Prime wallpaper then texture?

Prime wallpaper then texture?

Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes

Hi BP, I have a handyman coming tomorrow, and I have to decide whether I want him to strip all the drywall in the upstairs of the house off and us re drywall everything which involves taping, 2 coats of mud, sanding then texture and a little more sanding, ooorrr... does anyone know if I can prime the wallpaper then texture over it. In the past I have had difficulty trying to go over wallpaper with mud (joint compound), because it gets the wall paper wet, then the wall paper comes lose and bubbles, then I’m left with bubbles that I try to smooth over, but my second coat of mud gets the wall paper moist again and it bubbles more in other areas etc.

My technical remodel question is: is there a positive solution to going over wall paper? I imagine if I eggshell or satin sheen over it, it might seal the wall paper and keep it from the moisture of the drywall mud. This would save me tons of time if I can just prime the walls instead of tear it down, rehang, tape, mud finish etc. If there’s a way to get to drywall smooth texture over wallpaper stuck to drywall or plaster, please let me know your ideas. This would save a lot of people some time if we can get this one figured out.

0Reply
189 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Matt M.:

16 years as remodeling contractor, and wallpaper is one of my biggest headaches to deal with.

 The only good wallpaper is that which is lying curled and rumpled on the floor . . .

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    It can be a little time consuming but pretty much all wallpaper I've come across can be removed from the drywall. It is a pain, but can be done. You first peel back the wallpaper and remove the face of it so that just the layer of glue is left behind it. Once your at that point, you spray the glue residue with water, and it should be able to come off pretty easily with a drywall knife. Sometimes you can both steps at once, sometimes you cant. This video explains it pretty well:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mj26IwwEiY


    If you are really trying to save some money, I think this will be the cheapest way. I wouldn't recommend texturing over wallpaper. Like you said, the moisture of the texture will cause the paper and glue to weaken and bubble, making your walls look like crap in my opinion.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Bob Collins thanks for your honest opinion and experience. This is old wallpaper and may have 2-3 layers. I think this could be a good option to try to remove the paper though. Come to think of it, I did remove some wall paper on another job, but there were small sections I left that seemed to be sticking well. When I textured over them they bubbled, so I’d definitely say, if you’re removing the paper, get it all off. I’m going to sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow and try to get back to this thread to leave my conclusion. Thanks for the help

  • Contractor · Lewisville , TX · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed The best and really only way I know to do it correctly is to use Zinsser B-I-N Shellac based white primer. This puts a coating on the paper that prevents the moisture from the paint or mud to get through. I cut out seams or whatever then primer everything. Then some mud to smooth everything out that needs it.

    However...when they say you need proper ventilation, they aren't kidding! The stuff is potent so use a mask and open windows. It dries really fast so that makes it better.

    Over multiple layers of paper, I've done two coats, but it may not need it. It works goo over damaged drywall too. Good luck.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Charles Goetz I was afraid someone might say shellac. Last year a customer bought some of that stuff for me to paint their cabinets with and yeah, you’re NOT KIDDING. The fumes are crazy. Ok, so it sounds like the fumes will go away quick. I’m sure I’ll need one of those respirators with filters on the sides. How do you apply it. From what I remember it’s liquid as heck and can run pretty easy on vertical surfaces. Can I roll it on? I would hate to put it in a sprayer, just because I’ll have to clean the sprayer out with paint thinner etc probably.

  • Contractor · Lewisville , TX · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    You're right @Account Closed, it's really watery. I have sprayed it when doing a lot of rooms, but usually, I roll it. I get a throw away pan, roller and brush so I don't have to clean it all. You would need mineral spirits to clean it. It dries to the touch in 15 minutes so any that gets on something you don't want it on will need to be cleaned up quickly. When it dries, it's there forever.

    I wish they could make it not smell so nasty and it's not cheap. I pay $45 per gallon. If you can fight through all the hassles of using it, it will save a bunch of time and money. None of the oil based primers that I've found have worked like this stuff.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed  -  Is this a flip or a rental?   

    I used to try and paint over wallpaper, but it just never seemed to come out right.  I also used to try steaming it off.  That was worth it only 30% of the time.   Now I either just demo it and hang new, or go over it with 3/8 and call it a day.  I know what my costs are to hang,mud,paint, so I just factor that in and move on.  Time is money, so the more streamlined our processes, the faster our product gets finished.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y
    I have sprayed a light primer on the wallpaper to seal it, sand it lightly and paint it.
    It is also not that hard to take down. There is a tool that you run over the wallpaper that scores it and allows the wallpaper remover chemical to loosen the adhesive. Then it is pretty easy to wipe it off the wall with warm water and a rag.

    My wife would remove the wallpaper. I would seal it with primer and paint over it.
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Greer IME if you paint the wallpaper with oil based primer it will create a barrier that doesn't let the moisture from your mud or wall paint through. Scrape off any spots that are peeling and sand the rough spots before you prime.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Ablan:

    @Account Closed  -  Is this a flip or a rental?   

