Building low income housing using Shipping Containers ?

Building low income housing using Shipping Containers ?

Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes

I am looking to build a 5-15 unit multifamily complex using shipping containers which are fully built from China.

After having read dozens of articles about building multifamily using shipping containers I am convinced this can work. Throughout the world Japan , Germany, Canada , South Africa,China and several other countries use  shipping containers for constructuon projects. This method is used because it offers reduced costs in building, reduces the time of construction 30-40% , is stackable, fireproof, and safe . This building method is common throughout the world which sparked my interest .. Japan is the world leader in prefab contruction  where 15% of all new construction projects are made using prefab  construction methods.

The project I am seeking to develop would include buying two 40 ft extra high shipping containers From China and have them shipped to Tampa Florida. . 

 The process would include: having a Chinese factory build the shipping containers in the Guangdong Provice (largest manufacturing area/ construction factories in China) ,shipping them to Tampa,setting them on a concrete slab, cutting out the center walls, welding/ connecting the container, and finishing the center part with tiles.

. Prior to doing this I would have to connect the sewer,water electric , have the blue prints , permits and other other aspects of the construction in place . 

The largest monetary savings would be buying this containers prefabbed from China and this would significantly reduce all construction costs. The average build costs in Tampa are 110 sq ft however this can be done for under $55 sq ft

After analyzing the construction costs in building  a 640 sq ft apartment using two 40 ft containers my calculations totaled $24,000/unit  (this price includes the shipping costs from port to construction site).

This 640 sq ft unit would be built to Tampa housing codes which would not impact the approval of the unit.  When calculating the cost per buildable  square foot the costs are : 

$37.50 /sq. Ft however this does not include the roof. 

After looking over all costs in this development I came up with the number of $45,000 per unit which includes land, permits , parking lot, roof,GC costs , Architectural costs etc.

This unit would be a small 2 bedroom 1 bath and it would be rented to a section 8 tenant for $945 where the tenant would pay for water & electric.

When calculating the return on investment I came up with a an ROI of 15%

$45,000 total build cost /unit 

Gross yearly rent ($945 x 12 = $11,340)

-40 % expense 

Income $6,804

6,804/ 45,000. = 15.1% ROI

These are not accurate calculations but I believe they are close based upon my research. 

2Reply
429 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

Here is my long time collougue and airplane partners  new shipping container company

https://www.relevantbuildings.com/   here in Oregon quite a bit more complicated than just buy the containers and go.. but he is up and running now.

his target is the rural market were you can lock and leave.. rural cabins can be targets for thieves he also owns a big piece of dirt in PDX were he is thinking to create a village of these 100 plus and run it like a MHP..

 
See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Why would you order empty shipping containers? You buy them for cheap in US ports after delivery of goods from China. But I’m not sure building MF out of shipping containers works well, however you source them.
  • Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Very interesting project. When are you starting?

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 133 posts · 114 votes
    8y

    Hi Christian. Like you, I'm a big believer in the promise of prefab and its strengths. The big problem with manufacturing in China is the supply chain of materials. I strongly believe prefab's strength lies in executing as much of the construction as possible in the factory. Unfortunately with China there's a large gap as from what I understand it is extremely difficult to source US-code-compliant materials within China, despite the fact they're all built there. For example, unless you can get UL listed power receptacles for the homes in China, you'll end up having to purchase them here and shipping them to China. I only know of a couple people starting to scratch the surface of this dilemma. Also I hope you realize the amount of prefab occurring throughout the world is not predominantly utilizing shipping containers.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dennis Wasilewski:

    Why would you order empty shipping containers? You buy them for cheap in US ports after delivery of goods from China. But I’m not sure building MF out of shipping containers works well, however you source them.

    The containers would not be empty, that would be fully built out with a bathroom, kitchen , flooring , insulation , sheet rock walls insulation, doors, lighting fixtures etc.

     I would not seek to have a container built in the states due to the labor costs. The average skilled construction worker in China gets paid $740/ month. Then the material costs would cost less than half of what I can buy them for in Home Depot. The overwhelming majority of construction materials we use in construction come from China which is why I would get them directly from the source rather than going through several intermediaries. 

