Syndications: How do you deal with the trust issue?

Syndications: How do you deal with the trust issue?

Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hi.  I am new to BP (former FatWallet member though!).  I have been investing in RE for ~10 years and hold 5 properties.  They have not been time-intensive, but I'm always interested in smart financial options.  The Google led me to this site from a different question (are there no companies that do all the work that mortgage servicers do without the mortgage part?), but the first forum post I saw was on real estate syndications.

Reading through the various threads on BP gave me a good overview of the concept, but very little information about the process and the risk.  In my other (professional) life, I work for a federal agency and have seen a lot of fraud.  Like, a lot.  And it usually comes in the form of people seeking investments and trusting individuals based on their pitch and purported credentials, which may or may not be honest/legitimate.  So the apparent word of mouth approach to syndications, frankly, raises a lot of questions in my mind.  

I know a ton of folks on BP are big fans of passive investing via syndications.  Can some of you provide some comfort -- or ways to get comfort -- about the approach and, as importantly, the people who are doing the managing?  In other words, how do people get past the trust issue?

5Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

References, Referrals, Research, and Long Term Relationship building. Background checks are recommended and good old fashioned Google searches can go a very long way. Also, frankly, not putting too many eggs in one basket. 

It also helps if you have a good understanding of the business and what a typical deal looks like in today's environment. If someone I'd never heard of were to approach me with a deal projecting well higher than the typical market return today, I would very quickly suspect either naivete or something worse.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    References, Referrals, Research, and Long Term Relationship building. Background checks are recommended and good old fashioned Google searches can go a very long way. Also, frankly, not putting too many eggs in one basket. 

    It also helps if you have a good understanding of the business and what a typical deal looks like in today's environment. If someone I'd never heard of were to approach me with a deal projecting well higher than the typical market return today, I would very quickly suspect either naivete or something worse.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Howard R., trust is hard to earn and easy to lose.  Like Taylor mentioned, references and research can go a long way.  

    You are in a slightly better position than others, in that you have owned rentals for a decade. While a SFR and a 200 unit apartment are not the same, there are components that are similar.

    Personally, I recommend anyone starting out talk to a lot of sponsors.  After a dozen, or more calls, you will start to get a sense of what a sales pitch is and which sponsors are legitimately outlining facts to let you make the best decision for yourself. 

    Another way I get comfortable with new groups is trying to get a sense if the sponsor is building a company or not.  While I don't want a group that is growing for growth's sake, real estate is not a passive investment.  It is not a hedge fund taking positions in other groups (although there are some groups that do this successfully).  I want to be investing in a company.  There should be employees: acquisition analysts, investor relations, accounting and finance.  The more layers, the better, as the more employees there are, the harder it is to hide fraudulent activities.

  • Investor · Garwood, NJ · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 66 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Howard R.:

    Hi.  I am new to BP (former FatWallet member though!).  I have been investing in RE for ~10 years and hold 5 properties.  They have not been time-intensive, but I'm always interested in smart financial options.  The Google led me to this site from a different question (are there no companies that do all the work that mortgage servicers do without the mortgage part?), but the first forum post I saw was on real estate syndications.

    Reading through the various threads on BP gave me a good overview of the concept, but very little information about the process and the risk.  In my other (professional) life, I work for a federal agency and have seen a lot of fraud.  Like, a lot.  And it usually comes in the form of people seeking investments and trusting individuals based on their pitch and purported credentials, which may or may not be honest/legitimate.  So the apparent word of mouth approach to syndications, frankly, raises a lot of questions in my mind.  

    I know a ton of folks on BP are big fans of passive investing via syndications.  Can some of you provide some comfort -- or ways to get comfort -- about the approach and, as importantly, the people who are doing the managing?  In other words, how do people get past the trust issue?


     Taylor and Evan gave great advice: references, referrals, research, and relationship building. As someone who is a control-freak myself, and who has owned and managed smaller rental properties locally, when I heard about syndication I was bit a skeptical too, which is why it took me nine months of doing research about syndication and getting to know different sponsors before I decided to invest passively for the first time. You have to ask a lot of questions, and the syndicator you are potentially investing with should have no problem answering them in a timely manner. There are a lot of syndicators and a lot of deals out there, so if anything feels or looks off to you, you can find someone else and another deal to invest in. Getting to know the GP is so important, and if you are feeling uncomfortable, say that, and see how they respond. I think their response can be very telling.

