Dont buy paint from Home depot.

Dont buy paint from Home depot.

Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes

I brought a paint sample to home depot to match and purchased a sample. I only needed enough to cover a few sq feet.  When I went to use the paint it didnt match. I took it back to the store for a refund and they refused. How the hell can they not guarantee a color match. I was going to be spending about 10 to 15k at their store in the last couple of months of this year but I will be taking it somewhere else now.

8Reply
500 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Tom R. Its a clear no-return policy for this exact reason. You made a mistake, it happens. The correct response would be to take some responsibility and go fix the problem, instead of trying to rally a boycott. In this business youll have a LOT more businesses piss you off, and cost you money than what a couple gallons of paint cost. Pace your anger my friend, youll need it. ;)
See this reply in the discussion

99 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Tom R. Home depot doesnt guarantee paint matches. They even have a disclaimer at the paint desk. You made the mistake of assuming a 100% match....that hardly ever happens in painting. Refund...? That's funny....
  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes
    8y

    I made the mistake of trusting the salesman who told me I could get a refund if it didn't match. Their match wasn't even close. The primer was a closer match than the one he made for me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    You misunderstood company policy. $2.94 sampler was opened.

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y

    We have an awesome paint guy who runs the local Benjamin Moore paint store.  He can match paint perfectly.  He has been in the paint business for 40 years.  Find a dedicated paint store and stick with them.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Matching a paint will never be perfect. Besides, even if it was, your older paint was likely faded. Totally unrealistic expectation. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    @Tom R. I am pretty sure that they stick a label right on top of the can that says “NO Refunds” right after mixing it
  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Where you going to buy $15k worth of paint later?  I might want to front run a stock buy...........

     About $6k in flooring, $2k in appliances, $2k or 3k in paint, lumber, drywall and about $5k in miscellaneous/ surprise the house needs (???) repairs.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    @Tom R. Its a clear no-return policy for this exact reason. You made a mistake, it happens. The correct response would be to take some responsibility and go fix the problem, instead of trying to rally a boycott. In this business youll have a LOT more businesses piss you off, and cost you money than what a couple gallons of paint cost. Pace your anger my friend, youll need it. ;)
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Home Depot is not exactly known for their paint matching.  None of the painters I know will use paint from there.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    8y
    @Tom R. I just bought 7 gallons..
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Hai Loc   It would be interesting if you did a scientific test by getting seven small paint brushes and then paint seven stripes side by side and see if you can see any differences.

  • Travelle MasonPro Member
    Rockville, MD · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    If y'all are gonna leave constructive commentary/advice, leave it, but nobody's looking for your snide remarks.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    @Tom R. Isn’t a sample 2-3 dollars?
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Tom R. They don't care. Your $15k over a few months is nothing, I've spent double that in a single order and am likely still a small-fry. Its the way big retail works. If you want responsiveness, pay the premium to buy at a small single-store supplier locally.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greater Bosto, MA · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    This thread was helpful. Especially about managing our anger_ which is really frustration - and it brings up a side issue: 1/4 of Caucasian men are partially color blind. They have trouble seeing different shades and seeing things separately when looking at certain color combinations. It's similar to being partially deaf. You don't see everything as clearly as others and a person combining paints may be that person..

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Travelle Mason:

    If y'all are gonna leave constructive commentary/advice, leave it, but nobody's looking for your snide remarks.

    So here's my advice: Get over it and realize where you are purchasing. If I want a suit that fits me perfectly with an exact fabric and style, I don't go to Macy's, I go to ESQ in Chicago. If you go to Home Depot, expect your purchase and level of service to be subject to that of a multinational retailer (hint: its far from personal/perfect). Especially when their policies are clearly stated. Unless you alone are a percentage of that store's sales volume, expect little to no exceptions to those policies you agreed to upon purchase.

    That's about as constructive as it gets. Cheerleading/pity-parties do little to fix the problem at hand.

  • Rental Property Investor · Schenectady, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    The title of your post is what all my painters say to me! Lol My local Sherwin Williams store has nailed a few matches for me recently. Their scanner even matched the color of a vinyl railing from a magazine picture I brought them. I’d recommend them next!
  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes
    8y

    This is pretty much the response I expected from the bigger pockets community. Less than 10% of you offered any advice or support. This is part of the reason I will never pay for pro.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Tom R.I buy about 200 gallons a month, never have an issue. 

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Tom R. Advice or support? You basically went on a rant about home depot not matching your color perfectly and how everybody should avoid using them in the future? You did not even ask for support or advice you tried to initiate a boycott because you have unrealistic expectations. If you want advice or support just ask for it. Proper post "I'm having trouble with home depot being able to match a certain color that I need for a renovation project, any ideas or advice?".....
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Tom Ott what advice or support would you like..???? Its paint!  Never pay for pro, too funny. BP is simply the BEST OF THE BEST networking site on the planet!! ONLY pros and people that actually DO deals and want to buy more properties vs just talking and kicking tires. Again your complaining that the paint did not match, what are we supposed to tell you??     Hey here is an idea, try another store,,  good luck 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tom R.:

    This is pretty much the response I expected from the bigger pockets community. Less than 10% of you offered any advice or support. This is part of the reason I will never pay for pro.

     First the advice: go to Sherwin Williams, open Pro account if you're going to flip at least 1 house per year - they'll give you discount about 2/3 off the price on Promar 200 and it's base interior which will be cheaper than Home Depo with their accumulated every year discount.

    Next: your attitude: with such an attitude you won't last long in this business. Few dollars don't worth the aggravation - let it go or be dragged into huge amounts of conflicts every day. 

    After all, Home Depot is going to be your day time place to live if you're going to flip houses.  Try to make friends with everyone there - it will help you much more than your attitude right now.

    And the last: Nobody soliciting you to pay for Pro membership - everyone has their own reason why it worth for them. But your comment doesn't show that Bigger Pockets as a company will have big regrets of your decision.

    Each their own 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    8y
    @Tom R. I tried Home Depot once but I always stick with Sherwin Williams promar 200 paint. My paint colors are standard for all my properties so I always have left over and it matches very well. Also, SW paint is little thicker and hides imperfections very well. I tried eggshell but went back to flat again. However, even SW will not accept return of tinted paint.
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    I NEVER paint a area on a wall .If I have to do a touch up , I will paint that entire wall . Sure it might not match the other 3 walls exactly , but its close enough . 

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    @Tom R. If you have a Sherwin Williams they do a better job of matching if you have a larger piece of wood or drywall they do a great job but it’s more expensive. I always use them for paint matching. Good luck!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.