    The labor, material and time savings are the bread and butter of this project. Many American contractors are unfamiliar building using shipping containers while Chinese companies do this on a daily basis in large 100,000 sq ft. Factories. 

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Ellis:

    Very interesting project. When are you starting?

    I do not have a set time but I would like to carry out more research before starting this project. The more I know and less issues I find come across I would like to begin by the end of 2018. 

  • Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Have you seen the 3D printed homes? That might be an even cheaper route to go if you are working towards providing Section 8 housing. 

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi Christian. Like you, I'm a big believe in the promise of prefab and its strengths. The big problem with manufacturing in China is the supply chain of materials. I strongly believe prefab's strength lies in executing as much of the construction as possible in the factory. Unfortunately with China there's a large gap as from what I understand it is extremely difficult to source US-code-compliant materials within China, despite the fact they're all built there. For example, unless you can get UL listed power receptacles for the homes in China, you'll end up having to purchase them here and shipping them to China. I only know of a couple people starting to scratch the surface of this dilemma. Also I hope you realize the amount of prefab occurring throughout the world is not predominantly utilizing shipping containers. I and my company have extensive experience working on prefab projects including container projects throughout the US. If you want to connect please reach out. 

    Pedro you are correct however I would send a project manager to China to resolve these issues. Where there is a will there is a way. Many large factories cross sell there products with other factories to meet the needs of thier clients therefore I would source code compliant construction materials. However if issues arise I would then get part of these items installed/ constructed in the States

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Ellis:

    Have you seen the 3D printed homes? That might be an even cheaper route to go if you are working towards providing Section 8 housing. 

     I have not . That might  be the better approach. I currently rent 90% of my properties to section 8 tenants and this low cost construction method would work well for those who are not seeking top notch quality or luxury builds 

  • Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 75 votes
    8y
  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Ellis:

     This method only builds the concrete structure but it does not include any other part of the construction. This method would have to be used onsite and the additional domestic labor costs would not provide a cost savings due to the reaming work. Some of the least expensive costs are the structure(skeleton) which is why a $10,000 block structure would not make this cost effective. I can purchase 2 shipping containers for $5,000. 

    This is an interesting method and I believe it will be a major disrupter in the construction industry.

  • New to Real Estate · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Hi @Christian Podedworny - just curious as a Tampa native, where exactly in Tampa do you plan on putting these units?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    You need to check with both the local jurisdictions where these homes would be erected or placed, as well as state law concerning industrialized or modular (not manufactured) housing.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    Here is my long time collougue and airplane partners  new shipping container company

    https://www.relevantbuildings.com/   here in Oregon quite a bit more complicated than just buy the containers and go.. but he is up and running now.

    his target is the rural market were you can lock and leave.. rural cabins can be targets for thieves he also owns a big piece of dirt in PDX were he is thinking to create a village of these 100 plus and run it like a MHP..

     
  • Investor · Coplay, PA · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 315 votes
    8y

    SPF roofing is the way to go on containers. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have heard of people using storage containers on a one off basis, similar to the tiny houses. I have never heard of anyone doing this at the scalable of a community. If you could create a PUD, planned unit development, you could avoid a lot of the land use issues. Will you have issues with the manufactured home certificates? Manufactured homes must pass a certification.

    I wonder if onsite assembly and sourcing used containers already in the US, would be more efficient?  If you became a retailer of the product in the US, it might be a more viable option.  Scale and quality control could be a nightmare if you only doing a small number of units.  I believe there is a market for this type of construction and it does not have any of the negative images that are sometimes associated with a trailer park.     

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Claire D.:

    Hi @Christian Podedworny - just curious as a Tampa native, where exactly in Tampa do you plan on putting these units?

    At this time I am looking in the 33610 and 33605 area codes. These areas have significant numbers of lower income renters who have Section 8 vouchers and the land costs are inexpensive compared to other neighborhoods. 

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Umphress:

    You need to check with both the local jurisdictions where these homes would be erected or placed, as well as state law concerning industrialized or modular (not manufactured) housing.

