2.6 million where as two larger homes cost 1 million each to build, maybe 1.2 million, either way it ends up being less to build but almost close to the same amount of profit.

a. the architect gave me schematics of the build

b. we went over them in stages and made tweaks here and there until I was satisfied with the final schematic

2A) Got general liability insurance and preparing to get builders risk, but not paying for it until the building permit is approved

3. While all the was happening, once I got the preliminary plans I gave them to my builder so he could price it all out. I learned that builders or yourself have to give the plans to a supply house and they run whats called "take offs" on all the line items and give you estimated prices of what everything will cost (Wood for framing, windows, siding, and the list goes on)

4. After this was done my builder had a budget which my hard money lender wanted and I needed so I know how much I will need to get a loan for in order to build these homes.  After careful consideration, since hard money is expensive and risky, I decided to build one house fully and one "under roof" which means exactly how it sounds, build just until the roof is on so outside elements cant get in.  The plan is to pre-sell one then have the lender release the rest of the money needed to finsih the 2nd house

5. Now we are at today. I am waiting for the building permit and in the mean time I am working with my builder to make sure we get the budget as close as we can to the actual cost.

I purchased the land in February, but began the process in November, so its taken 6 months to get to where I am now (submitting for building permits) To be continued.....The permits should be approved in about a month from now and we will break ground.

44Reply
1,091 views

Most Popular Reply

Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
3y

@Douglas Gratz I think you need a reality check.  You are over the moon happy because you got a pre-sale.  You've spent at least 12 months on this project and accomplished what seasoned builders would have done in 1-2 weeks.  You haven't even started construction yet, and the pre-sale makes this build much,much more complicated.  Being your first build, you will make mistakes.  On a spec home, you can simply just live with them.  On a pre-sale, the buyers will make you tear out/remodel anything that doesn't meet their expections.  Because you are new and this is a very high end build, you are going to struggle to set proper expectations/understandings with the buyer.  

I struggle to set expectations with buyers despite:

1. Been building houses for 24 years now.

2. Have multiple completed spec homes/model homes for buyers to tour.  Many times the exact floorplan they are puchasing.

3. A 5000 SF idea home/design center where they select every finish going into the home with a professional, full time designer.

4. My homes are 1/4 the complexity of your build.

You don't realize it yet, but the hard work and heartache is just starting for you.  You haven't reached the finish line, you just now arrived at the starting line of a grueling 18 month grind.  If this build is a 50k endurance race through the mountains, you just walked through the parking lot to the signup table.

See this reply in the discussion

195 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    @Mike Smith your are right and I have taken steps. My agent and builder are really good. The buyer does want to change things and is changing things, but my agent amended their AOS to deal with these things properly. The AOS states what she can and cannot do and if she does xyz she has to pay for it upfront and states that if anything she changes, makes the project run longer, she is responsible for paying the interest past a year.

    We all had a meeting the other day at the architects office, squared away what is and what isn’t possible, how much time it will add to the project and the costs related to that. Once we signed she is not allowed to make any changes, so we went over the walls she wanted to move, an elonged garage for a 3rd car, the steel and costs of doing that so she can keep the basement, is all covered in the AOS….However before we signed , we made sure that everything was final, she made her changes and payed for them, we adjusted the timeline accordingly, and it did make things a little confusing, but my agent and builder handled it well and now that the AOS is signed and her finishes picked out, she can only change it for a large fee, agreement to pay any costs related to it whether it’s more interest due to more time or just something small…..

    Mike I haven’t reach the starting line lol…We start mid march…In conclusion my builder and agent set those expectations the moment she talked about customization , and all is well and good in that regard. @Bruce Woodruff as for upcharging, since we are making her pay for the extra’s directly, we are not upcharging other than charging for our time and work….We did it this way because we thought it would be less confusing. So could i have made a few extra bucks upcharging, yeah, but to me it felt like a headache and risk and decided that she has to pay directly , I was grateful enough to have sold it and just wanted to simply build.. When I become more experienced I will make money from this type of customization but for now I am good with how it is

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Douglas Gratz I think you need a reality check.  You are over the moon happy because you got a pre-sale.  You've spent at least 12 months on this project and accomplished what seasoned builders would have done in 1-2 weeks.  You haven't even started construction yet, and the pre-sale makes this build much,much more complicated.  Being your first build, you will make mistakes.  On a spec home, you can simply just live with them.  On a pre-sale, the buyers will make you tear out/remodel anything that doesn't meet their expections.  Because you are new and this is a very high end build, you are going to struggle to set proper expectations/understandings with the buyer.  

