Cost per sq ft to build a high end home in MA

Cost per sq ft to build a high end home in MA

Methuen, MA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 2 votes

Hi bp,

I have a deal that I most likely plan to wholesale because I have no experience in building. Its a large amount of land in a good area and I would like to be able to pitch the property to other investors with more experience and capital than I do and know what I am talking about. So basically I just have one question, what is the average cost to build high end homes in MA per square foot? 

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charleston , SC · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 142 votes
8y

If you're in Boston and the surrounding areas building high end homes you should be planning on 300/sqft.  If you're builder and hold your unlimited license then it could be closer to 250 but that is close to the bottom. Anyone pitching sub 200/sqft in this area is a little off base. Price out your Italian Marble showers and counter tops and your custom thermadore/wolf appliance package and this price point is going to seem a little more reasonable. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y

    What does "high end" mean? 

    Granite and marble?  Or Olympic pool and helipad? 

  • Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I'd suggest talking with our friend Mette and taking a look at there modern home cost guide http://aamodtplumb.com/Modern-House-Cost-Report

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    10y

    J has a point is it High End of HIGH END!

    I have not done it myself but people that I know that do new builds and usually hear anything from $120-150/sqft.  This is for good finishes to REALLY good finishes in nicer areas.

    Rental grade in Lowell will cost you less but going all in in Weston I'm sure will be a lot more.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y
    Completely depends on Location, size and level of finish - if it's in a "W" town near Boston or good school area you will be a lot higher than to would in other areas.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · North Conway, NH · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    It's really hard to give a close price. Wells and sewers can be extremely expensive if there's no town hookups. Custom homes can be very expensive to design, engineer, finish etc. I built a custom home last year in Northern NH for about $180/ft but that had a private well and septic with higher end finishes (quarts, custom cabinets, radiant heat, wood floors, ceramic tile, cathedral ceilings)
  • Needham, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Builders cost for your typical new construction home in towns like Needham and Winchester is 125-135 per sq ft. I have many contacts that are spec builders in the area. We should talk.
  • Methuen, MA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @J Scott Thanks for the reply! By high end i mean granite and marble, I'm thinking $1M+ homes with 4+ beds and 2+ baths with a lot of amenities 

    @Shaun Reilly Thanks for getting back to me with some numbers, much appreciated!

    @Chris Seveney Thanks for the response. So different towns will cost more to build in just because of location? Builders charge more or some towns just have more fees and stuff? 

    @Marty Hietsch Its north of Boston I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but yes PM me and I'll send you my number

    @Account Closed Its raw land with no utilities or sewage, but theres quite a bit of land so I think multiple houses will likely be built. Thanks for the response!

  • Stow, MA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    8y

    I am also interested in the cost per square foot to build a high end home in metrowest Boston.  Also, does anyone have good reputable builders they would recommend in the area?  Thank you.

  • Investor · Charleston , SC · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    If you're in Boston and the surrounding areas building high end homes you should be planning on 300/sqft.  If you're builder and hold your unlimited license then it could be closer to 250 but that is close to the bottom. Anyone pitching sub 200/sqft in this area is a little off base. Price out your Italian Marble showers and counter tops and your custom thermadore/wolf appliance package and this price point is going to seem a little more reasonable. 

  • Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Stasz:

    If you're in Boston and the surrounding areas building high end homes you should be planning on 300/sqft.  If you're builder and hold your unlimited license then it could be closer to 250 but that is close to the bottom. Anyone pitching sub 200/sqft in this area is a little off base. Price out your Italian Marble showers and counter tops and your custom thermadore/wolf appliance package and this price point is going to seem a little more reasonable. 

     If they're anywhere close to $200 psf they are low.  I design for a builder who builds about 70 homes a year well outside of Boston and his cost to customer is over $150 psf and that is vinyl siding, PT deck, prefinished flooring etc.  Add wood siding, nicer windows, sand in place flooring etc. and of course nicer finishes / kitchen and $200 psf is in the rear view.  

    I also design for a few Cape Cod builders and they are in the $250-$400 psf range.

  • Investor · Charleston , SC · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 142 votes
    8y

    @Jay M. I don't disagree. I am in South Carolina not Mass so clearly not a local expert. 

    I think my point was the idea that you can build at 150/sf or even 90/sf which we often see quoted on BP is not realistic. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.