Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 76 votes
Hi everyone!
I'm in the process of trying to select flooring for my live in flip. My husband and I will be living in this house for 3 years minimum so I don't want to go cheap with flooring but don't wanna go too expensive either. What type of flooring would you suggest or have you used and what's the max you would pay per SF? Thank you!
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I like vinyl plank floors. They look like laminate but are waterproof. You can then rent out the house knowing that water won't be an issue from tenant spills. The floors are not as long tested in the market place like laminate but if the claims and durability on warranty are true then I really like the product. So far I am happy with the results. Most people think it looks like wood. The ones I buy are around $2.80-3.20sqft.
I agree with @Jason D. a high end laminate flooring looks great and wears well. In Los Angeles all of the fixed up flipped properties are using this and they are selling for very high prices.
This may be regional because I read a thread like this before where some areas were demanding hard wood floors in homes at a certain price point.
Do some homework in your region to see what homes at your sales price are demanding.
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I like vinyl plank floors. They look like laminate but are waterproof. You can then rent out the house knowing that water won't be an issue from tenant spills. The floors are not as long tested in the market place like laminate but if the claims and durability on warranty are true then I really like the product. So far I am happy with the results. Most people think it looks like wood. The ones I buy are around $2.80-3.20sqft.
Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Right. For a flip, you need to figure out what the market will expect and go with that. Different for a rental. Unless you think your likely buyer will be a landlord.
That said, for a 3-year turn, I would style anything you do as classic as possible. I have a feeling the common trends are about to take a turn, as they have been around a bit too long, and these things always move on to the latest and greatest. It is possible 3 months is much different than 3 years. Neutral is safe in this regard, but it's boring too. It's a tough balance to find. Probably more people get it wrong than right. Magazine pictures are helpful for ideas. That's how I pick paint color.
Floating systems have gained wide-spread acceptance and I don't see that trend going anywhere except even more wide-spread - they are just too awesome for so many reasons. The higher-end markets will probably continue to poo-poo them, but I still see them used in really nice homes too. Same goes for a nice plastic tub surround vs tile (like a high-quality one-piece insert, not some crap piece-mail glue-on).
The good news is, there are sooo many choices. The bad news is, there are sooo many choices. LOL
Specialist · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 21 votes
7y
I just installed high end vinyl planks throughout my house and love it. It is almost made out of a PVC type material and the planks are fairly thick. If you are planning on renting the property I would suggest going this route to avoid scratching/wearing of hardwood. I believe it was about $3 per square foot and is indestructible.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
Common areas, bedrooms- wood. Bathrooms tile or vinyl. If it will convert to a rental laminate or vinyl. AT your selliing price point what do you see in the competion?
I just installed high end vinyl planks throughout my house and love it. It is almost made out of a PVC type material and the planks are fairly thick. If you are planning on renting the property I would suggest going this route to avoid scratching/wearing of hardwood. I believe it was about $3 per square foot and is indestructible.
I agree with Jamison. The operative word is high-end or best quality. We did a few apartments with luxury vinyl plank (LVP) and luxury vinyl tile (LVT) in 2011. Unfortunately we didn't choose the best product and have seen failure in 3 of 5 units. Over the years the manufacturers have been improving the product and the installers are getting better at installing it correctly, so we're going to try it again. This time we're buying from a contractor supply house rather than from the big box stores. It really matters which LVP/LVT product you buy and who installs it.
Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 9 votes
7y
@Frank Wong Exactly I manage a Lumber Liquidators and I tell all of my Rehabbers that Vinyl is the way to go for landlords. Most people don't care but your setting people up for failure if you a a cheap laminate or a "High End" laminate that's not water resistant
I did about 800 square feet of my house and it cost around $3000 including all the underlayment and baseboard. It took me about 12 hours total I think. Like @Marcia Maynard said, be careful when choosing the right flooring. Some brands can have separation and it becomes a pain in the @$$ to deal with!