    I struggle to set expectations with buyers despite:

    1. Been building houses for 24 years now.

    2. Have multiple completed spec homes/model homes for buyers to tour.  Many times the exact floorplan they are puchasing.

    3. A 5000 SF idea home/design center where they select every finish going into the home with a professional, full time designer.

    4. My homes are 1/4 the complexity of your build.

    You don't realize it yet, but the hard work and heartache is just starting for you.  You haven't reached the finish line, you just now arrived at the starting line of a grueling 18 month grind.  If this build is a 50k endurance race through the mountains, you just walked through the parking lot to the signup table.

     @Mike Smith I see where you are coming from, and if I was doing this alone acting as the GC it would be complex, but I am not in this alone, I am working with experienced people and they know how to deal with ore selling a home and adding upgrades , so it is my first build, but not theirs. If i was on my own , yes this would get very complex , hard, and confusing, but I have a good team who has done this many times over and i have complete confidence in them for they have puts alot of sweat equity into this already and the mistakes I could be making on my own are being circumvented because I have a good builder and agent who have handled things great. I have just been an overseer in this customization process, and now that the AOS is signed and all is set in stone from things she wants to change to costs of it , costs related to taking more time. For example, if any of her changes are a cause of a delay, she is responsible for paying that extra time and we had her put 150k in escrow (aside from deposit money) for these maybe delays….So rest easy in that I have crossed and dotted every T and I to take any extra risk stemming from customization off my shoulders to the extent that I can…..We made sure she knows what she is getting and what to expect. We had (with her money) a new set of schematics with her changes, and amended plans, so she knows the floor plan she is getting and to make sure she is good with it. Now that all that is taken care of we can start building

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Joel Forsythe:

    Pro operators know how to give clients the “custom” experience, bill them for the extra work that goes into it, but also NOT let them f*k with your schedule without $$$ penalties. Productivity is everything. Residential custom contracting is the nemesis of productivity. The best position for you to be in is remove all obstacles to an active job site, every week. No money issues, no client selection delays, no excuse for dark days.

    Well said. If at all possible, ban clients from their own property. Sounds crazy, but if possible it is a game-changer. No bringing friends and family over to look at the project (they'll all suggest changes because of course they are experts from watching HGTV :-)

    If they change anything, make it hurt. Double the cost. Hell, Triple it. Note time delays right on the CO. Time delays and schedule changes are your two biggest enemies. A) Because they obviously cause delays and start bad feelings. B) They will kill you in terms of $$.

     Understood and taken under advisement you too @Mike Smith and @Joel Forsythe, not meaning to repeat myself, but and luckily my builder and agent had this knowledge since I am just reading tour guys advice, as far as customization, she was given her cans and cants, she was given an upgrade package, the only big thing she wanted to change was elongating the garage, she paid the architects, she is paying for the extra time it will take for the amendment ( so paying interest on the land for any extra time related to waiting for her changes) other than that, we set the rules for her like you guys mentioned. From the gate we gave her a package for upgrades , cans and cannot , and it has gone smoothly. She wanted 3 things that weren’t in the package, that will cost me in terms of time and the cost related, they were 1. Elongate the garage, add a pantry, and make the dining room bigger, since making the dining room bigger meant messing with the deck and zoning, we told her we can’t do it, anything that has to go through zoning we wont do. So after she had the  updgrade pakcet, she made her selections, she changed the garage and pantry, and that’s that, the AOS clearly states everything is final once signed and it is signed. So my builders spared me headache by setting strict guidelines as you advised and that’s why I have complete confidence in them, they did what you advised before I read this, as  for being in charge Bruce, I would say I am more of an overseer, in that i trust my builder , he’s in charge, has to run everything by me, but he’s running the show because I am new I know nothing, he has 40 years experience, I am not stepping on his toes so that he can make sure things are done right and thankfully he is a great builder and things are getting done right.

    If i was on my own id be done! Straight up, this is so hard and I would not be able to pull it off myself, I dont have the knowledge my builder does and would have very likely made all the mistake you guys are advising me about, but I am not on my own and can confidently say after reading your posts, my builder is doing a great job because he has covered everything or almost everything you guys have mentioned

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    @Mike Smith @Bruce Woodruff

    Let me add a BIG THANK YOU. Whether I have a good builder and agent and team who have done an outstanding job so far, as an overseer, not in charge per say, I know what to over see and double check to avoid the pitfalls of pre selling and customization. 

