First investment property; BRRRR or Buy

First investment property; BRRRR or Buy

Investor · Ithaca · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I'm new to real estate investing and I'm not sure what the best first move is. I have only ever purchased my existing home that I mostly rehabbed myself.  I have some start up capital but I'm pretty gun shy to spend it.

I have seen a few rental properties in my price range that I think will cash flow but I would have to invest most of my capital and thus limiting my ability to acquire more than one property.

I like the idea of BRRRR because it allows for faster growth however it seems like there are more potential pitfalls. I can do some rehab myself but with time constraints and depending on what the property needed I think it would be best to use a contractor. However I have only hired a contractor once (Bath Planet of the Southern Tier) and it was a huge headache and it would have been less stressful if I did it myself. For me BRRRR just seems a little daunting to take on for a first time investment.

What are other BP users experience or thoughts regarding a first time investor? 

I live outside of Ithaca NY and would like to keep my investment within the Finger Lakes area, once again another mental block, it makes me nervous to have all my money (investment) far away from me. 

Thanks for any help.

Brian 

1Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephanie JacobsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 427 posts · 323 votes
    4y

    Hi @Brian Christensen! You're in a fantastic region for BRRRRing, if you can identify the right property in this crazy market. Around here for BRRRR, you really have to buy right. The property will appreciate naturally, but there's always the temptation to compete and pay too much for the purchase, or to over-renovate. (I've personally fallen for both in Tompkins County!) You're absolutely correct in identifying holding costs (time) being something to watch like a hawk.

    In my opinion, buying with the intention to BRRRR is no more risky than any other strategy, as long as you're realistic about whatever the property needs to increase value- whether it's physical improvement or tenant stabilization. BRRRR is really just an exit strategy, but you're not necessarily bound to it if something changes. You can hold it and wait, or flip it, or any other number of solutions. Don't get hung up too much on one specific exit strategy- consider many, and be open to possibilities.

    The biggest battle you'll have at the moment is inventory problems. Downtown Ithaca is experiencing a TON of competition, but the areas around both Ithaca and Watkins Glen particularly are much more accessible, and increasingly desirable. 

    Don't be overwhelmed! There are plenty of options even in this market. Please feel free to reach out, I'd be happy to help!

  • Investor · Ithaca · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thank You Stephanie!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.