     John .you are correct. This is something an architect will have to look into and research since he/she is familiar with the county/state requirements. I will have to make that one of the first steps before moving forward.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Here is my long time collougue and airplane partners  new shipping container company

    https://www.relevantbuildings.com/   here in Oregon quite a bit more complicated than just buy the containers and go.. but he is up and running now.

    his target is the rural market were you can lock and leave.. rural cabins can be targets for thieves he also owns a big piece of dirt in PDX were he is thinking to create a village of these 100 plus and run it like a MHP..

    Jay, this is exactly what I am looking to create .  After seeing his multifamily concept on the  website I believe this will be the right way to go. There will be issues along the way however if the numbers pan out this will  be the cheapest and quickest way to build multifamily. 

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mark Holencik:

    SPF roofing is the way to go on containers. 

     Mark that is a sound idea, do you happen to know if these method is more cost effective than metal or shingle roofing ?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    I like the idea but have you seen a unit in person? Could quality be an issue? Are they up to fire code?.... $945 for a 640sq ft. 2 bed sounds ambitious. 2 beds in the "C - B" neighborhoods in the Tampa bay area are in the $800 - $850 range.
  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Lesley Resnick:

    I have heard of people using storage containers on a one off basis, similar to the tiny houses. I have never heard of anyone doing this at the scalable of a community. If you could create a PUD, planned unit development, you could avoid a lot of the land use issues. Will you have issues with the manufactured home certificates? Manufactured homes must pass a certification.

    I wonder if onsite assembly and sourcing used containers already in the US, would be more efficient?  If you became a retailer of the product in the US, it might be a more viable option.  Scale and quality control could be a nightmare if you only doing a small number of units.  I believe there is a market for this type of construction and it does not have any of the negative images that are sometimes associated with a trailer park.     

      As a multifamily structure these units will be subject to different standards compared to single family properties(manufactured homes). When importing these containers from China they would not be labeled as homes but rather construction material therefore all of the certifications/ inspections would be carried out on site due to the structure complying with all local building codes. 

    However If this cannnot be done for what ever reason  I can get a certificate through the IBTS. 

    https://www.ibts.org/what-we-do/manufactured-homes/verification-letter-certificate/

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:
    I like the idea but have you seen a unit in person? Could quality be an issue? Are they up to fire code?.... $945 for a 640sq ft. 2 bed sounds ambitious. 2 beds in the "C - B" neighborhoods in the Tampa bay area are in the $800 - $850 range.

    Yes I have seen a few however they were not multifamily structures but rather single family .Yes these steel structures are fire proof and the spray foam insulation meets all of the fire codes. There are two companies in Tampa who currently build these container homes and they are all code complaint.

    The Tampa housing authority has payment standards that show how much rent is allocated to a given unit . The most one can get for a 2/1 without utilities in a housing complex is $945. This is correct because ther is the amount I receive each month for my 2/1 located in temple terrace.

      This is the reason why I am seeking to build affordable housing in co junction with section 8’s housing program. The typical rents are 15% higher and the government guarantees most of the rent payment. 90% of my portfolio is Section 8 and on average I have less evictions with Section 8 tenants compared to non Section 8 tenants.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    There's a community that's being built in Tallahassee, FL called Freight Yard Apts to rent to college students if you wanted to search that and take a look at what they're doing. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:
    I like the idea but have you seen a unit in person? Could quality be an issue? Are they up to fire code?.... $945 for a 640sq ft. 2 bed sounds ambitious. 2 beds in the "C - B" neighborhoods in the Tampa bay area are in the $800 - $850 range.

     these are all over Europe  big blocks of them of course European builders are far ahead of us in the states.

    as for fire they are solid metal  I suppose an interior fire would incinerate anyone or anything in side.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Lee:

    There's a community that's being built in Tallahassee, FL called Freight Yard Apts to rent to college students if you wanted to search that and take a look at what they're doing. 

     Thank you Daniel I will definitely look into it. It amazing how this real estate community comes together and exchanges information about the most uncommon projects. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.