Bathroom Remodel Issues. What would you do? What would you pay?

Bathroom Remodel Issues. What would you do? What would you pay?

Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes

So, it came time to remodel my downstairs apartment how to get this done quickly so I ended up using a contractor to replace my tub & walls. It's not a full "rebath" as the old tub was removed and they used "acrylic " walls. Essentially they glued a sheet onto a wall. So, end of the 14 hour day. I'm left with this.

Seal at the top of the wall Window trim, seems like the guy cant cut 90* Window trim, water side the "cut & seal" around the window bar the top corner of the wall the room as a whole. Note the bend in light over the left side of the bar, the entire wall "squishes" During remodel

Essentially I told them I wouldn't song any finance paperwork until it was rectified. The walls "look" like a stone, however the bead wasn't spread around so there's waves and squishes when you press on it. Not by much,  A simple tooth trowel would have stopped this from occurring.  However the ops manager, when he came out said "this is manufacturer standard"

What would you do? would you even pay anything till it was done?

Also, in case you wanted to know, it was $10,000.00 for that.......

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

For a bathroom that size...I usually pay $8k to redo the whole bathroom...floor, toilet, vanity, tub, tiles, light and fixtures. Im in a similarly priced market to you.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    It's not the manufacturer standard - it was an excuse to have you accept the unacceptable.  No, I would not pay and that would be the last time the ops manager set foot in my property. I would find out who the owner is and send him/her the photos and ask when a more experienced contractor would be available to right what is wrong and finish the job.  And, don't forget the power of the BBB.  The Better Business Bureau will reach out to the company and gauge their willingness/ability to satisfy the complaint. What they left you with isn't the cruise you signed up for...don't pay.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    For a bathroom that size...I usually pay $8k to redo the whole bathroom...floor, toilet, vanity, tub, tiles, light and fixtures. Im in a similarly priced market to you.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    John, 

    In the future, you might want to think about pre-vetting your contractors by asking for 3 or 4 recent jobs they have done that are similar in scope and price, and also ask for a couple of current jobs they are working on.

    Call the previous jobs and ask about the work quality, and the owners overall experience with the contractor, and visit the job sites where they are currently working to see the quality of workmanship.

    It's a lot of work and time, but $10,000 (I assume you had bids) (and assume it's the going price in Abington for this time of year) is a lot of money, and unpaid contractors have a habit of placing a lien on the property that must be satisfied to sell it.

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We usually do them ourselves (5 in the last 18 months) & I would not accept the job they did for you.

    For the last one we were facing a <1 week turnover on a $1600/month SFR. The thrice resurfaced 1960's solid cast iron tub was peeling AGAIN & the old small black & red tile & shower/tub fixtures etc were an antique corroded leaking mess. The flooring, 60" vanity, faucets, lighting, toilet etc had been updated a year earlier.

    So my wife & DIL decided to go with Bath-fitter for a guaranteed 1 day turn around. It included all new drains & O/flow from the tub, all new shower/tub fixtures, a code required expansion tank @ the HW tank & a code required back flow valve at the water meter. 

    $4,900 & they did an amazing job.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    The finishing is not good.  Even if the caulking had been done right, it would have hid a lot of the problems around the edges.  If all of it looked like the corner bead in the top photo, you'd be fine, but the horizontal one...well I could have done better than that.

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y


    Originally posted by @Patricia Steiner:

    It's not the manufacturer standard - it was an excuse to have you accept the unacceptable.  No, I would not pay and that would be the last time the ops manager set foot in my property. I would find out who the owner is and send him/her the photos and ask when a more experienced contractor would be available to right what is wrong and finish the job.  And, don't forget the power of the BBB.  The Better Business Bureau will reach out to the company and gauge their willingness/ability to satisfy the complaint. What they left you with isn't the cruise you signed up for...don't pay.

    The owner seems pretty willing to fix it, the ops guy on the other hand is just "that's manufacturer protocol" attitude really set me off. If the end result is better, I intend to write a positive review. If it goes the other way, It's self explanatory. 

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    John, 

    In the future, you might want to think about pre-vetting your contractors by asking for 3 or 4 recent jobs they have done that are similar in scope and price, and also ask for a couple of current jobs they are working on.

    Call the previous jobs and ask about the work quality, and the owners overall experience with the contractor, and visit the job sites where they are currently working to see the quality of workmanship.

    It's a lot of work and time, but $10,000 (I assume you had bids) (and assume it's the going price in Abington for this time of year) is a lot of money, and unpaid contractors have a habit of placing a lien on the property that must be satisfied to sell it.

    Good Luck!

     Yeah, I had a few people swing by and they actually cost more than the competition. They just showed a better product. However, the end result is this trash. Also, they can put a lien on it, I'm looking at riding this till the wheels fall off. Prices are up 9% this year and growth is at 3% so I'm probably safe for a few years. I'm sure they'll be out of business before I sell if they keep this up.