    I used to try and paint over wallpaper, but it just never seemed to come out right.  I also used to try steaming it off.  That was worth it only 30% of the time.   Now I either just demo it and hang new, or go over it with 3/8 and call it a day.  I know what my costs are to hang,mud,paint, so I just factor that in and move on.  Time is money, so the more streamlined our processes, the faster our product gets finished.

    I agree 100% with this but sadly, the costs just go to hell once you're dealing with wallpaper on plaster instead of drywall, which is most of my properties. Widespread 3/8 in. drywall put in over stripped lath...not my favorite thing. The really thin stuff, the 1/4-in. drywall so often used to go over old plastered walls -- that's just ugly and does not stand up to the abuse that my rentals take.

    So I spend a lot of time steaming wallpaper in my properties. I'm pretty good at it.

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    i'd say just zinsser/primer it and then mud it/paint it. yes, some paper does come off easy, but in very old homes, you're looking at 2-3 layers of this crap, and tearing that off some(a lot of?)times tears the front layer of the sheetrock with it... i hate painting, but hate dealing with wallpaper even more.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ablan it’s a flip so that’s why I’m wrestling with it. It’s only about half of the room on less important areas. The rest I re drywalled. Had the helper scrape the drywall and that took a minute, but we’ll slap some shellac soon!

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Get yourself a garden sprayer, fill it with hot water and add a capful of fabric softener. Spray the walls, pull off the first layer, then spray again. They rest of it should scrape off easily with a taping knife. Wipe down the wall with a sponge (rinsing often) to remove the rest of the glue.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Greer

    I’m dealing with this now in a house I recently bought. I was able to strip 2 of the bedrooms, gave up on the living and dining rooms after I spent a day and got no where with really old wallpaper.. using a steamer, and scoring and spraying. I opted to just hang 1/4” drywall over the plaster walls.

    As for priming... you can try a small section with a good water based primer, see if it bubbles. If no good, you’ll have to use an oil based primer. Once the primer is down, then you can spackle.

    Hopefully I’ll have better luck with the 1/4” than @Jim K.

    16 years as remodeling contractor, and wallpaper is one of my biggest headaches to deal with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    16 years as remodeling contractor, and wallpaper is one of my biggest headaches to deal with.

     The only good wallpaper is that which is lying curled and rumpled on the floor . . .

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Sylvia B.

    Without a doubt

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, IL · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Greer

    There is a product called Gardz, wallpaper installers use it to prime before wallpaper. That will seal the wallpaper so you can paint and doesn't have the smell of an oil primer like bin(shellac). I have used it with investors who want to go over wallpaper. The product is available at JC litch or home depot

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Matt M. man this stuff sucks. The upstairs has about 20 layers of wall paper and the downstairs has the plaster chicken wire stuff. My goal is to strip only the loose wallpaper off that comes off while it’s dry, roll shellac on (bad experience), then mud a light skip trowel surface. If it doesn’t work I’m out all that time and $ and will have to tear it out

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Rippinger ok sounds like it’s worth looking into. I’ll check Depot. Thanks

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    The wall paper is not part of drywall and is fluffy. By spraying stucco over there is no adherence. You are waiting for a costly lawsuit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Greer I was in a situation like this and I agree with @Bob Collins We ended up removing the wallpaper from the drywall. So yeah it can be done and it would be a lot better than spraying the wallpaper.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Jonathan Greer Benjamin Moore instructs diyers to prime wallpaper withfresh start and paint over it. Via website. I have not used it but I have skimcoated wallpaper that would not readily come off a few different times. Not layers of paper though, just cheap dimestore wallpaper installed w/o sizing. Nice paper properly installed comes right off.. Got the go ahead from reading on the painters forums. Makes sense that if you can skim coat dywall, paper coverd gypsum board, you can skim coat wallpapered dtywall. If I got any bubbles I cut them out with a utility knife, seal with gardz or wood glue and fill/skim. Layers may act different. Might try a wall in each room.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chippewa Falls, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    You can easily paint over wallpaper, I can even send you a picture of a recent house I flipped for a rental that every room had wallpaper and after a little texture no one would ever guess.

    The biggest thing to watch out for IMO is just to make sure you don't load on the primer or paint too much or it could loosen the adhesive behind it and get creases and air bubbles. If you're extremely anal about the quality, you could even have a fan running behind you to help the primer sit faster. After you're done with the primer, put on a decent knockdown texture and it'll take any imperfections out of it no problem. Also, I've never used a primer for this that cost more than $15/gallon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chippewa Falls, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    http://imgur.com/gallery/TLKrful

  • Rental Property Investor · Chippewa Falls, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    http://imgur.com/gallery/IRLLGvB

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed painting over wallpaper will not look very good, but it is cheap. So the question is what kind of flip is this. Is it low end or are you going for a quality look? The only way to properly deal with wallpaper is remove it and repair the wall. Worst case rip the drywall off. 

    You can paint ANYTHNG. Wallpaper, counter tops, floors, light fixtures, cabinets, wood paneling, you name it. Good prep and good primer that is designed for the job and it will stick. It just doesn't look as good in most cases, so it is all about what quality level you are going for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.