    Also, most people don't actually read the paperwork - the PPM is long and full of legalese, but it outlines all aspects of the deal - including what happens if something goes wrong, on what occasions passive investors have voting rights, and how to remove a general partnership team that is not performing. I suggest you take a look at it and ask questions before making this type of investment for the first time. Part of the reason why I decided to invest with the GP team I did for the first time is because they were voted in two times to save other deals from foreclosure when another sponsor wasn't performing. It's not just about what people can do when things are going as planned, but it's how they handle and overcome challenging times.

    Additionally, I think this goes without saying, but make sure whoever you are investing with has a great track record. You can speak to their other investors as a reference. 

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Having handled a good number of securities cases, I too have seen a lot of fraud and the one thing that resonates most with me most is that relatively few fraud artists start out that way.  In many cases, it is well meaning and experienced operators who begin by fudging numbers to "make the quarter" with the full intent of making up for the fudge in a subsequent quarter who in no time at all get neck deep in a Ponzi scheme.   In addition to vetting the operator, you have to be able to vet the deal itself.  Some never get over the trust issue.        

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Darius Ogloza:

    Having handled a good number of securities cases, I too have seen a lot of fraud and the one thing that resonates most with me most is that relatively few fraud artists start out that way.  In many cases, it is well meaning and experienced operators who begin by fudging numbers to "make the quarter" with the full intent of making up for the fudge in a subsequent quarter who in no time at all get neck deep in a Ponzi scheme.   In addition to vetting the operator, you have to be able to vet the deal itself.  Some never get over the trust issue.    

    Very true re: Ponzis. 

    I really appreciate people's suggestions to talk to sponsors.  But the idea of just reaching out to and relying upon random investment advisors -- with no centralized database of prior complaints or performance to rely upon -- is incredibly concerning.  Anyone who has dealt with fraudsters knows that they are best at conveying an air of success and competence.  That's why they are good at what they do.  It is a lot like asking someone if they can tell someone is lying.  Answer: they cannot.  

    So, maybe looking at this from a different angle:  is there any database of performance or sponsors that can be checked (like FINRA's BrokerCheck)?


  • Investor · Garwood, NJ · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 66 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Howard R.:
    Quote from @Darius Ogloza:

    Having handled a good number of securities cases, I too have seen a lot of fraud and the one thing that resonates most with me most is that relatively few fraud artists start out that way.  In many cases, it is well meaning and experienced operators who begin by fudging numbers to "make the quarter" with the full intent of making up for the fudge in a subsequent quarter who in no time at all get neck deep in a Ponzi scheme.   In addition to vetting the operator, you have to be able to vet the deal itself.  Some never get over the trust issue.    

    Very true re: Ponzis. 

    I really appreciate people's suggestions to talk to sponsors.  But the idea of just reaching out to and relying upon random investment advisors -- with no centralized database of prior complaints or performance to rely upon -- is incredibly concerning.  Anyone who has dealt with fraudsters knows that they are best at conveying an air of success and competence.  That's why they are good at what they do.  It is a lot like asking someone if they can tell someone is lying.  Answer: they cannot.  

    So, maybe looking at this from a different angle:  is there any database of performance or sponsors that can be checked (like FINRA's BrokerCheck)?


    Hey Howard - maybe you should invest through one of the platforms out there. I haven’t personally done that myself but I have heard that there are platforms that vet syndicators and deals before allowing them to post on the platform - perhaps those additional levels of vetting will help give you more confidence?
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Vet sponsors (and their offerings) over years, rather than weeks or months.  Invest with clubs who perform extensive diligence, including background and TLO checks, or perform them yourself.  Invest with sponsors with long track records.  Diversify into 20+ opportunities.  After 1-2 years of learning how to best passively invest, sponsor trust will be still be paramount but a non-event to get comfortable with.  The harder part is finding good opportunities.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 229 posts · 229 votes
    4y

    Investing is taking a chance. Either you want to take that chance or you don't. You can only calculate risk, you cannot eliminate it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Howard R. If the syndicator offers a mastermind group, that would be a great way to validate the syndicator and other ppl’s investing experience with them

  • Specialist · Member since 2021 · 322 posts · 273 votes
    4y

    Hey Howard,

    It comes down to vetting companies over long periods of time, point blank. Vet them by talking to the front line investor relations, then talk to their boss. Then if you can, talk to that persons boss and see how consistent the messaging/product is. That shows a unified, organized syndicator who knows what they are doing from a management perspective. Feel free to get as much detail about the operation of the property, the capital team, acquisitions etc. Read over the Private Placement Memorandum (PPM). This will be a long, wordy legal document but will go over all the details of the fund. The Offering Memorandum (OM) is also good, it will cover the main points of a fund but is usually marketing heavy.  If you can get a customer referral that is great as well. 

