Roofing Quote Expert Advice

Roofing Quote Expert Advice

Investor · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2015 · 287 posts · 57 votes

Any experts on roofing who can tell me if this looks like a good quote?  I;m sure it does but are those good "coil fasteners", and does a city require a permit for this, I dont think so, and my biggest question here is, is there a potential problem with overlay versus total replacement?  House was built 1952, roof is about 20 years old, my intent is to sell either now or in 2 years. Currently a rental, I want to get it FHA ready.  Any FHA requirements on overlays vs total replacement?  Thank you for any information you might be able to share.  I researched FHA roof requirements, there is no mention of overlay vs replacement.  

Overlay Estimate

We will install Malarkey Duraseal 3-tab shingles on slopes and the ridge. We will use 1 ¼” coil nail fasteners and apply roof caulking around pipe jacks and furnace pipes. install a synthetic permeable underlayment and obtain a city permit as required. We will do a thorough cleaning and haul off any of the discarded material. We will protect windows and landscaping with either tarps or OSB during the installation.

Total overlay cost is $5,297.00

We will install Malarkey Duraseal 3-tab class 4 Impact Resistant shingles (potential insurance discount) on the slopes and ridge, galvanized pipe jacks, 1 exhaust cap, 1 electrical boot and 1 wind turbine is included in this bid. We will use a synthetic permeable underlayment on the slopes. Valleys will be protected with an ice and water shield underlayment. Ice and water shield will be applied to any areas of concern where a leak could potentially be created. This extra preventative cost is not passed onto you, we want ensure we install a solid roof. We will remove the discarded shingles and other material. We will protect windows and landscaping with either tarps or OSB during tear-off and installation. Full roof replacement comes with a 25 year manufacturer and a 5 year labor warranty.

Total replacement cost is $6,860.00

We try to leave your house and yard cleaner then when we started. Magnets are rolled through the yard, flowerbeds & driveway by the crew to pick up any roofing nails. If the job takes two days, we clean up most the first day. The second day will be the final clean up. We typically have one crew member cleaning up throughout the day to minimize the amount to clean at the end of the day.

- We are a certified Malarkey shingle installer

2Reply
183 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
6y

Option #1 is a hack job / band-aid.........  Going over an existing roof is a hack job....period, no discussion. Is it possible to get a quality job going over shingles?  It's possible.........It's also possible for me to walk across a 5 lane freeway without looking and not get hit.  Odds are about the same....

  It also includes caulking around the pipe jacks not replacing (hack job x3)....   The pipe jack boots usually fail before the roof so I'm sure they've already failed if the roof has.  Since option 2 lists new ridge vent and option #1 does not it leads me to believe they'll go over ridge and not vent it?  If you have soffit venting and only ridge vent at present not gable vents then you need to vent ridge.

Coil nails just mean they're using a roofing gun.  The nails for the guns come in coils.

Both options list 3-tab shingles.  Check you neighborhood for like houses.  If they're all using the "architectural type" shingles rather than 3-tabs your house may stand out when going to sell as an obvious "cheaper" option that jumps out at you as soon as the buyer pulls up.  I don't know about the area in AZ you're in but within a 100 miles of where I live in the northeast I couldn't even guess which decade was the one I last saw a new roof being replaced or new construction using 3-tabs...

If anyone doesn't agree with my personal opinion that going over a roof is a hack job I'll outline my argument if you would like....  I figured most would agree and  I could save some typing..

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2015 · 287 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    Is it normal for all these roofers to ask for half payment for materials up front?  Do any of them not require this?

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brenda Whittaker:

    Is it normal for all these roofers to ask for half payment for materials up front?  Do any of them not require this?

     Yes. If they don't know you and you dont know them this is normal. They are protecting themselves in case of a customer who does not want to pay after work is done.

    Regarding the wood replacement. It is typical for companies in this area to include a few sheets with every estimate. 

  • Investor · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2015 · 287 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    So I got the decking estimate, $32 per 8x4 sheet of plywood, total labor and material, if needed.  Seems pretty reasonable.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brenda Whittaker:

    So I got the decking estimate, $32 per 8x4 sheet of plywood, total labor and material, if needed.  Seems pretty reasonable.

