How I Structure Land Development Deals

How I Structure Land Development Deals

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes

I break land development deals down in 12-month increments. As a rule of thumb, I structure deals so I never have my money tied up in the deal more than 12-months. As a second rule of thumb, I try to lock in my return on capital at least 200% IRR. Finally, I look to reduce my risk exposure in a deal as much as possible.

1) The 12-month to 20-month Seller JV. I like to offer sellers a very low cash now offer let's say $400,000 and then a much higher 12-month to 20-month short term JV at let's say $500,000. Whether the JV is for 12-months or 20-months depends on how long it will take me to get entitlements done and get permits issued.

I like urban 3-story townhouse development in Seattle because it only takes 16-months from acquisition to sale. The permit review period is 10 weeks (although right now with delays it is taking 18-weeks). So here is how I structure these deals ideally. I offer the seller a 12-month JV at the higher price where I put down $10,000 EM and will cash them out for $500,000 in 12-months.

Why do I structure it this way? I will come in with the hedge fund and pay for $50,000 in soft costs including survey, architecture, engineering, geotech if needed, land design and permit intake fees. I am looking for a deal where I can cash out $150,000 (roughly a 200% IRR) in 12-months from the original $50,000 investment. What I will do is get a partner on the deal right before permits are issued. They come in with $300,000 ($140,000 for 25% downpayment to cash out the seller and $150,000 to cash me out plus closing costs) in exchange for 70% equity in the project.

By structuring this way, I locked down a 200% IRR and the new partner takes all the risk. I am sure to do it in exactly 12-months and one day so these profits are taxed as capital gains versus ordinary income. The new partner now takes all the risk of the project and loan guarantees the construction loan. I have eliminated my risk. I to structure these deals so they will make $600,000 on their $300,000 investment in 9-months (pretty good return over 90% IRR). I then will make an additional $150,000 cherry on top profit with my 30% equity and make another $150,000 as the builder/GC and $60,000 as the listing agent.

2) Luxury Development. I like to structure luxury development projects where I will subdivided 5 acres with a view on a seller JV. My strategy would be to sell two lots for $750,000 each and then use the $1.5 million proceeds to pay cash (no construction loan) on a 7500 sq ft luxury home at $165 per sq ft. The reason why I do this is because if the market crashes, I don't want to pay 1% interest per month on a $1.3 million construction loan. $13,000 per month times 4 years to wait out the market would kill me. Plus, extension fees every 90-days. Even if I rented out the 7500 sq ft house at $5000/month, I would still lose $750,000 in a market crash. That's what most builders don't. I would only build luxury if I can subdivide, sell the lots and get the first build for free. Then wait to sell the first house at $2.5 million and then build house #2.

18Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 2 votes
10y

@Ryland Taniguchi, awesome post!  I have to read it and hear you in person a few times to learn how you structure the deal together and I still have some questions.  In your example, you locked the deal and agreed to pay $500,000 12-months and you only pays $10,000 earnest to the seller.  Your investor is bringing in another $300,000.  Does the investor paid $150,000 (downpayment) to the seller?  Would the investor later bring in another $350,000 at maturity date (at 12 months)?  

It is a relatively low-risk investing with accelerated wealth combined!  It's amazing!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Ryland Taniguchi .... Awesome explanation! I love the way you break down and explain your strategies in detail. It really helps people that are new to investing (like me) understand the thought process behind structuring a good deal. Thanks for your constant contributions!
  • Realtor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    As a newbie this kind of seems to be the distant future but I love to see how you plan and strategy is laid out. I have spent my career as a cost analyst in manufacturing, it's interesting to see assumptions laid out in terms of land development.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Ryland Taniguchi, awesome post!  I have to read it and hear you in person a few times to learn how you structure the deal together and I still have some questions.  In your example, you locked the deal and agreed to pay $500,000 12-months and you only pays $10,000 earnest to the seller.  Your investor is bringing in another $300,000.  Does the investor paid $150,000 (downpayment) to the seller?  Would the investor later bring in another $350,000 at maturity date (at 12 months)?  

    It is a relatively low-risk investing with accelerated wealth combined!  It's amazing!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Henry Y.:

    @Ryland Taniguchi, awesome post!  I have to read it and hear you in person a few times to learn how you structure the deal together and I still have some questions.  In your example, you locked the deal and agreed to pay $500,000 12-months and you only pays $10,000 earnest to the seller.  Your investor is bringing in another $300,000.  Does the investor paid $150,000 (downpayment) to the seller?  Would the investor later bring in another $350,000 at maturity date (at 12 months)?  

    It is a relatively low-risk investing with accelerated wealth combined!  It's amazing!

     No the $150,000 is the only downpayment needed for the construction loan and also to cash the seller out their $500,000. 

    The fund makes a profit of $100,000 in 12-months off an initial investment of $50,000 (200% IRR) and keeps 30% equity on the upside with no risk.

    Then I usually make more money as the GC/builder and as the listing agent.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I am inspired Ryland!  I can explain it to my partners.

  • Investor · New Windsor, NY · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Ryland Taniguchi, thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your invaluable tips & strategies. I am a newbie and your teaching makes me excited about my investing future!

    Right now, my husband and I are seriously considering a home in a hot town. It is on a double lot. I will call the building department to confirm subdivision possibility. I also have to make sure the current house is in the right position allowing enough setbacks to allow for subdivision. Is getting a survey done the only way to know this? I was hoping there is an effective, hopefully free or cost-effective way:) to do this?

    What other questions should I ask to make sure subdivision will work?

    Thanks, Ryland! And all the best to you & yours! 

  • Investor · Bonney Lake, WA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Great post.  I own a 5 acre tract of land, the subdivision has been approved  with 19 lots, it is currently zoned R-1, I am in the process of rezoning to R-2, and will have all the entitlements by FEB/Mar with the approved subdivision construction plan.  I need financing to complete the infrastructure, then to build the duplexes- any recommendation is appreciated.  Thanks.

  • Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 399 posts · 166 votes
    6y

    Do you have experience building? 19 duplexes plus a subdivision build out is no small feat for a first timer. What about flipping it to a builder? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Deanna Hubert:

    Great post.  I own a 5 acre tract of land, the subdivision has been approved  with 19 lots, it is currently zoned R-1, I am in the process of rezoning to R-2, and will have all the entitlements by FEB/Mar with the approved subdivision construction plan.  I need financing to complete the infrastructure, then to build the duplexes- any recommendation is appreciated.  Thanks.

    are you sure duplex lots are HBU ?   horizontal financing is the toughest to get by far.. depending on where it is shoot me a PM and i might have some ideas for you

  • Developer · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ryland Taniguchi

    Great post.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Ryland Taniguchi

    Thank you for sharing this value with everybody.  I couldn't have come across this post at a better time.  I was recently talking to a builder that offered to sell me a property because he spread himself a bit thin by investing in a second property.  I don't blame him because he got a good deal, but not he's not able to fund both projects.  I have the capital as well as a capital source that I can bring to the table, but I don't know how to secure the deal with the builder.  Now because the owner is a builder,  he will be responsible for building it and I want to come in with a partner that will be happy with a 30% return on their investment, and split the remaining profit with the builder.  This is a single family property that we will rebuild into a luxury home.  With that said I have a few questions:

    1.  Should I buy out the seller/builder and pay him to build it

    2. Should I  just fund the construction and split the profits with the builder and my partner?

    3. Do you happen to have a JV agreement that you can share with me? :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.