    You two have been with me the longest on this post and your words of wisdom have not gone to waste, I have taken the things you have said and taught, and used them as a guide in overseeing everything. I have had lengthy conversations with my builder about the concerns you guys have had and we have adjusted accordingly or better yet I have been given the knowledge to make sure my builder and agent are doing it right, without what you guys have advised I would just be a meer bystander at the mercy of my builder hoping he’s doing it right but instead I am able to know he is because you guys have told me what to look for and make sure of. 

    So thank you for this pasts years of constructive criticism, advice , and wisdom. So far everything is good and when we break ground I will keep the journal going. Aside from weather, I am confident we will be able to stay within budget and very close give or take a month within our timeline for each step. With 18% construction loan, once I get towards the end, will become costly. I hope by the time interest payments are high, we are working on the inside so that weather wont cause delays. The house being sold , is big in that alot of profit can be wasted, waiting to sell the property, this I do not have to worry about. My builder and I have set a schedule for every step to do our best in starting and completing steps on time and that is my job, to over see the building and to make sure we are on time from ordering material to using it. I have research lead times for almost every material we are going to need, I have talked to the supply houses and suppliers, I know what is backlogged and what is not so that I can order things accordingly. For example Wolf ranges have a 8 months lead time, so I need to order them when I start, windows have a longer lead time than usual due to residual effects of covid and supply chain, so those to I need to order ahead of time (by that i Mean a head of what is normal) 

    All I can say is I am doing everything a person can do, to make sure they dont go over budget and time. There are however things I wont be able to control and will adjust and pivot accordingly.

  • Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz  Great shared update and detailed experience.  Kudos to you for “leaning into” the  professional, experienced team you described. Keep the positive relationship going with your builder, even if trouble arises down the line, find the balance to being involved and informed without jumping to hostile positions. It’s a long relationship getting a large project complete, keep it based on communication and understating for as long as possible. Marathon not a sprint as they say.  Keep your grit and resolve going, I wish you the best.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz You've already mentioned a couple things, but I used to always order a few things as soon as I signed the contract 1) Windows and doors 2) Cabinets (I assume you're going with custom cabinets) 3) Any fixtures or appliances that have even a slightly longer projected lead time 4) Any 'specials' that the client might want but has forgotten about now I.E. I had a client that wanted some fixtures from Italy, but didn't think about them until we were ready to do finish. That took 3 months, it was all on her, but guess who got the blame and lost money. So ask her now if there are any 'specials' and have her sign off that aren't.

  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2023 · 201 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    This is fantastic. Glad to see you working through problems and always finding a new angle. New construction is on my list in the future and something like this will be great to look back on. Keep up the good work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    2/24/23 6pm Update

    My real estate just called me with some interesting news.  My homes are to be featured in Philly Style Magazine! Well I think it’s just the home that hasn’t been sold yet.  I wanted to share this news because I think it’s pretty cool that my first project in ground up constructions is going to be in a popular magazine. It will have pictures from all the 3d renderings we have, they are going to interview me, which I may turn down or keep to a script. Not sure if it would be good for it to be known these are my first two ground up, so I am going to make sure that its more about me as a person and how I arrived to this project, talk about how I got into real estate, how I feel about building two of the largest and nicest homes in the area etc etc….

    I am excited, but it’s been a long road since I started and i am just grateful to get to the stage I got to so far, the odds were highly stacked against me. If I could give any advice to a person new to ground up construction, dont wing it like it did, I took a big risk because I knew I could sell the land quickly and for a good price if I needed (until rates went up, could still sell but not what my exit plan had accounted for)….I bought this land because the opportunity presented itself however I was not ready for what was to come and it would have been a lot less stressful if I had financing in place because I have been stressing over that ever since I got the stamped plans and was the sole reason I almost had to throw in the towel. So if you’re getting into a large project, make sure you can afford it because. I am in a situation where Lady Luck gave me a break yet I still am so tight on money that it has become difficult to pay the bills. I cant take from my construction account, once you dip in, you will keep dipping and that money is set aside so I can pay all interest that comes my way. That said, I had to make some sacaraficed in my comfort of living due to having to have sell 3 of my rentals , bringing my income down, so for the next year, I may get a part time job, my rentals bring in a nice positive cash flow, but I really can’t spend it, I take a small small monthly salary, but overall I dont draw from my rental business, I like to grow that account for repairs or acquisitions and if I take to much the business can come to a halt if I can’t afford to buy more rentals……so I am in a vicious credit card cycle where I get a big check, need to keep my score up so pay off the debt, all of sudden I have little cash left, back to credit, and so on. Covid as made the auctions hard, so a big slow down in acquisitions Grrr….seriously, these online auctions took the edge I had away. I would go house to house when researching homes on the auction block, but now you have 4 hours to do all the research b4 bidding where as it used to be 1 2 3 sold. I hate it! But we all have to adjust and find another way.  When these two homes are done, I made a lot of connections where I can get no doc loans with 25% down on any Multi-family, so all in all I can’t wait to get to the finish line . I will still do new construction, but I excel most with my rental business and want to grow my portfolio so I can or my kids can have real sustainable wealth. In conclusion, make sure you have enough financially before getting into any project, getting into this without the proper amount of liquidity, has made me sell my home and other sacraficed so I can afford to keep going. Don’t get me wrong, in the end , it’ll all be worth it as my net profit will be a good amount, I will have payed the debt to my father offs , and have money in the bank and my rentals to show for it. 