    That is very reasonable. One more thing to stress about (lol) is your house may have tongue and groove/shiplap as old as it is. If so it will be a tad more but shouldn't be much. 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christina Johnson:

    We have sources here in the island as my husband a general contractor. 

    I have not been able to read all replies. 

    If anyone needs constructive services condiments contacting us. We sell real estate, provide general contracting to basic maintenance, and we manager vacation rentals. We also have a commercial cleaning company that specializes in vacation rentals and construction cleaning.
    I have the best roofer. Please let us know if any service is needed.

    As a side note I will be posting 20 acres of Bayfront land for sale today reduced to $599,000. It is close to Evia which is a very popular subdivision. 

    The owner has reduced the price for a quick sale because he simply can’t Find the time to develop this land. 

    She is looking for a roofer in Sherman which is north of Dallas. But while I have your attention, How much per sq foot to build a duplex on the Peninsula? Say 900' per with loft and of course it would need to be elevated. Near the soon to be ex-Rollover Pass. It is also on the bay. 

    Do you also build piers? Bulkheads? ....I may build the pier/bulkhead myself but the house I do not have time to  do it since I am 4 hours away. But would still like a price if you do this type of work. 

    Send me info on that other property also. I'll take a look. 

    I will do all civils, I just need price for building. I can send you a plan. Pm me. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Galveston, TX · Member since 2019 · 100 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    That is a question for my husband. I don’t think he can take on work 4 hours away. Let’s take and see if he can help.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christina Johnson:

    That is a question for my husband. I don’t think he can take on work 4 hours away. Let’s take and see if he can help.

    I missed this because you didn't tag me. The work is in Galveston County. If it was in my county I would build it myself. Gilchrist, just across the ferry. 

  • Investor · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2015 · 287 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    I am having SO MUCH TROUBLE!  Why can't the roofer I want to hire just send me a friggin contract for the price he quoted me??  He is BBB certified, licensed, insured, has multiple locations although only in business for a year, boasts about how big the company has gotten in a short time, has been very good about sending photos, showing up for estimate process, and showed up to meet with insurance guy, however he keeps talking about insurance and I know it's because he wants to charge more if I am using insurance.  Again, shouldnt a roof cost what a roof costs, regardless of insurance coverage??  How do I get a roofer to just do the damn job without trying to commit ins. fraud??  His bid is $6500, I think he's competent but he did not send a contract, he is insisting on "insurance papers".  What?  I did file a claim and with depreciation and high deductible, I got a little cash to help with the job, but as I see it it's none of the roofers business what I got or if I got anything at all.  He wants to bill the ins. co. or something, no just NO..  Is this a giant red flag and should I run the other way?  Why cant he just honor the quote he gave me?  When he heard I was having an adjuster go out there to have a look he told me things I cant even remember that seemed to me like he was going to raise his price if I use insurance.  This seems wrong and how do I get away from this crap?  Hire someone else?  Its turned into a research and detail nightmare.  Help!

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    so, let's make a few things clear. did the insurance commit to replacing your roof? the check that you did get, if you had replacement value policy, would've held some depreciation back, which is recoverable after the job is complete. if the roofer is trying to get other repairs complete (let's say, the found something after tearing into the roof, or something that they have to touch is not up to current code), they will go back-and-forth with the insurance company to square those away. you're on the hook for the cost of your deductible only. have you signed any papers with the said roofer? 

  • Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    You assume too much when you only really have 2 years in the roofing trade.

     I was a carpenter (framer, roofer, sidewaller) for 17 years full time before I switched over to design (which included the 2 years of commercial roof estimating.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jay M.:

    You assume too much when you only really have 2 years in the roofing trade.

     I was a carpenter (framer, roofer, sidewaller) for 17 years full time before I switched over to design (which included the 2 years of commercial roof estimating.

    Well, you know what they say about assumptions. Looks like we are both guilty of that. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.