    Everyone else here has great points too, good luck in your journey! 

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Howard R..  Tech entrepreneur Ian Ippolito faced a similar question when he started investing in syndications about eight years ago. To help set up a clearinghouse for people to review Syndication, syndicators, and phones, he set up The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review. Since then, reportedly thousands of investors have joined to share their reviews and read reviews of others’ experiences.  Ian has also set up a Private Investor Club. (I say “reportedly” because syndicators and fund managers aren’t able to join the site, so I don’t have all the facts.)  


    I would also recommend getting the 2020 BP book, The Hands-Off Investor by @Brian Burke.  This is a 300+ page deep dive on how to review syndicators, fund managers, and deals. Happy investing!

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    4y

    In regard to institutional/syndicated real estate investments, the advice of an expert who works in the industry every day, knows all the players and their track records, and performs due diligence on each offering is a great benefit to you and comes to you at no cost. You might consider using an investment advisor to evaluate which offerings are suitable and promising.

    I'll add that when it comes to syndications, understanding how much debt and how it is structured is relevant to understanding the risk and the investment. Greater amounts of leverage may put your equity more at risk if there is a downturn in the economy. Having the leverage on the property increases the amount of property you can use for depreciation. If you invest 100K and the LTV is 50% the you have 200K of property to depreciate to help shelter your income.

    Understanding the debt is one part of the due diligence every investor should undertake. Of course there are many other aspects to the due diligence, including knowledge and inspection of the properties.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Moore:

    Hi @Howard R..  Tech entrepreneur Ian Ippolito faced a similar question when he started investing in syndications about eight years ago. To help set up a clearinghouse for people to review Syndication, syndicators, and phones, he set up The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review. Since then, reportedly thousands of investors have joined to share their reviews and read reviews of others’ experiences.  Ian has also set up a Private Investor Club. (I say “reportedly” because syndicators and fund managers aren’t able to join the site, so I don’t have all the facts.)  


    I would also recommend getting the 2020 BP book, The Hands-Off Investor by @Brian Burke.  This is a 300+ page deep dive on how to review syndicators, fund managers, and deals. Happy investing!

     This is good advice and I absolutely encourage you to purchase @Brian Burke's book - The Hands Off Investor. I have read many real estate investing books and none of them even come close to be as complete, honest and down right step for step than this book. Even if you never invest in or do your own syndication, this book will hands down help you understand the math and strategies behind due diligence.

    As to the comment above from someone stating investing is trusting, it is but remember this, trust, but VERIFY. Lots of folks talk a big game and tell you about there accomplishments, but they hide their failures and misfortunes. There are a small handful, myself included, who have well documented their failures as those can be some of the best and strongest learning lessons for us investors. I posted about mine because I wanted to help others not make the same mistakes I did. I have read and spoken to others on their mistakes to not repeat them in my business and it has helped a lot. 

    It is easy to be all chocolates and roses when things are going great, but when the s#!t hits the fan, that is when true character is discovered. Find someone who has been through several market cycles, particularly a down cycle and see how they acted and performed through verifiable due diligence. That is your best inside look at someone (or a company).

    For passive investing, I don't think you can do better than invest with a proven sponsor who has an extraordinary performance history. Also keep in mind that higher returns also typically come with higher risk factors so mitigate with due diligence and wise investments with solid financials, not "what if" pipe dreams.

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    4y

    First and foremost, you have to build trust with the sponsors you are investing in.  This is probably even more important than the deal itself.  Track record and referrals are a great way to vet a sponsor.  You are "protected" with the legal documents you sign to participate in these deals, to a certain extent.  But I recommend building relationships with a few different sponsors.  Follow their journey for some time and decide which one you build the most rapport with.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Duncan Hayes:

    Investing is taking a chance. Either you want to take that chance or you don't. You can only calculate risk, you cannot eliminate it. 

    For sure thats true. but direct CRE investing eliminates a lot of subjective risk. I'd much rather put my own dollars to work when I have total control. Why not just control the dirt yourself? @Howard R.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I had 11 rentals from 2009-2015. Then I went into syndications. Feel free to reach out.

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    This is a great discussion.  I appreciate the collegial nature of the responses; I was a little worried there would be some hard feelings on one end of the spectrum or the other.  I will heed the advice above and take it slow, with plenty of research.  Not sure that I will ever get over the trust hump, but we'll see. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.