How would you develop this property?

How would you develop this property?

Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I have a 2 BR, 2 BA, 1250 SF SFR, 7,000 SF lot in an A-class hood. My house is surrounded by 4+ BR, 2000+ SF homes. Market prices are ~$500/SF today. So, I'm thinking at some point in the future I may consider moving back in (it is currently a rental), pulling permits and developing out the property adding ~1000 SF as an "owner builder", and selling tax free after 2 years or renting it back out again. It is on an steep up-slope such that it is 2 stories in the front and 1 story in the back ... the 1st floor in the front has only the 2 car garage, ~100 SF unfinished basement, and concrete block retaining/structural walls with crawl space well before the back of the house. Stucco over stick framed construction. I was thinking I could perhaps dig out the basement to add footage. There is another residential street running behind the property, so I might also be able to relocate the garage to detached in the terraced backyard and turn the existing garage to living space. Either that or pop the top to add a 3rd story with insane city views, but then it might stick out (in a bad way) in this block of 2 story, 1920s spanish homes (mine is the newest on the block, 1952 traditional :-) ). This is not a designated historic district to my knowledge.

Would you build this home out under these conditions? How would you plan it? How would you design it? How would you build it? When? How big? What factors would you consider in this decision? I'm not looking for a GC or JV, just advice and opinions please.

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    It kind of depends on what you cost to renovate/rebuild would be.  I am also guessing that the house as it currently stands is worth more per ft2 than a larger house (as is typical), so adding ft2 would reduce your sales price per ft2.  

    My guess it that adding that much to the original house is going to cause you to have to update the entire house. Not sure about your area, but that could cost quite a bit.

    I definitely would not want to live in a house during a renovation of that size, it would be hell.

    Also, depending on how long you have rented the property, you will have to recapture the depreciation when you sell it, regardless if you live in it prior to selling it (unless I am completely clueless on the this aspect of the taxes).

    I would talk to an agent to see what the house is worth now. Then ask around with some developers or contractors to see what general $/ft2 for renovation (existing house) and $/ft2 for the additions.  Then you can add the value of the house plus the renovation and addition costs, this will give you your costs. If that is less than you think you can sell it by some amount (I would suggest at least 20%) then I would consider it. Otherwise, keep or sell the house as is.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.