Someone stole my gutters - don’t know whether to laugh or cry

Someone stole my gutters - don’t know whether to laugh or cry

Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 28 votes

I hired a guy to repair vinyl siding and replace the aluminum fascia. I also paid him to do seamless gutters. He hired a sub for the gutters. They did a good job. I think he didn’t pay them and they came back and took the gutters off. Weird. I think this because because they carefully took the gutters off and didn’t take anything else other than my nice 3/4 inch hose. Anyone have any creative ideas on recourse? I don’t have any job site camera which is about to change.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
7y

Unless you have proof, don't assume he did not pay a subcontractor. In Baltimore thieve circle a rehab property like vultures waiting to steal things. It's so bad we have to put AC condensers on the roof  or hang them on side second story or they walk off.

Recourse - reinstall.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Do you have the name of the subcontractor?  I'd call the guy that you paid and play stupid and ask what happened to the gutters you paid to install...when are they being installed?

  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    Unless you have proof, don't assume he did not pay a subcontractor. In Baltimore thieve circle a rehab property like vultures waiting to steal things. It's so bad we have to put AC condensers on the roof  or hang them on side second story or they walk off.

    Recourse - reinstall.

  • Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris good idea. Unfortunately he and I were there while they put them on. I am telling him the cops want the name of the sub which is true. I’m gonna rattle his cage as much as I can.

  • Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter it’s a shame that we’re all out here working for a living and people decide to steal.

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    Those must have been some quality gutters...sucks but I don't know any further action other than complaining to the GC will be any good. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Derek Scott:

    @Theresa Harris good idea. Unfortunately he and I were there while they put them on. I am telling him the cops want the name of the sub which is true. I’m gonna rattle his cage as much as I can.

     this is more common than we imagine.. when subs don't get paid .. we don't see that here on the west coast much if subs don't get paid they lien..  but in the deep south and mid west I have for sure seen them come back and rip out what they put in..

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kelly DeWinter:

    Unless you have proof, don't assume he did not pay a subcontractor. In Baltimore thieve circle a rehab property like vultures waiting to steal things. It's so bad we have to put AC condensers on the roof  or hang them on side second story or they walk off.

    Recourse - reinstall.

    Kelly  Google DAWGS  security systems Chicago.. this is how YOU HAVE to secure your property in many areas of chicgo. with out it your house will be stripped..  in lower end C to D class  stealing condensers is a sport.. and there are lojac's for them..  But I like the roof idea.. I think that would prevent a lot of it.. we cage them but they just saw through the cage..  its usually the neighbor in those high % rental areas.. they see house go vacant they call their cousin 

    cousin comes over and relieves you of many items..  

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    7y

    I am acting as a project manager A friend of a friend I hired a roofing company who I have used before for this house. The owner would not return phone calls after the job was done had stories of lost phones I called over and over she finally paid.

    Here where I am you pay when the job is done unless you have a long history with the company.

    Liens work here from what I gather if they are in the process of selling otherwise the lien just sits. If I have it right you must go back every year and redo the lien?

    Now that I think of it, I have heard of AC outside unit hauled away after a job was done and no payment.

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    @Derek Scott gutters weren't stolen for scrap, they're not worth it. The only way they were removed is if someone had an identical house and knew how to remove them properly and reuse them or the sub took them back (illegal in a lot of states). Find out who the sub was and call them to see what happened. If your GC won't tell you who the sub is, it's because he's hiding that he didn't pay them

  • Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Bryan Devitt oddly enough, the guy I hired gave me the contact info for his sub today. I told him the cops wanted the info...

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Derek Scott:

    @Bryan Devitt oddly enough, the guy I hired gave me the contact info for his sub today. I told him the cops wanted the info...

    It will be interesting to see what the sub says. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    I had white clothes stolen out of my dryer in a carport.  When the cops asked for a description, I replied "white fruit of the loom t-shirts with mild armpit stains..."

    I've had gutters stolen too (no stains on those...they were new).

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 287 posts · 205 votes
    7y

    I read this entire thread in disbelief.  I feel if people put the same energy into building for themselves opposed to taking from others, we'd all be father along

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.