Garage conversions to ADU’s

Garage conversions to ADU’s

Rental Property Investor · Tacoma · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 8 votes

I have 2 garages on my multi family property, I was wonder if anyone knows what the process is for permits and sewer costs? It already has power and I can do majority of the work, wonder what’s costs have others come across this conversion?

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael HaasBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
6y

There are always exceptions, but as I understand the regs @Matt J. is correct. The ADU's reg's mentioned by other posters are for Single Family zoned properties, not Multifamily (lowrise) zoned. In Seattle this means a 650 sq ft DADU, but no additional ADU's (unless the zoning permits more units, but either way that would be adding additional units, not a ADU, to a multifamily.)

95% of garage conversions are done without permits and are not legal, especially if the property is multifamily.

HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    6y

    check your local city requirements for ADU's. should be available via online websites. If you can't find it i have a contact in tacoma who does lots of work around ADUs.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Gerardo Ali

    Raise the ADU size maximum: Tacoma restricts ADU size to 1,000 square feet, or 15 percent of the lot size, or 85 percent of the main house size, whichever is smallest. ... Seattle currently allows 1,000 square feet for ADUs that are part of the main house, and has proposed raising the limit for DADUs to 1,000 square feet.

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @Gerardo Ali You'll want to confirm but I'm 99% sure you're not allowed to add an ADU to an existing MF property in Tacoma.

    When they loosened their guidelines recently I read all the changes and am almost certain I saw this restriction. Google Tacoma WA ADU and I'm sure you'll find it.

    Good luck.

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    There are always exceptions, but as I understand the regs @Matt J. is correct. The ADU's reg's mentioned by other posters are for Single Family zoned properties, not Multifamily (lowrise) zoned. In Seattle this means a 650 sq ft DADU, but no additional ADU's (unless the zoning permits more units, but either way that would be adding additional units, not a ADU, to a multifamily.)

    95% of garage conversions are done without permits and are not legal, especially if the property is multifamily.

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.