    You might look at me and be like well why did you buy the land if you weren’t financially ready to take a project this size on and the answer to that is, it was the only way I saw that I would be able to pay my father back before he gets old and is no longer with us.  Any other way , according to my business plan, is going to take over 10 years and to pay him back is important me and to do it while he’s alive to know its even more so because he did me such a solid that I want to show him it was all worth it and that I did so well I was able to pay it all back . So I bought the land with a plan and enough money to get it to the financing stage, but after that, I was not sure how it would go. I held on longer than expected, it was hard to give up. Before I got the one home sold, part me thought “Douglas you made a mistake and should have sold when you had that great offer” but the other part said “douglas you got this, keep on trying to get it funded, dont stop, go to another bank, and another, talk to friends, just figure it out” If I could do it over, I would sell the land, it would have been the smarter decision because I got lucky, and thats not a good business plan……

    Until next post, have a good weekend

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Douglas Gratz You've already mentioned a couple things, but I used to always order a few things as soon as I signed the contract 1) Windows and doors 2) Cabinets (I assume you're going with custom cabinets) 3) Any fixtures or appliances that have even a slightly longer projected lead time 4) Any 'specials' that the client might want but has forgotten about now I.E. I had a client that wanted some fixtures from Italy, but didn't think about them until we were ready to do finish. That took 3 months, it was all on her, but guess who got the blame and lost money. So ask her now if there are any 'specials' and have her sign off that aren't.


     Will do, waiting on the new take offs to come back, its been a while since we made the budget and the economy has gotten better and worse in different areas, I ythink lumber has come down 20%. But yeah waiting on that and will start to order.

    My builder mentioned to me since its no longer a spec home we could maybe try to have the lumber loaned at 5% among other line items, that way I can take less of a loan out…Have you ever done that?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zane Cress:

    This is fantastic. Glad to see you working through problems and always finding a new angle. New construction is on my list in the future and something like this will be great to look back on. Keep up the good work.

     When you do, make sure you’re financially ready. I went though a lot of stress because of the not knowing if I will have to sell or build. I haven’t gotten to the building stage yet, but so far getting to that stage seems like the hardest part however my good friends @Bruce Woodruff and @Mike Smith say I have more stress coming my way, and they are probably right, I just hope its less stress than what I’ve gone through so far.  Personally I dont think it will be that stressful since the home is sold and any delays and problems hopefully will be like the ones (on a lessor level of course) but the same problem one incurs during a flip, I can handle those type of problems well but the not knowing about the will or wont I be able to finance this, ate at me everyday. But then again I was never very good at coping with any emotion for that matter, so what may be little stress to others is alot to me.

    But good luck on your journey , I am glad this journal will be useful to people. For me its been a good outlet for how I am feeling along with the great people to help.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    Great to hear the update and congrats on the progress.  This has BP podcast episode written all over it!

    Script for the magazine: "excellent builder, long track record, good neighborhood, nice family homes for the community, and improving property values.." generic information on the build...no personal or background information needed...that stuff can be told elsewhere and has more downside risk (trumpeting limited experience to all parties involved) than upside benefit.

  • Member since 2020 · 76 posts · 61 votes
    3y

    This is all very interesting to me. I still think this is ballsy as hell. But again, I’ve never built anything residential other than my house. 

    I only develop and build commercial warehouse properties. Totally different animal. I guess it’s all what you’re comfortable with. Even though my cost is probably 8x’s your costs on these two builds alone, I feel like your project is much more risky. I wish you success. Keep on truckin. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Do not get all over yourself because you're doing a magazine or  whatever kinda interview. Been there, done that, it's no big deal. Stay focused on the project.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz amazing!! Congrats! On to the next 1

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz congrats on a fantastic project.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

     thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Do not get all over yourself because you're doing a magazine or  whatever kinda interview. Been there, done that, it's no big deal. Stay focused on the project.