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    Looks like the Monday morning hangover job.

    Lousy workmanship.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    I wouldn't pay for that because its unacceptable.  Job wasn't done right. The trimming is lousy, wall boards bounce, large gaps...detail is horrible.

    In NYC i could get a total gut job and have installed: Proper sheetrock & durock wall backing, a new shower body with single lever handle & spout, porcelain floor tiles throughout, porcelain wall tiles surrounding the tub to ceiling height, tub, sink, new vanity, baseboard, prime and paint and 2 light fixtures for 10-13K. 

  • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
    7y

    $1000 for the tub and surround materials cost. 2 days labor strip to stud, mount everything direct to stud. Generous labor fee of $2000.

    You got played hard. 

    I hope like heck they ain't gluing that to those tiles. That's a failure from the get go, and you will NEVER get them to honor any warranty. Far from industry standard workmanship.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:


    You got played hard. 

    You said it VERY politely !!!

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:
    Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:


    You got played hard. 

    You said it VERY politely !!!

    F. The craziest part, thats pretty average in MA for this. I had a few contractors come out and it was between 6-12K for the same stuff. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Kaspar:
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:
    Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:


    You got played hard. 

    You said it VERY politely !!!

    F. The craziest part, thats pretty average in MA for this. I had a few contractors come out and it was between 6-12K for the same stuff. 

    That's one heck of an o/head to deal with. My live-in maintenance guy did a complete bathroom rehab for me for $800 in labor as I had a blown meniscus at the time. It included stripping it to the studs then installing everything, plumbing, all tile flooring & tub surround. I paid for the materials & it's about the 5th he has done for me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    1500$ job including materials . Do some research or do it yourself next time . 

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:
    Originally posted by @John Kaspar:
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:
    Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:


    You got played hard. 

    You said it VERY politely !!!

    F. The craziest part, thats pretty average in MA for this. I had a few contractors come out and it was between 6-12K for the same stuff. 

    That's one heck of an o/head to deal with. My live-in maintenance guy did a complete bathroom rehab for me for $800 in labor as I had a blown meniscus at the time. It included stripping it to the studs then installing everything, plumbing, all tile flooring & tub surround. I paid for the materials & it's about the 5th he has done for me.

     On my next one, wanna send him to MA? Ill pay for his trip & housing :/

  • Rental Property Investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    Wow. $10k. That’s insane. 

  • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
    7y

    Good salesmanship on the contractor though. Here, its $3k to swap out a tub/surround and do associated drywall/paint work. 

    You would have to actively try to spend more than $5k in a bathroom. Like, tile everything or curbless shower. 

    And yes, for $10k I will travel to MA, been wanting to see that part of the country anyways haha.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @John Kaspar

    I feel very bad for you, sir. That's an incredible price, and less than outstanding work indeed.

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:

    Good salesmanship on the contractor though. Here, its $3k to swap out a tub/surround and do associated drywall/paint work. 

    You would have to actively try to spend more than $5k in a bathroom. Like, tile everything or curbless shower. 

    d

    And yes, for $10k I will travel to MA, been wanting to see that part of the country anyways haha.

     dead serious, ill fly someone out.

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    7y

    Wow, that should be $1500 in labor max. Material cost shouldn't be more than $2/square feet for about 77 square feet of file, $150, and then the tub $150 ish for the tub

    Did you get any other bids? I know labor costs here in Arizona are going to be a little less but not that much less

    How much have you paid him? Besides just the fact that he 100% ripped you off in pricing, that job quality is no where near acceptable

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dustin P.:

    Wow, that should be $1500 in labor max. Material cost shouldn't be more than $2/square feet for about 77 square feet of file, $150, and then the tub $150 ish for the tub

    Did you get any other bids? I know labor costs here in Arizona are going to be a little less but not that much less

    How much have you paid him? Besides just the fact that he 100% ripped you off in pricing, that job quality is no where near acceptable

     Unfortunately I used a financing company, however I called them and they told me if it was never resolved to call them.

    I really intend to write the most honest review when they finish up. 

    The owner offered me "a check from marketing"  to give me a partial refund, if I "give him a good review"

    sure boss,

    well see how this check goes.                     

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    7y

    @John Kaspar That's a tough one because you'll be getting a partial rehab but at the expense of telling other people they did a get job and then someone else getting snaked.

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dustin P.:

    @John Kaspar That's a tough one because you'll be getting a partial rehab but at the expense of telling other people they did a get job and then someone else getting snaked.

    Yup, Realistically, there's probably no amount of money to "fix" this. Even at free, I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. Was sold one thing, received another. 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @John Kaspar I would have done it for $6000

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Arturo Arredondo:

    @John Kaspar I would have done it for $6000

     Most of the other companies said the same thing. However this company offered a "better" product.

    With a crap installer

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.