Harwood floor vs. carpet on h/w - Pros/cons

Harwood floor vs. carpet on h/w - Pros/cons

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 1 vote

Hello all,

My duplex has h/w floor under cheap and stained carpet. I'm thinking of refinishing the h/w floor and maybe not putting carpet anymore...or skip refinishing and put better quality carpet to lower expenses? Still undecided, but I personally like hardwood floor.

What are the pros and cons in terms of cost and maintenance for rental unit?

Thanks all again for your feedback.

Lou

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · River Forest, IL · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 42 votes
8y

I like Jim's thought process; yes, I'm biased toward HWF. That being said, perhaps you could share the type of tenant, location, and quality of the unit you are seeking to produce/serve. If a more mature affluent tenant is your target, then I think you know the answer.

I love dogs, but they are floor killers.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hardwood floors are great, however tenants aren't going to treat it the same way a homeowner will.  Just look at how the carpets were treated.  I would take out the carpets and put down a laminate or the Allure vinyl that sells at Homedepot.  

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Lou Lee,

    Remove the carpet, and put wood looking ceramic tile down.   It's super durable, cheap and looks great!!!  IMO it offers the lowest maintenance available!   

    Remember to think long term-- how easy can someone destroy this? 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    8y
    +1 to the laminate idea. Cheap, looks great, durable
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Remove the carpet and leave the hardwood as is. After they destroy the hardwood put down laminate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Lou Lee What would be the long term plan if you cover them up? Refinish them right before you sell?

  • Lexington, MI · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    Any adhesive backed flooring is going to be very hard to get off the wood later. Just keep that in mind if you look at tile or laminate. Tenants probably won't treat the HW that well but if it's thick you can always sand and reseal between tenants. Cheapest thing that will look good is probably new carpet though.
  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    8y

    @Lou Lee

    This spring I was faced with the same decision as you.    I was able to refinish my hardwood floors for around $3 per sf ft.  Carpet will be around $2 per sf depending on what you pick out and will only last 2-5 years.  Every 3-5 years I can rebuff (light sanding and clear coat) the hardwood floors for around $1.50 to $2 per sf.  Lifecycle cost its cheaper refinish and maintain hardwood floors vs carpet.   I would then move to a no pet policy.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · River Forest, IL · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    I like Jim's thought process; yes, I'm biased toward HWF. That being said, perhaps you could share the type of tenant, location, and quality of the unit you are seeking to produce/serve. If a more mature affluent tenant is your target, then I think you know the answer.

    I love dogs, but they are floor killers.

  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    8y

    Vinyl plank flooring for wood look and durability. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.