Who to connect with as an investor

Who to connect with as an investor

Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 28 votes

Hey BP,

Everybody knows that your connections and networking is the most important thing in real estate. And I totally agree with that! I love connecting with people and getting to know them and what they do.

My questions is, as a person who plans to invest in the near future, but wants to set his foundation right now by getting to know the right people, what kind of people are the most important when it comes to connections? I'll give in an example to clarify my question.

I already can predict what most people are going to say: real estate agents!! While I value what a good real estate agent can bring to the table, I'd love to hear some other responses for 2 reasons. First, I am licensed myself and where I live (Los Angeles), in my experience working in acquisitions, there are not that many real estate agents that can bring me good deals. Most deals that RE agents bring are on market and are over priced. There are many other ways to find deals besides using agents.

So to continue my question, which party would bring the most value to the table? Would it be property managers, contractors, lenders, other investors, etc?

I'd love to hear your guys' opinions and why you think that is the most valuable party that can bring something to the table for an investor. And just to clarify, I am not looking to invest at this exact point of my life, but as soon as I get all the right pieces in place, I'll be ready to utilize all the connections I have made so far. 

Thanks!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Oleg Enik:

Hey BP,

Everybody knows that your connections and networking is the most important thing in real estate. And I totally agree with that! I love connecting with people and getting to know them and what they do.

My questions is, as a person who plans to invest in the near future, but wants to set his foundation right now by getting to know the right people, what kind of people are the most important when it comes to connections? I'll give in an example to clarify my question.

I already can predict what most people are going to say: real estate agents!! While I value what a good real estate agent can bring to the table, I'd love to hear some other responses for 2 reasons. First, I am licensed myself and where I live (Los Angeles), in my experience working in acquisitions, there are not that many real estate agents that can bring me good deals. Most deals that RE agents bring are on market and are over priced. There are many other ways to find deals besides using agents.

So to continue my question, which party would bring the most value to the table? Would it be property managers, contractors, lenders, other investors, etc?

I'd love to hear your guys' opinions and why you think that is the most valuable party that can bring something to the table for an investor. And just to clarify, I am not looking to invest at this exact point of my life, but as soon as I get all the right pieces in place, I'll be ready to utilize all the connections I have made so far. 

Thanks!

Oleg, you should be connecting with other INVESTORS!

Go to meetup.com and search "los angeles real estate investing." Join every meetup and start attending the virtual sessions.

Best,

Jon 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    If you are considering a hard money lender, I think it could benefit you to have an established relationship ahead of time - not to waste the lender's time, but to know what you can get pre-approved for and what other costs you might have when you do decide to purchase a property.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oleg Enik:

    Hey BP,

    Everybody knows that your connections and networking is the most important thing in real estate. And I totally agree with that! I love connecting with people and getting to know them and what they do.

    My questions is, as a person who plans to invest in the near future, but wants to set his foundation right now by getting to know the right people, what kind of people are the most important when it comes to connections? I'll give in an example to clarify my question.

    I already can predict what most people are going to say: real estate agents!! While I value what a good real estate agent can bring to the table, I'd love to hear some other responses for 2 reasons. First, I am licensed myself and where I live (Los Angeles), in my experience working in acquisitions, there are not that many real estate agents that can bring me good deals. Most deals that RE agents bring are on market and are over priced. There are many other ways to find deals besides using agents.

    So to continue my question, which party would bring the most value to the table? Would it be property managers, contractors, lenders, other investors, etc?

    I'd love to hear your guys' opinions and why you think that is the most valuable party that can bring something to the table for an investor. And just to clarify, I am not looking to invest at this exact point of my life, but as soon as I get all the right pieces in place, I'll be ready to utilize all the connections I have made so far. 

    Thanks!

    Oleg, you should be connecting with other INVESTORS!

    Go to meetup.com and search "los angeles real estate investing." Join every meetup and start attending the virtual sessions.

    Best,

    Jon 

  • Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Jon Schwartz Hey Jon, thanks for the reply! I have another question for you then? Why do you say it is the best to connect with investors? If let's say I am not planning on doing a joint venture with anyone, how would the connections with investors benefit me the most?

    Not disagreeing, but just curious to hear your opionion  

  • Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes Thanks Bonnie, I actually interned at a mortgage fund that specialized in hard money loans!

    Have you used a hard money lender in the past?

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oleg Enik:

    @Jon Schwartz Hey Jon, thanks for the reply! I have another question for you then? Why do you say it is the best to connect with investors? If let's say I am not planning on doing a joint venture with anyone, how would the connections with investors benefit me the most?

    Not disagreeing, but just curious to hear your opionion  

    To learn from them and for recommendations to the *best* agents, property managers, wholesalers, contractors, etc.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    @Oleg Enik that is great experience then! I have worked pretty closely with a few if you need any recommendations. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.