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Right. For a flip, you need to figure out what the market will expect and go with that. Different for a rental. Unless you think your likely buyer will be a landlord.
That said, for a 3-year turn, I would style anything you do as classic as possible. I have a feeling the common trends are about to take a turn, as they have been around a bit too long, and these things always move on to the latest and greatest. It is possible 3 months is much different than 3 years. Neutral is safe in this regard, but it's boring too. It's a tough balance to find. Probably more people get it wrong than right. Magazine pictures are helpful for ideas. That's how I pick paint color.
Floating systems have gained wide-spread acceptance and I don't see that trend going anywhere except even more wide-spread - they are just too awesome for so many reasons. The higher-end markets will probably continue to poo-poo them, but I still see them used in really nice homes too. Same goes for a nice plastic tub surround vs tile (like a high-quality one-piece insert, not some crap piece-mail glue-on).
The good news is, there are sooo many choices. The bad news is, there are sooo many choices. LOL
Happy designing!
Yup gotta stick with the classic colors. Time tested. Gray floors are so out. Please don't put that. A hint of gray is OK but I rather go with a light or dark brown matte.
Lots of natural light go dark it will make the room pop. Dark house goes with light floors. Please match the cabinet colors. Can't go light brown cabinets with dark floors. Looks terrible.
If you are looking to flip or use for buy and hold the colors matter. You don't want to get caught with something trendy and its out of style. Classics is safe and you want to get burned on design. If you want to go with the trend gotta know what's in and what's on the way out. The great ones can see past the curve and see what the new trend will be. This would next level design.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 17 votes
7y
Another vote for the high end laminate. I just did a couple bathrooms with it and I fell in love with it! SUPER easy to work with and it looks great. Based on the reviews it lasts forever but given I just installed it I can't speak to that. The best part about it to me (as a semi-handyman) is there is NO GROUT! Quick, easy, cost efficient and looks great. If it holds up half as well as I expect it to I will be a huge fan!
Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
7y
Click together vinyl plank. Looks like wood, goes down like Pergo, very cheap and lasts a lot time. The cheap stuff is cheap and will scratch though. Make sure to get a sample to test out before you buy a whole house of it.
Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 76 votes
7y
@Damaso Bautista It’s weird because it looks like the 3/2 that sold right next door for $245k has vinyl tile but it’s probably LVP. I could knock on his door. Lol. I have no shame in my game. There was another one remodeled looks like laminate but very very hard to tell. Could be LVP as well.
Realtor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 99 votes
7y
@Maya Torres I’ve used a wood-look vinyl in mine. They look great, are very durable and waterproof. Got mine for under $2/square foot but you can find vinyl at all different price ranges. Very easy to install too.
Investor · Mancelona, MI · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 24 votes
7y
Went Home Cheapo (Home Depot), but got the Engineered. My brother does contract work and said to avoid the cheaper stuff and go that way. Glad I trusted him. The stuff is tough. Pricier, but guess it's another case of "get what you pay for". Classic look for the design went together with everything well. Built in padding saved a few dollars on the underlayment. Put it in myself. Not hard at all if you can use a saw and tape measure. Just try and be halfway exact. If you're as terrible of a carpenter as I am, just pay more for really nice thick baseboards with lots of detail. Covers that crappy cutting well. Hahaha Just make sure you bother to buy the rubber thingys that let you tap it into place with a hammer without damaging it and keeps it away from the wall to the perfect measurement. It does help a ton.
Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
7y
We use Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) almost exclusively mow in both our flips as well as our rentals. Looks high end and costs less then ceramic and hardwood and is more durable then laminate.
Item pictured is a floating floor application that locks together, requires no underlayment and goes over floors that are fairly uneven. Laminate will not and wont tolerate moisture.
Price is about $2.20 a square foot and installation can be had at .75 to 1.25 a square foot.
@Gary L Wallman that looks great! Do you have a particular brand you've had success with? I'm in the process of picking out LVP for a rental and I'm slightly nervous about the products in the mid $2/sq foot not holding up well.