     Damn bruce cut me some slack and let me enjoy something. I am focused on the project, but just because you been there done that doesnt mean its not something I would like to enjoy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Derek Bell:

    This is all very interesting to me. I still think this is ballsy as hell. But again, I’ve never built anything residential other than my house. 

    I only develop and build commercial warehouse properties. Totally different animal. I guess it’s all what you’re comfortable with. Even though my cost is probably 8x’s your costs on these two builds alone, I feel like your project is much more risky. I wish you success. Keep on truckin. 


    Can you elaborate on your point of view of why it is Balsy? Just curious...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Congrats on the build and this was a really great thread.

    Imagine the people who will live in this over the next 100 years (or more).

    Good Luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Do not get all over yourself because you're doing a magazine or  whatever kinda interview. Been there, done that, it's no big deal. Stay focused on the project.


     Damn bruce cut me some slack and let me enjoy something. I am focused on the project, but just because you been there done that doesnt mean its not something I would like to enjoy.


     Lol..... ok dude, enjoy while you can!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Derek Bell:

    This is all very interesting to me. I still think this is ballsy as hell. But again, I’ve never built anything residential other than my house. 

    I only develop and build commercial warehouse properties. Totally different animal. I guess it’s all what you’re comfortable with. Even though my cost is probably 8x’s your costs on these two builds alone, I feel like your project is much more risky. I wish you success. Keep on truckin. 


    Can you elaborate on your point of view of why it is Balsy? Just curious...


    Because you're still in way over your head, you just refuse to admit it. Which is part of your charm.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz I copied just a snippett from your reply to me. I would just like an update on it in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc.

    "Personally I dont think it will be that stressful since the home is sold and any delays and problems hopefully will be like the ones (on a lessor level of course) but the same problem one incurs during a flip, I can handle those type of problems well"

    Your main problem is you suffer from an extreme case of "you don't know what you don't know".  You dramatically underestimated the blood, sweat and tears that went into only financing.  It seems very niave of you to believe you haven't underestimated the difficulty of building your very first new construction as a pre-sold, very expensive home in an urban enviroment.

    I'm still rooting for you, I just feel you have a very difficult journey ahead.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Derek Bell:

    This is all very interesting to me. I still think this is ballsy as hell. But again, I’ve never built anything residential other than my house. 

    I only develop and build commercial warehouse properties. Totally different animal. I guess it’s all what you’re comfortable with. Even though my cost is probably 8x’s your costs on these two builds alone, I feel like your project is much more risky. I wish you success. Keep on truckin. 


    Can you elaborate on your point of view of why it is Balsy? Just curious...


    Because you're still in way over your head, you just refuse to admit it. Which is part of your charm.


     I never disagreed with that, but I trust my builder and agent who are not in over their heads. Since they know what they are doing I believe things will go well. Especially since my builder has his own money in it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Douglas Gratz I copied just a snippett from your reply to me. I would just like an update on it in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc.

    "Personally I dont think it will be that stressful since the home is sold and any delays and problems hopefully will be like the ones (on a lessor level of course) but the same problem one incurs during a flip, I can handle those type of problems well"

    Your main problem is you suffer from an extreme case of "you don't know what you don't know".  You dramatically underestimated the blood, sweat and tears that went into only financing.  It seems very niave of you to believe you haven't underestimated the difficulty of building your very first new construction as a pre-sold, very expensive home in an urban enviroment.

    I'm still rooting for you, I just feel you have a very difficult journey ahead.


     Oh, I know I do but the stress of financing (all the waiting and suspense) compared to the stress’s ahead are two different monsters. The former was completely out of my control where as the problems I will face during the build, I will have some control over and I can deal with that a lot more than having no control. I can solve problems when they arrive and can do things to avoid them, to me yeah it will be stressful but not nearly as stressful as things that are at the mercy of others.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    @Mike Smith I have an important question, I want to figure out how much interest I will be pay each month, using this spread sheet , assuming it will take 1 year, can you map out how much I will be drawn each month. For example:

    M1: $100,000

    M2: $245,000

    M3: 245,000

    M4: 350,000

    M5: 500,000

    M6: 700,000

    M7: 700,000

    M8:1.1M

    M9 1.1M

    M10

    M11

    M12….

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.